Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Everywhere All at Once

• 14-12-2021 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭

Multiverses may be quickly becoming de rigueur, but as this is from Dan Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (Swiss Army Man), it could be inventive fun. And Yeoh is awesome.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think Swiss Army Man was more interesting as a zany concept than an actual movie, but this does look impressive.

I mean, if you’re going to do a multiverse movie, at least do so firing on all visual cylinders. And hire the great Michelle Yeoh and James Hong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

James Hong? 92 and still ticking, what a pro.

This looks utterly insane, in the best possible way. Say what you will, A24 rarely go half-àssed and this looks ....Uh. full? Àss?

As said multiverses have become mainstream but I'll immediately give my attention to anything that tries to be a bit different. Michelle Yeoh is a great choice for lead; she gets too many cameos and smaller parts; being completely wasted in Shang Chi, most recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

You had me at "Michelle Yeoh and James Hong"

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Hallaz

A lot packed in there, feels like the movie could be 5 hours long!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

It's A24, it easily could be 5 hours long 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Swiss Army man was one of those films where the tailer was better than the movie for me so I hope this isn't the same since it looks like great fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There was a bit of uncertainty around the release date of this in Ireland the last week or two. A UK release date of May 13th was announced, but then the Light House said they'd been told May 20th for Ireland. But now it seems as if it's May 13th here after all as well. So not long left to go at all, and seems Cineworld has an Unlimited Screening on May 10th as well.

The rapturous response from the US has me both excited and somewhat cautious! As an aside though, I didn't pick out from the trailer that Ke Huy Quan, one of the leads, is 'Short Round' from Indiana Jones and 'Data' in The Goonies. He's been getting lots of praise for his work here (alongside Yeoh and the rest of the cast) and really great to see him having a career renaissance after all these years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do you mean to say May, not March? Am also looking forward to a chance to see this, the hype though has been unreal.

I mean, does time *really* mean anything anymore?

(But yes, May :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,699 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Saw it last week over here - loved it! So weird and wild, like a schizophrenic multiverse version of The Matrix, and at the same time waaaay more emotionally impactful than it has any right to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Really Looking forward to this. I’m struggling to make the 7.40 tonight in coolock odeon, might just have to wait until it’s out proper at weekend.

Went to this today, was nothing like I expected but it really resonated with me. I would give it 9/10 for how it stayed with me long after the movie was over, in a profound way. It’s also bonkers at times but if you just go with it , it’s worth it.

This is not like a Paul Anderson movie but I have to say I found the emotional punch comparable with punch drunk love and magnolia.

This Is not an action movie, I’d argue it’s not even a fantasy movie. I don’t know how to put up spoilers but not even sure the following is technically a spoiler but want to warn I preferred knowing little about this going into it. So don’t read next bit if you’d rather go in blind.

For me the movie was about connection and meaning in life even when it can all seem so pointless . I’d say more but I don’t oreally want to spoil what others may (or may not) get from this.

I challange anybody who has felt lonely or feels lost in life to keep their eyes dry throughout. I admit I had some dust in my eyes for parts of the movie! Im glad I went on my own to this as it’s one of those movies that is not necessarily gonna resonate with everybody.

I enjoyed it a lot, with a few reservations.

The two Daniels really went all in with the visual and editing potential of the multiverse concept. The film is visually chaotic, and I mean that in a good way. Images are constantly clashing and overlapping and breaking apart and that’s exactly how it should be. ‘Multiverses’ are in vogue in superhero land now, but not one of them (apart from Spiderverse, naturally!) has or will have a fraction of the filmmaking imagination this one has. Whether it’s a pitch perfect Wong Kar Wai homage or a bizarre Ratatouille satire, there’s never a shortage of cool ideas on display. The frequent fight scenes are shot with clarity and oomph, and the storytelling and flow remains coherent even when images only stick around for a few frames (if even, in the film’s most striking multiverse collisions).

Michelle Yeoh is always great, and Ke Huy Quan is a delight. Kudos to Jamie Lee Curtis for being so game for everything.

High concept stuff aside, the underlying story of family and the power of kindness is sweet if a little simplistic and predictable. It’s definitely charming overall, but a certain amount of repetition does set in as the film progresses. It’s quite a long film and despite the relentless pace it does kind of get caught up repeating itself or over-egging the pudding a good few times. Thankfully there are lots of delightful, warm-hearted moments in the extended finale that make it worthwhile. I did feel they maybe made Evelyn a bit too much of an asshole in the first half of the film - if our sympathies weren’t naturally drawn to Michelle Yeoh, that’d be more of an issue.

It’s perhaps the humour that left me most on the fence. Don’t get me wrong, some of it is very funny. But between this and Swiss Army Man I’m definitely not totally on Daniels’ wavelength when it comes to gags. Some of the ‘bits’ here definitely overstay their welcome, including a few that weren’t super funny first time around (personally could’ve done with fewer visits to the hotdog universe). Again, there are definitely funny bits - and your mileage will vary! But the rapid fire humour ranges from random dildo gags to high-concept visual flights of fancy, so it’s no surprise the hit rate is a bit all over the place.

But all in all it’s anarchic fun - all over the place by design, and generally better for it. I honestly found my impressions of it wavering as it went along - it’s quite the voyage - but ultimately I think I settled on ‘this is pretty good’. That makes for a plenty worthwhile Friday night at the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I'm going to this later this evening knowing very little about it but I suspect, having read your thoughts, that It may be a film that I'll really like.

Post edited by santana75 on

Enjoy,

I know I said it’s not an action or fantasy movie as it certainly is and I’m sure to some the action/fantasy/ crazy/funny stuff will be more then entertaining on its own. But that was just eye candy, fun background stuff for me.

What really surprised me was that I felt the underlying Themes of connection and being nice to each other were what singles this movie out. I thought it was a beautiful reminder to what gives life meaning , particularly when you feel so lost and everything feels pointless. You could hate the crazy stuff and still take something meaningful from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I enjoyed it a lot even though I was confused as to which universe was which at any given time. I'd agree the above comment in relation to the hotdog universe.......I didn't warm to that at all. But what I did warm to was Michele Yeoh's husband, he was brilliant. Afterwards I looked up the cast only to find that he is none other than short round himself! That blew my mind, I always wondered what happened to him. He's so good in this and I really hope this will be a springboard to even bigger and better things. Jamie Lee Curtis is also brilliant and all in all a unique, energetic sometimes profound movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

A fantastic movie with a big heart.

Don’t know how to say anymore without spoilers but I think if I started typing that I’d be here for hours as there is so much to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm fully on board this train! I went in with very high expectations having heard all the praise it's getting and it exceeded every one. I think it's a masterpiece, it made me laugh, gasp, and cry. It so much heart but it never lets up on the entertainment either. The performances are all superb and it looks **** gorgeous. One of my favourite films of all time.

There better be a directors’ commentary on the home release

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

What an absolutely absurd movie (the random scenes, not the fairly straightforward underlying story).....but I enjoyed every minute of it. A movie with so many laugh out loud moments and complete ridiculous scenes has no right to hit you in the feels.

Now, how on earth do you describe this to someone to convince them to watch it? 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Looking forward to this , Sundays viewing 😂

Checkov's Butt Plug.

Came for the visual inventiveness and unrepentantly absurdist approach to the multiverse, but stayed for the surprisingly sweet, human tale; this was the 2nd fantasy film watched in 12 months about Chinese immigrant mothers, struggling to understand their young daughters. No question, this will be a Film of the Year contender - and may persist past that when totting up films of the decade. This was cinema flourished as a tool to express our wildest ideas, without constraint or mandate. The madness will probably be what most people talk about, but it was all underpinned by a really bittersweet story of regret and connection; a beating empathic heart that kept events relatable as they spiralled into gleeful silliness.

Every performance was absolutely fantastic; and while Michelle Yeoh was the star, Ke Huy Quan ran away with it, playing a half dozen variants of himself, each with charisma and varying degrees of heartbreak worn across his face. And a small shout-out for James Hong: 93 years and still acting with wily authority.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I saw this today and it was absolutely excellent, easily one of the best things I've seen in the last couple of years and doing a great job on both the absurdist fantasy elements and the character elements, with a much stronger emotional punch than I might normally expect from a film playing with concepts like the multiverse.

@pixelburp

what is the other film?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yes, Turning Red. Basically both films had the same thematic backbone within their main characters. The Pixar film seemed to come from the writer/director's own youth; but funny how cinematic coincidences occur.

Post edited by pixelburp on

Two big budget asteroid movies

Two buddy cop dog movies

:)

There was even a movie similar to Phone Booth. Can’t remember the name though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,579 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Echo some of what's already been said in the thread......absurd over the top fun. Some genuine laugh out loud moments and never strays too far from its tongue-in-cheek approach to the overall story. While a relatively simple outline of a family story plays against an entire chaotic multi-universe backdrop, the fast pace never allows space to question too much, and while not an easy job to corral all this together, the filmmakers done a relatively admirable job keeping the strands coherent, not to mention allowing its absurdities to actually feel at home in the proceedings.

But, that fast pace flow doesn't lend itself entirely to what is an unnecessarily long run-time, which does let it down a small bit, which is a shame. Perhaps a tighter hand was needed in the editing suite, especially after the first hour, to perhaps trim it by 15-20mins. 140mins isn't extreme in the grand scheme of things nowadays, but given the breezy feel of this and how quickly the events are established across the small range of characters, there's a soft lull which is somewhat distracting. Having said that, at least the filmmakers were allowed to have the film in this form at all.

All in all, a very solid recommendation, and a very fun way to spend a couple hours. Yeoh is excellent as always, with Short Round providing an excellent foil, and it's always fun to see James Hong enjoying himself even with his advanced years.

Advertisement