Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should gender reassignment surgery be covered by public health funding?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

The thing is though, he's right. Purely cosmetic

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fandymo threadbanned

Gender reassignment is purely cosmetic. Surely that can be agreed by all sides of the "trans" argument?

We all know that the surgery does nothing except make the individual feel they are closer to their preferred sex (while in reality they are absolutely no way closer to being biologically their preferred sex)?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not really - cosmetic surgery is about making making someone physcially attractive in their own minds, transitioning is about making you feel more genuine in your own mind.

I don't really know how you can say "Gender reassignment is purely cosmetic. Surely that can be agreed by all sides of the "trans" argument?" unless you've been through it or been close to someone who has.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

I’ve read quite a number of articles from legitimate authoritative sources, as above, that there a fairly significant association between autism & gender dysphoria. For reasons unknown there has been either an actual increase in autism, or an apparent one due to awareness and neuro-psychiatric reclassification.

There is a suggestion above somewhere along the lines that poorer impulse control may be underlying a lack of being able to cope with feelings of desire/curiosity about fitting into the counter-birth-gender. The explanation seems to lie in the notion that many people entertain ideas of being the alternative birth gender from time to time, but that it becomes more persistent and overwhelming in people who are not neurotypical. Interesting scientific research area, may eventually produce more satisfactory medical solutions for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

For reasons unknown there has been either an actual increase in autism, or an apparent one due to awareness and neuro-psychiatric reclassification.

The reason for the apparent increase in people being diagnosed with some form of autism is well known - the criteria for a diagnosis of autism were broadened so widely to such a degree that practically anyone would fit the criteria for a diagnosis of autism to some degree. The correlation between gender variance and autism is thought to be about 30% of autistic people.

There’s nothing to support the idea of there being any sort of a causal relationship between autism and gender incongruence though, any more than there is anything to support a causal relationship between clinical depression and autism, or clinical depression and gender incongruence for example.

I’d take a lot of that research you’re reading with a pinch of salt though tbh, because the diagnostic criteria for autism are so broad now that it’s influenced the legitimacy of a couple of… dare I say, absolute nutters, people who are of the belief that autism is a curable condition -

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/autism/autism-and-everyday-life/fake-and-harmful-treatments/

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

oh give over !

boo hoo , just looking for victomhood status ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Even if the criteria for autism diagnoses was broadened, you would expect all being equal to see an equivalent proportion of non gender dysphoric people being diagnosed with autism. The fact that gender dysphoric people have higher rates implies a relationship between the two worth exploring.

Kinda depends - are you totally comfortable with transgender people and their rights to adjust their bodies at they see fit without judgement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik, the broadening of the criteria for autism doesn't explain the apparent increase. IIRC, they've tried to go back and do a comparative analysis and it's generally agreed that actual levels of autism are increasing in the western world. The current theory is that it's down to increasing maternal and paternal ages; both known to correlate to higher autism diagnoses in children.

It's a bit like increasing cancer rates; we are getting better at finding it, but it is also increasing in real terms due to longer lifespans.

It's a bit aside. The relationship between GD and Autism is very much worth exploring to see how solid it is. Certainly it provides considerable weight against the erroneous claim that GD is a mental illness or a choice.

It's something of a fascinating insight into just how much the sense of "self" is hardwired into the brain architecture during gestation, and not at all related to physical attributes or DNA.

You wouldn’t though, even if all things were equal and there weren’t lengthy waiting lists for a diagnosis of either autism or gender incongruence. Small scale studies, and I mean really, really small scale studies, just aren’t credible enough to be suggesting the kinds of correlations which are being suggested using self-selecting criteria for these studies.

Worth exploring? Sure, anything is worth exploring, but when research, and in particular the enormous volume of published works by one clinician in particular are being used as the basis to determine policy, that’s where things get quare hairy, as already happened with one of the experts giving evidence in the judicial inquiry into the Tavistock Institute.

Same chap that put forward the idea of a relationship between autism and gender incongruence in the first place is the same chap who developed the criteria for a diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome, is the same chap who has over 500 research papers published on PubMed, influencing much of the research and development that’s being conducted in the area of child psychology and development -

Christopher Gillberg's extensive research (more than 500 publications indexed on the PubMed data base), has significantly contributed to the field of child and adolescent neuropsychiatry/developmental medicine in areas such as autism spectrum disorders, ADHD, epilepsy, intellectual disability, oppositional defiant disorder/conduct disorder, Tourette syndrome and anorexia nervosa. He is the most productive researcher of autism in the world. His research ranges from basic neuroscience, genetics and epidemiology, through to clinical presentations and prognosis, intervention and treatment. He is the founding editor of the journal European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, and is the author and editor of many scientific and educational books and has written at least 30 books in these fields, which have been published in a wide variety of languages.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Gillberg

Its an idea that’s been around since the 80’s, got legs in the 90’s, and been ramped up to current levels as more research is being done into both autism, and gender variance, in children -

https://www.appliedbehavioranalysisedu.org/what-is-the-connection-between-autism-and-gender-dysphoria/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You wouldn’t though, even if all things were equal and there weren’t lengthy waiting lists for a diagnosis of either autism or gender incongruence.

But if all things were equal you would expect to see the same amounts of diagnoses in each group, we're not saying that all things are equal, but if they were you should see equal autistic in both groups. Otherwise there is some factor causing an increased correlation with autism in one group.

Unless you are trying to say trans people are autistic??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Or perhaps it means that people with autism are far more easily groomed by on-line groups that they depend on for social contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fairly arrogant to think that the world's psychologists are being duped by a few people online who are "grooming" autistic people into becoming transgender, but you know better.

This "grooming" argument was bandied around a lot in the 80s during the gay panic. That the gays were going around grooming kids into becoming gay.

People don't choose to be transgender, and thinking otherwise makes someone look as ignorant as claiming that being gay is a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Yeah, thousands of teens (predominantly girls) who've never presented as trans suddenly claiming to suffer 'rapid onset gender dysphoria' after spending all their time on TickTok being told that everything from their depression to their discomfort with puberty means that they are trans isn't a thing.... sure Jan....

These are the same girls that were 'cutters' when I was in school, bulimic and anorexic once Lady Di popularised eating disorders and now they're the same bunch grasping at gender identity as the latest trend to gain validation.

Psychologist are making massive bank off the back of all this and most that are doing so are shady as hell, the rest are just terrified of being cancelled.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10793507/Top-psychologist-says-half-patients-identify-transgender.html

No, that’s not what I’m saying at all, but it’s easy to understand the reason for the confusion 😂

Basically, it has everything to do with the way the data is being represented and expressed, depending upon what their objective is in doing so. To make it easy to understand, consider the following two statements -

The percentage of transgender people who display autistic traits is thought to be about 30%

The percentage of autistic people who display gender variant traits, is thought to be about 30%

You can see how both statements refer to two different groups of people. There’s overlap between the two groups, certainly, but the higher prevalence of one or other, or both conditions being observed is due to the fact that they are being referred for study in the first place, or they are self-reporting surveys.

One of the largest self-reported studies is this one -

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/largest-study-to-date-confirms-overlap-between-autism-and-gender-diversity/amp/

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/amp/transgender-and-gender-diverse-adults-more-likely-to-be-diagnosed-as-autistic-university-of-cambridge-study-finds-9118927/

These kinds of studies are used by some people who claim that people who are transgender are being misdiagnosed, when they are diagnosed with autism and gender incongruence. It’s just about plausible if a person were inclined to want to draw correlations, ignoring the fact that neither the vast majority of people who are transgender, are autistic, and the vast majority of people who are autistic, aren’t transgender.

Looking at the small scale studies, and again, they really are tiny, like figures of 100 subjects, because follow-up is difficult, autistic traits remain stable in adults who are transgender following cross-sex hormone treatment -

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8726673/

The point being - they’re completely separate and distinct conditions, and shouldn’t be conflated to argue that people who are autistic should be denied treatment for gender incongruence, and people who experience gender incongruence shouldn’t be denied treatment because it’s assumed the condition is related to autism.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

So you hate trans people? Thanks for telling us have a wonderful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I totally disagree with the points you made in your first paragraph and all the points you made in your second paragraph.

Just goes to show how small-minded and backwards you are.

