Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Esb smart meter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

IIRC the live bit wont go live till all 2m are installed

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

FYI, for others who get into similar issues as I had (comms level), ring or email ESBN. (1800 928 123).

They checked, all my neighbours had Comms level 4, and are looking to see if they can fix remotely, failing that an on site repair/replacement of the meter.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connections/meters-and-readings/smart-meter-upgrade

I spoke too soon.. ESBN have had my case since September.

A meter replace was ruled out, instead a technical fix off-site was suggested.

However, 6 weeks later, no change to the Comms Level...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 causewayer

Hi Roarlad,

Got smart meter sorted after much persistance! I finally got to the right people in the ESB and explained that when I switched my phone to 2G at the meter I had a full signal. It turned out that there was a database error at ESB's comms provider 'Three'. My smartmeter's IP was not linked to the correct account, which meant that it appeared that 'Three' were passing on to the ESB that I had no connection, who in turn had nothing to give my provider. An ESB engineer told me that because of my case they realised that there were others with the same issue.

Good to hear that you got sorted causewayer.

Seems like my issue is completely different.. they promised me a fix before the end of the month, though logging in now it has only stepped up to Level 2 on the Comms reading.

And then speaking to my electricity provider, they said that Level 2 isn't sufficient enough to enable all smart meter features (i.e. it isn't getting enough active readings from the day to allow me to use it as a smart meter)...

Back to square one of chasing ESB-N, 9 weeks later..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Minifox

Pulling my hair out trying to get this sorted. A dozen emails, half a dozen phone calls, and I’m still nowhere.

My supplier says ESB Networks need to confirm my Smart Meter’s connectivity and that takes 30 days. Seems excessive to me, but what do I know?

30 days have passed but still nothing. When I call ESB Networks and enter my MPRN, I’m automatically redirected to the company that installed the meter; and they say I need to contact ESB Networks. A closed loop!

I’ve made an official complaint with my utility company who still haven’t opened my online account, claiming that only their IT Dept can fix that. It may or may not be related to the smart metre. Only IT can say but the IT Crowd can only be contacted internally and aren’t answering their emails, in spite of ‘escalation of issue’.

I really wish I had gone with a day/night meter. The rates are cheaper and the non-smart meter are much less problematic.

Just letting off steam here…

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Anyone know how to read these meters ? Looks like they are reading in KWh but both readings below are only 1 day apart. 48KWh for one day in a standard 3 bed dormer seems wild. Just had a Heat Pump installed last week then the smart meter installed a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Have a look at the following on how to read the smart meter:

https://youtu.be/v24enoPl-qE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,170 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Maybe not: how many hours exactly?

Say the HP is 10 kW output and is working on a COP of 4, that means it is drawing 2.5 kW per hour when it is on.

You really should get a submeter on the HP and keep track of it that way.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CantCatchCovid

Don't forget that your not burning any other fuel,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Thanks folks, made a few edits with the timings and am going to keep an eye over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Well should we get them installed or not?

I was told the smart meter can't be hooked up to night saver rate yet. But will be in the future. Not that we use night saver. But I could do without the hassle of a iffy meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Split47

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Been reading this thread since the start, surprised it's only 3 pages.

So, yay or nay for them?

The OP and some others mentioned their usage increased * - anyone else seen this (in Kw/h or units, not cost)?

As I understand it, the smart meter has the same day and night rates as before, plus the 17:00 to 19:00 peak rate.

So, apart from the convenience of not having to submit your readings (5 min every 2 months) what's in it for the consumer (from a financial POV)? Is there a reduction in the day or night rate, or the standing charges?

* I saw a technical video about the UK meters, and it discussed the subject of power factor correction, and how it's able to register more kw/h s for certain load types that may have gone under the radar in older meters, or at least registered less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

So, yay or nay for them?

Nay

As I understand it, the smart meter has the same day and night rates as before, plus the 17:00 to 19:00 peak rate.

Correct

So, apart from the convenience of not having to submit your readings (5 min every 2 months) what's in it for the consumer (from a financial POV)? Is there a reduction in the day or night rate, or the standing charges?

Very little positive for customers right now. In fact its generally more expensive to have a smart meter if you are already on a day/night tariff. If you are currently on a 24hr tariff then its much the same cost.

If you are currently on a d/n tariff the cost is likely to go up if you switch to smart tariff as the night rates are currently more expensive on smart tariffs for some strange reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Cheers. This seems like a repeat of the water charges. In principal a good thing that I support, but what a great idea to introduce it in the middle of a huge recession, just after the property tax.

I didn't know the night rate increased, so Ill be refusing it. Also, to incentivise people, there should be a reduction in the daily rate outside the peak to balance things out both for the consumer and grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I was talking to someone who mentioned the rollout is stopped now, they have none left and can’t get anymore with chip shortage…now it could be pub talk but seemed reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Seeing you have had recent experience i will ask you for advise.

