Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I grabbed it to try on the Mister PS core and never got beyond playing MGS VR Missions at the time!

Currently playing Super Mario Land 2. Not bad at all, weird compared to the EAD developed games, much like the first one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just bought it for €12 on Adverts, including post, no case though, ah, I've some spares here somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Trying this new thing where I have no time to play so I play about 40 different things when I do get a minute. Invariably, I slink back to Crazy Taxi and rack up the fares until the end credits again. On the arcade map, obviously — we don't talk about the awful original map they tagged onto the home ports.

I'm also looking to pick up some PS3 harder-to-find games and that's brought me to the unfortunate task of finding that (a) everything is starting to go up from Gen 7 and (b) finding an affordable copy of Folklore is going to be a pain in the hoop.

@Mr.Saturn My go-to games are usually either Super Aleste or F-Zero!

Right now I'm seriously hooked on Wipeout HD again after reading through this month's Retrogamer article on it. On event 4/8 and starting to see more Rapier races crop up including a single race on my nemesis, Sebenco Climb!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll make it easy on you. Folklore reviews at the time were spot on and maybe a bit too kind to the game because outside of the weirdness and it being set in Ireland it's the run of the mill bog standard boring action game that Game Republic kept putting out. I bought all the DLC for it, played it and got bored and played God of War instead. And I'm not even wild about God of War but at least it's fun.

• Advertisement

Maybe, but a game doesn't necessarily have to be a barn-burner to be interesting. That, and the retro-speculation is slowly casting its shadow of PS3-era gear and I'm not sitting on the fence on anything even slightly intriguing anymore — I'll be priced out of the market soon enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But that's the big problem with Folklore. It should be interesting but it just isn't. If you really must have it then go for it, especially with the price increases but its kind of a Genji/Maijn level by the numbers action slogfest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have Folklore somewhere, is it getting pricey now?

It was bargain bin fodder for a while but there's a perception now that Sony developed/published games are all high quality classics despite stuff like Genji, Folklore, Legend of Dragoon and Primal existing and stinking to various degrees.

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is like my canary in the mine for the 360 gen — as soon as its price inflates I'll know the entire scene is bollocked.

• Advertisement

I imagine it will at some stage. It's constantly in 'hidden gem' articles and videos despite being 'grand'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

It's a very appropriate description and it seems to be that often these 'grand' games end up costing a fortune. I can think of so many valuable games from the last few generations that have only a small amount of merit.

Finished Final Fantasy Legend finally. Started a few times but its take until the analogue pocket to finish it.

It's a remarkable game considering it was the Gameboys first RPG and in the launch window of release. Squaresoft not only released a fully fledged RPG on the system but instead of copying the dragon quest formula they put out something really interesting and like no other JRPG at the time. The weird levelling up of the characters and random elements might annoy people but I really enjoyed how they upset by comfort zone and made me adapt constantly. And the setting is pretty cool with a giant tower that has to be climbed and side worlds that have really varied settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I didn't realise that game was such a big deal, will check it out. I see it's not absolute insane money on ebay for a cart only.

Any idea if it uses a save battery? Must have been one of the first handheld games to do so actually?

Speaking of turn based RPGs, have you played Shin Megami Tensei V yet? I've had it there fore a couple of months but got really stuck in over the weekend and played through the first ten hours or so. It's absolutely brilliant, if you haven't played it yet I can see it really being your thing. Battle System is a lot of fun.

It's surprisingly great especially considering it's a 1989 game. It's really made to take advantage and fit around its handheld nature and yes it has save battery. It's not quite perfect, localisation is a little weak due to memory limitations and you will need a faq for some early puzzles but it's a nice neat little 12 hour RPG. Check out jeremy parish's gameboy works video on it.

I've not played or bought SMTV yet. I'm a massive megaten fan and absolutely adored SMT 3 and 4 and heard SMTV is very much a SMT3 follow up. I'm holding out for a PC version as it was one of the games in the Nvidia leak that has so far been 100% on the money. I imagine there's going to be a SMTV release with added content for all consoles and PC. It's been very hard not taking the plunge but I'm thinking I'm probably holding the universe back and the day I buy it is the day they announce the PC port.

My latest Gameboy game is For the Frog the Bell Tolls.

It's an unlocalised Nintendo game and it's a travesty it went unlocalised because so far it's brilliant. The game is more well know for links awakening being built on it's engine but it's a fantastic game in its own right.

It's a little bit Zelda like but also very different. Combat is initiated by touching an enemy and takes place automatically. Whether you win or lose is determined automatically. It sounds weird and crpa but it's not. There's no luck involved and your characters strength is determined by the items you find. So basically you are exploring an area finding items to make you strong enough to get past a road block. It works really well and it's quite amusing as well

Master of the Universe

There's a Japanese only GB game that Link's Awakening used the engine from?

Do you ever sometimes feel like the Mandela Effect is in fact real, as there's no way you could go your whole life without knowing a particular piece of information? :D

I'll have to check that out! Has it been fan translated yeah?

I only found out about it from a hg101 article.

Its fully fan translated and it's a really high quality translation. Having loads of fun with it. Couldn't put it down last night.

I'm now imagining how much more fun any game in the Xenoblade Chronicles series would have been if the fights were just... decided, instead of the insane stats fest I find them to be!

They actually kind of are :D You can't do significant damage to any enemy until you are about 5 levels from their level. So go level up more and come back :P

Anyway it's a very complicated battle system and if you walk away from the game and come back to it like the way you play games you'll have forgotten it all and be lost. You kind of need to dedicate time to it. They're amazing games but unfortunately require serious time investment and dedication to beat.

• Advertisement

My first time playing SOTN. Thanks Mister!

Finished up For the Frog the Bell Tolls. Definitely don't pass it over. It's a great little hybrid action adventure game that is totally unique. Only issue is the checkpointing can be a bit harsh.

Next game is Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade on GBA. The West got its first Fire Emblem game on GBA but it was actually a later release and a prequel to this game. This one has been fan translated.

I forgot how stressful the old FE can be. Perma death requiring a restart of an entire chapter, weapon degradation and no grinding to level up characters meaning you have to manage them knowing there's always a disgustingly tough final battle.

I'm on Chapter 5 of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade and being reminded how much of a ball buster the series can be. Chapter 4 was the first difficulty spike. At a certain turn an enemy comes in as a reinforcement and inevitably makes a beeline for your weakest character and takes them of. The only way out of it is to stay out of range of them when they appear. At least you can recruit them and turn the tables but I think I had to try this mission about 10 times before figuring it out.

I'm also playing some british games. Lemmings I never fully beat and have been playing a few missions a night.

Also played Cannon Fodder which I was enjoying until Stage 8. I got through it but it broke me and was about to pack the game in because I couldn't go through another 20+ stages with that difficulty. Thankfully I read that it's an infamous difficulty spike and the rest of the game is (mostly) not as bad.

Finished Silent Bomber. Just a fantastic action game. It's a little short but it does so much with it's gimmick and fully explores it that it's really not an issue. Some really great boss battles as well although the final boss is an absolute ball buster.

I bought but have yet to try it out, I must find said time!

Done something I've not done in a long while. I'm dropping a game. Cannon Fodder is just way too reliant on RNGesus and it's just not fun past level 8.

Master of the Universe

I worked my way through a load of old PS1 memory cards last night to see if I could find my old saves from back in the day among hoards of other people's saves on cards I'd picked up over the years.

My main memory card is still MIA (I think it's in a PS2 game box stored in the attic) but I did find another that had my original Gran Turismo save on it, with a few of my old FF VII and Syndicate Wars saves.

Dug out Gran Turismo and fired up the save, absolutely mad seeing all the cars there still in my garage! Don't think I've looked through them since the late 90s. Could remember them all though as I went through one by one. Selected an upgraded GTO Twin Turbo that I used to love and tried to beat some of my old lap times.

Something I didn't realise with PS1 memory cards though, they seem as susceptible to dust as game cartridges. When I put them into the PS2 at first, most of them didn't register at all until after a good cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just finished Soul Reaver on the DreamCast. Man, I loved this game and it’s still aged pretty well, even if it’s a bit obtuse with no map system to speak of, or any type of decent guidance. The story makes up for a lot of the games weak areas, such as boss fights.

I think I’m going to have to replay the whole series now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got stuck into Kurushi last night for about an hour and a half. Got to the 5th stage so far.

• Advertisement

There's an awful lot of block pushing in that game which I felt aged it quite a bit.

Advertisement