Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Everywhere All at Once

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 YourBoyCaesar

What a masterpiece of a film

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The first half does a lot of the heavy lifting with regards to setting up the whole multiverse side of things and the overall premise of the film, and can kind of drag a bit in places, but it's definitely the second half of the film where it all comes together and there's more focus on the personal story of the characters. Ultimately there's no real need to try to follow the rules or premise of the multiverse. Just enjoy the craziness and comedy of the first half, then enjoy the second half is where the film gets truly special.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Am I so out of touch? No. It's the Academy who are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

I did not like it either, no idea what was happening in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Where can you watch this film?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Thanks. I'll have a look at it during the week.

Anyother of the Oscar winner films on Amazon/Netflix do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

All Quiet On The Western Front is on Netflix

https://www.justwatch.com/ie is a handy website, you can search for any film or series and it'll tell you what it's on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Watched this last night and found the film to be an utter mess, had to give up half way through it.

• Advertisement

It's not a film you can judge at the halfway point, I really believe that

I love it. It's not perfect (I don't think it needs the hotdog fingers or buttplugs 🤣) but, at its best, it's imaginative, original, joyful, heartfelt

I don't think it deserved 7 Oscars, that is a sign of a weak year to me, but I'm delighted it won them all the same

Post edited by Electric Nitwit on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There are very few films that can be judged comprehensively based on half the film, but this is definitely one that is very purposefully wild and disorientating for much of its running time. What allows it to work beyond just being a wacky multiverse action-comedy is how smartly the filmmakers pull everything together to offer up a coherent, charming and often moving family drama amid the wild multiverse goings on.

As I said in my original post for the film, I do have my reservations around the film. But it's one of the more refreshing Oscar winners of recent times - it would have been inconceivable not so long ago that a film this unusual would've won awards like this. A world - or indeed, several multiverses - away from your typical 'Oscar bait'.

You certainly can make a judgement at the halfway point, a film should not be confusing at that point

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wouldn't that then discount a great number of Mystery and Whodunnits though; whose entire premise is built on confusion, then surprise? Manys a film is intentionally baffling til the final act and the pieces put into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Celmullet

This one wasn't for me. I love an absurdist film but thought this was bloated, it didn't make me care about the characters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Call me old fashioned, but I do think watching a film through is the bare minimum engagement to have much of a response to it. If you turn it off midway through, fair enough, that's your right - but you basically surrender your ability to have much of a take on the film as a whole as a result.

TBH, I don't think the film is that confusing. Yes, it's disorientating at times, particularly in its first half - but that largely reflects Evelyn's confusion at being thrown into this new, wild reality. What's made the film go the distance with audiences I think is that the core themes of the film are very straightforward and relatable - it is quite a big-hearted, sentimental film about family underneath all the alternate universes and butt-plug kung-fu shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,239 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the issue is in trying to follow the logic of the multiverse etc, when it's actually entirely irrelevant. The second half of the movie shows that it's really the personal story of Evelyn's relationships and even of her own self-worth and the multiverse stuff is just a delivery service of that but amped up to the nth degree. It's designed to not really make sense or be important, and it's resolved through the personal relationships of the characters rather than any kind of solution.

The movie throws so much strange stuff at you in the first half that it can be hard to follow, and even on rewatches I've kinda tuned out for sections of it (because I know what it's leading to), but the second half is just so good that it makes it all worth it imo.

But then you could watch a different film, if this film was badly written or the acting was terrible then 45 mins would be plenty of time to conclude that it's a poor film.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jeremyr62

Couldn't finish it. I am amazed it has won what it has. I didn't like The Whale either, but at least I could watch that to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Oh right so films like The Usual Suspects, Inception or Sixth Sense, to name but a few are all rubbish to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I'm going to have to make an effort to re-watch this, I started it on a flight last year but gave up in the first half hour.

I have to go back to 2020 to Parasite for a best picture winner that I had any real love for.

I turned it off after 35 mins, total rubbish.

I watched it long enough to see Jamie Lee Curtis play a grumpy IRS agent with a performance that would be at home in a Police Academy movie. How that was Oscar worthy I have no clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I'm delighted to see this film win so many oscars. It wasn't perfect but overall it was a lovely film to watch. I'm surprised how negative people are towards it.

...how negative people who didn't watch it all are towards it 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well you hadn't seen all of her performance so it's hard to take your criticism seriously.

I don't often agree with the Oscars, but in general rubbish films don't get nominated and certainly don't sweep the boards like this did so maybe , just maybe your 35 minute opinion is wrong.

Post edited by murpho999 on

And where did I say that? All 3 of those films are brilliant, the difference is those 3 films have an excellent and engaging first hour with great acting, EEAAO has a weak first hour.

I saw 5 minutes of Jamie Lee Curtis put in a standard/forgettable comedic performance sitting at a desk in the IRS building.

Are you saying she turns in a drastically better performance later in the movie? If so tell me the timestamp and by all means i'll check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Timestamp? Grow up and watch the movie, or don't. but don't be criticising when you barely saw a quarter of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I watched all of it. Regretted not turning it off half-way through.

Giving up on a film (etc) half-way through is perfectly reasonable.

It struck me as a good kid's film, but with too many tedious fight scenes for my liking.

• Advertisement

Giving up on a film halfway is perfectly reasonable, your time is your own and not liking what you've seen is fine

But watching half and saying it's not a good film, and arguing with people who watched it all, and say it all comes together in the end, is ridiculous

(Not aiming that at you, of course. You watched it all, so I respect your opinion)

Advertisement