We are in the process of getting electricity re-connected to a house that has been vacant for a few years. What are the options, currently there is the old black meter inside the door. Is it an option to retain this meter if we want as i am aware the equipment belong to ESB networks. It just seems from reading this thread these new meters different.

any advise appreciared.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Morning 😉

I don't believe a reconnection would require a meter change, But ESB networks may decide to change the meter depending on its age.

I'm assuming only EI can actually do a reconnection, so you may have few options.

As a new Customer, Technically you'll likely be only offered smart tariff so you'll need to check these very carefully.

My situation was different, a very old meter and existing customer so I did not have to change to a smart tariff. I'm an extremely low user so smart tariffs were of no benefit to me, had I changed back then, my bills would have Trippled with the recent price increases.

This is not to say smart tariffs are not suitable for everyone, I've stubbornly stuck to a tariff I'm on 21 years.

The smart meters smaller and ignore the conspiracy theory nonsense.

So you need to assertain have you options re a new supplier, can EI reconnect on the basis of a short, month to month contract, allowing you to compare suppliers etc, but my sense would be, ESB Networks will want to upgrade your meter, your not obligated to do so in normal circumstances but as yours is a new connection they may insist, safety etc. You'll also have to be assigned an account number and meter number.

Others may have different advice but mine is a best guess 😉

Get reconnected on a short term contract if possible, I'd personally take a new meter as they are free, if no issue re having to get new meter, once reconnected start looking at supplier options etc but keep in mind most suppliers offering smart tariffs now so you'll likely need a smart meter, sooner than later.

Good luck 😉

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Not sure about that - this Tue received letter(dated 16th Jul) from ESB : "Dear Custommer, As part of our commitment.... Over next few months...." and all that noncense.

I wasn't looking deep, but could not see swift comparison about prices, or even if they are different

Not sure if change is mandatory or costomer has option to refuse - non info on leaflet or letter - only BS how great it is / will be.

So far cant see were that greatness will be if any - need to get more info, if anyone have - please share

Security also of some concern i guess - if provider have connection, hackers potentialy might gain as well

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Thanks for lots of info, i think i need to have an electrician sign-off as i am not the current name listed with ESB networks.

I just noticed the thread about the smart meter and thought i would ask as i got impression they were iffy.

Will see how it pans out.

regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭donalh087

Am I missing something?

I have a smart meter and yesterday registered with their website to see my details. Their site promises interesting areas like 'Personalised Electricity Usage Charts' and 'Appliance Itemisation' which should allow you to see power usage of different appliances. However the only chart I see is a flat line. Am I looking in the wrong place?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I thought the analytics you get from the smart meter is not yet enabled. Could be wrong on that but it would explain why you have a flat line! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Minifox

Analytics not working yet for me either. I get a message telling me that they will be available after 4 months of analysis. 6 months later, I'm still waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Have a smart meter 4 months now, still getting estimated bills.

Comms level 1..does that imply best or worst?

Do you submit readings yourself when you receive estimated bills? With Electric Ireland readings submitted within a few days of the bill issuing will result in a corrected bill being issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Nope, only discovered that you could submit readings with EI there earlier when I saw this thread and checked.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a smart meter in the first place though. I guess I am just in a crap reception area so, or the installer never checked, or maybe it's not part of the install process. It's not fit for purpose in my case I would imagine.

Cheers for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

Still 2G signal for smart meter reading? Might awol so estimates arriving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 darthwilson

I thought I would have a little chip in with this discussion. About 6 or 7 years ago a friend of mine bought a new build in England and it had a smart meter and he could monitor his energy usage in real-time so he could figure out what was using lots of electric, etc to help bring down his bills. So I was delighted when we were told we would be getting a smart meter several months ago.

Only after it was installed did I realise that you can't monitor your electric usage in real-time. The only way you can get any monitoring is by signing up to a smart meter plan/tariff which gives you an update every 30 minutes which isn't very real-time or smart. Plus if you sign up to a smart tariff you will ultimately pay more as the rates are higher unless you just decide to live at night. I also learned that once you sign up to a smart meter tariff you cannot move back to a standard tariff (according to bord Gais). It's just madness.

I got stung with a super high bill for the last two months so I've been doing some research and switching providers but I really wished that the real-time monitoring was a thing. Really it's not smart at all!!

I did see this device on Amazon which can read the blinking green light on the smart meter and convert that into real-time monitoring on your phone, so I might give that a go! I also saw that you can get a wifi module for the Kamstrup smart meter to allow real-time monitoring.

Is anybody else sharing the same frustrations as me right now?

Advertisement