Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should gender reassignment surgery be covered by public health funding?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It comes from the Oireachtas, which is where all public funding comes from, which comes from income from the Exchequer. Public healthcare is provided for as part of an obligation of the State by Government.

There’s plenty of different services people are free to disagree with, but there’s a lot more involved in these decisions as to whether or not to provide them than individuals own personal feelings on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,261 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

@Subzero3 That world seem fair - I think this already happens anyway?

@Fandymo just to let you know m-to-f transitions don't involve castration or surgery. Perhaps breast implants, but that would be it. Its done with hormones.

Have you actually done research into into costs?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Sexual Reassignment Surgery (SRS) used to affirm ones gender identity involves castration in the case of mtf.

The same surgery for ftm trans involves a mastectomy.

Giving hormones to "transition" is not the same as reassignment surgery, which is the topic of this thread.

just to let you know m-to-f transitions don't involve castration or surgery. Perhaps breast implants, but that would be it. Its done with hormones.

It’s dependent upon the patient as to whether or not surgeries are required. I have no doubt Fandymo is well aware of what’s involved, but it wouldn’t sound nearly so casual as he intended if he were to outline what surgeries are actually covered under the treatment abroad scheme, and what surgeries aren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭victor8600

Since we are being mercantile, let's calculate, shall we? How much does a person cost to you?

Let's take a Séan who grew up in Ireland, his parents spend €200K raising him, the state spent €150K educating and providing other facilities. Now Séan wants to become Siobhán and it really affects her productivity and happiness. The state may chose

• NOT to help: As a result Séan/Siobhán will either emigrate (no more taxes from her to Ireland) or will likely drain state's resources fighting depression and not paying as much in taxes as she could, OR
    • the state DOES help: at a miserly expense compared to the total potential tax revenue from Siobhán, she stays in Ireland, contributes to the economy and pays taxes year after year.

It does. That still doesn’t mean all gender affirmation surgeries are covered under the public healthcare system. There are only some surgeries are covered, and others that aren’t. I know you know there’s no surgeries involve chopping off mickeys, but y’know, reality just wouldn’t be as heeeeeelarious 😒

Fair point, I missed the word surgery. Still doesn't appear to invovle castration, though, as the other posted claimed (open to correction though, don't really have time to fully reasearch at the moment!).

The procedure, called an orchiectomy, may be involved. In layman’s terms it’s castration, hardly worth arguing over the terminology.

There’s a good insight into the workings of the National Gender Service here -

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/the-function-demand-limits-and-future-of-the-national-gender-service-1.4755189

Gender affirming surgery is another option. Most people attending the NGS decide not to have surgery. For those that do, we have surgical pathways for all of the major gender affirming surgical options including gender affirming chest surgery (mastectomy or breast removal and mammoplasty or breast enhancement), and gender affirming genital surgery (including reconstructive surgery of the genitals to form a vagina or phallus). Sadly, given a lack of public sector access to these operations in Ireland, most people travel abroad for surgery with funding support via the Cross Border Directive (for chest surgery) or the Treatment Abroad Scheme (for genital surgery). There is very limited private sector access to chest surgery in Ireland and no access to genital surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The only way it doesn't involve castration is through social transition,if they choose to have full gender surgery they are getting a one way ticket to castration , considering what has to be done to create a vagina from a penis .

But that's only if the person chooses to medically transition.

Other wise it's just a case of self identifying as one or the other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

Absolutely not, it's franken-surgery and the rates of complications and horrendous outcomes are extremely high, leaving many that undergo it in lifelong debilitating pain at worst and endlessly dilating an open would on their body to avoid it closing up at best, which is probably why suicide rates for people with gender dysphoria do not decline with 'gender affirming surgery'. Many get little from it but a life filled with regret and no sexual functionality. No other elective surgery with such poor outcomes would ever be permitted.

Plus, think of all the theater hours that could be better allocated for people with a serious need for life saving surgery currently sitting on endless waiting lists and hoping they make it to the top before they expire.

Remember your Hippocratic oath doctor, first do no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Hmm a lot of made up statements and medical gatekeeping going on.

Reminds me of this:

https://youtu.be/dSn8y1CGapQ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/treatments/21526-gender-affirmation-confirmation-or-sex-reassignment-surgery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happens during transgender surgery?

What happens during surgery varies depending on the procedure. You may choose facial surgery, top surgery, bottom surgery or a combination of these operations.

Facial surgery may change your:

• Cheekbones: Many transgender women have injections to enhance the cheekbones.
    • Chin: You may opt to soften or more prominently define your chin’s angles.
    • Jaw: A surgeon may shave down your jawbone or use fillers to enhance your jaw.
    • Nose: You may have a rhinoplasty, surgery to reshape the nose.

If you are a transgender woman (assigned male at birth or AMAB), other surgeries may include:

If you are a transgender man (assigned female at birth or AFAB), you may have surgeries that involve:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Castration yes. If you get a gender reassignment surgery more than likely it will involve castration. You cant really do the downstairs surgeries without removing what was there before, and sure if people are genuinely convinced they are the opposite 'gender' then they will not want to keep their own reproductive organs.

Gender reassignment surgeries are the new lobotomies - in several decades they will look back and think how did we ever allow this to happen to people. The post-op suicide and depression rates should be telling enough that this is not the best option for 99% of people.