Maybe if you met a Trans person you might change your mind. Do you think someone chooses to be Trans?

No one chooses to be Trabs its not an easy life.

Yes I think Trans Surgery's should be carried out in this Country and paid for by the public purse.

It's a disgrace to have to go to another country for FFS or a Vaginoplasty or a Vulvaplasty or for a FtM for Top Surgery.

It benefits the person and society in the long run because they can live as there true authentic self and become a more productive member of society so it is worth it for society to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But at the same time people have to travel to other countries for boob Jobs , facial surgeries and or weight loss surgery , dental surgery.

One surgery carried out barely two times a year might help one person while something like weight loss surgery could improve thousands a year and save the hse hundreds of millions in savings

Post edited by Gatling on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

doctors rarely take the hippocratic oath and its even rarer for it to include that statement

You do understand of course that plastic surgery for clinical reasons, is not the same as cosmetic surgery?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20279248.html

There’s no reason the HSE doesn’t do both. It’s the whole purpose of a public healthcare system - that it isn’t subject to the whims of the public and individuals personal preferences and what procedures they argue shouldn’t be available to the public, when they’ve been available to the public for the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

not necessarily true though, i think alot of people who get 'cosmetic' surgery would argue it is for themselves and not just to be considered more attractive by others

again, i think they may have been trying to say that one may argue that their 'cosmetic' surgery is clinical for them due to their own circumstances

not agreeing with either necessarily, but i can understand the argument

@Gatling knows full well what he’s saying, and he knows full well it’s BS too, because he’s well aware of the difference between the two different circumstances -

Patients receive “plastic” surgery following a clinical diagnosis by a medical consultant and it is not provided merely by request from a patient.

Patients availing of gender affirmation surgeries abroad, which aren’t available in this country, are as entitled as anyone else is to public healthcare, regardless of however many other people there are on waiting lists for other treatments and procedures.

Doubt it - the only thig I'd class for themsevles is breast reduction because i know someone who had it done and even then it was health related.

But in any case cosmetic surgery is not seen as corrective were as transitioning is.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

You call it small minded, I call it logical and grounded in reality and biological fact. As I said nobody is going to change my mind, especially not someone like you trying to demean what I believe in, because you've bought in 100% on this.

Listen to the nonsense you spout about this surgery being paid for because some one can be their "true authentic self" and become a more "productive" member of society. My authentic self is a rich guy who doesn't work and sits by the pool all day but the government sure as **** aren't going to make my dreams a reality. You're either a productive member of society or you are not and there are consequences for both lifestyles, but if your "feelings" and the appeasement of same determines how productive you are, you need some to do some serious emotional maturing first before worrying about anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Listen to the nonsense you spout about this surgery being paid for because some one can be their "true authentic self" and become a more "productive" member of society. My authentic self is a rich guy who doesn't work and sits by the pool all day but the government sure as **** aren't going to make my dreams a reality.

It is not nonsense. It is the truth.

Some people are born in the wrong body and many are Christian and Jew and bodism and many other religions too but they to realise they were born in the wrong body. I myself would not let myself be brainwashed by any religion or my society either. We all decided our own faith. All we can do is live the best life we can and treat others how you would like them to treat you.

There is nothing stopping you being rich. Work hard do the lotto (even do its fixed) invent something everyone needs or wants or use a talent you have that could make you rich. Do a You-Tube video on something or that other video place thankfully I forget what it is called but its Chinese and was all the rage there for a while.

Do Crypto Currency or the new things NFTs and get rich that way of you are good at investing.

There has never been a better time to get Rich or become rich if you know what you are at or have talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Its absolutely not bs .

Because you can't find an essay to counter it .

Must be a first

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No.

If a person wants this procedure they should pay for it themsleves.

• Advertisement

At this rate you’re either clueless, or wilfully ignorant, when it’s been pointed out to you already what the difference is between cosmetic plastic surgery, and corrective plastic surgery -

Patients receive “plastic” surgery following a clinical diagnosis by a medical consultant and it is not provided merely by request from a patient.

It doesn’t get any clearer than that. The surgery is recommended by a medical professional following a clinical diagnosis, as opposed to your opinion based upon nothing more than sheer wilful ignorance.

Advertisement