Most of which is optional though. I know transwomen who have transitioned just using hormones.

In any case, bit of a moot point considering I misread the title anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

At least 77% of Boards users have sense. Sometimes you'd wonder due to the vocal minority.

Ah come, you post unquantifiable quasi statements about success and some nonsense about the lack of professionalism in the medical industry and then expect me to wipe yer arse and clean up for you.

I'll pass thankyouverymuch :-)

Thats social transitions .

The majority of trans people don't get or don't want full medical transition .

Some get boobs naturally with hormones to with implants and some get beards and male builds through hormones depending on personal choice

Hmm a vocal minority, hard to tell which is which if you stick to places like boards.ie :-D

Any sources for these post op claims you make, particularly in relation to them being directly attributable to the surgeries? A breakdown of what surgery would be useful too as there are many different surgeries available.

I'm also not quite sure the fixation on "castration"? What's the drama there? Especially considering hrt therapy are going to alter the function of sex organs anyway.

I think these discussions would go a lot smoother if people actually learned a little about what they are talking about tbh.

• Advertisement

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4822482/#:~:text=For%20the%20second%20study%20aim,10%20individuals%20died%20after%20SRS.

Using a sample comprised of 98% of all individuals who underwent SRS in Denmark from 1978 through 2010, this study found somatic morbidity in 19.1% of the study group before and 23.2% after SRS. Mortality rates were 9.6%, with an average age at death of 53.5 years.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21364939/

The overall mortality for sex-reassigned persons was higher during follow-up (aHR 2.8; 95% CI 1.8-4.3) than for controls of the same birth sex, particularly death from suicide (aHR 19.1; 95% CI 5.8-62.9). Sex-reassigned persons also had an increased risk for suicide attempts (aHR 4.9; 95% CI 2.9-8.5) and psychiatric inpatient care (aHR 2.8; 95% CI 2.0-3.9). 

There are several more, and the most common conclusion is that hormonal treatments alone dont seem to cause statistically significant increases in mortality, but operative (surgery) is associated with increases.

There is not fixation on castration, however it is worth pointing out as it highlights the irreversible damage such procedures cause. Even if you change your mind and "de-transition" later in life, the castration associated with SRS means you will never be able to have children. On your final point I agree, these discussions would go a lot smoother if people knew the details of what they were discussing, and both the gravity and potential risks of the procedure. This is of course directed at you.

Why is it directed at me? I'm actively seeking information and I'm well up to speed on the various procedures and at what stage people can stop having kids etc (it's got nothing to do with surgery).

But I thank you for your concern.

It's a bit difficult anyway having these discussions with ill informed cis (non trans, if you prefer) people getting all hysterical and full fearmonger-y. There is rarely any point engaging, but thank you for taking the time to post some actual studies. I of course cannot comment on them until I have read them as a study on its own isn't really enough (as I'm sure am informed person like yourself will appreciate).

Why are you calling out cis people explicity?

You do know that the majority of the medical profession who these procedures are "cis" gender? As are the majority of the people doing the studies, and the majority of the people advocating on behalf of trans people, they too are "cis". Pretty ignorant to be giving out against "cis" people specifically on this.

timmy there’s genuinely little point in posting stats about suicide rates among people who are transgender because they won’t have taken account of the numerous circumstances which can lead to a person taking their own life.

This part of your post though, just by way of example of how healthcare for people who are transgender has improved in recent decades -

Even if you change your mind and "de-transition" later in life, the castration associated with SRS means you will never be able to have children.

This is not true any more. What happens is that the person is offered the opportunity to store either sperm or eggs so that should they choose to start a family in the future, they will be able to. This is quite a change from previous decades where mandatory sterilisation was a condition of undergoing sex reassignment surgery in most European countries. The mandatory sterilisation requirement was too much for most people who wished to avail of sex reassignment surgery, because it meant giving up the opportunity if they chose to start a family in later life.

Those countries have since had to pay compensation, but it doesn’t undo the damage they did by making mandatory sterilisation a condition of availing of sex reassignment surgery -

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-netherlands-lgbt-sterilisation-idUSKBN28B5UX

https://tgeu.org/trans-people-to-receive-compensation-for-forced-sterilisation-in-sweden/

https://news.trust.org/item/20191231124846-c03ly/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/france-obligatory-sterilisation-transgender-people-paris-same-sex-marriage-a7367041.html?amp

https://outrightinternational.org/content/european-court-ends-forced-sterilizations-trans-people

Forced sterilisation wasn’t for the benefit of people who are transgender. It was completely unnecessary, if you want to talk about irreversible long term damage that could lead to an increased risk of suicide.

I'm out lol, simply can't be bothered getting into another trans thread on this site again.

Last, on topic, opinion from me: of course surgery should be covered. I'm as happy for my taxes to go towards this as I am any other surgery that our healthcare system deems necessary.

@One eyed Jack This is not true any more. What happens is that the person is offered the opportunity to store either sperm or eggs .

The essential part castration doesn't change ,the sperm or egg is then implanted in a surrogate or partner some time in the future .

The delivery system isn’t the essential part of having children @Gatling 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

If its an accepted medical condition then Yes of course.

But given the state of Irish medical system you will be waiting.

Plus no real mental health services which I would take are needed.

Personally a person who has this operation should be called a trans man or woman.

That's the real debate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A lot of transphobia comes from Cis people too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement