Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Esb smart meter

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52

IIRC the live bit wont go live till all 2m are installed

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ roarlad

FYI, for others who get into similar issues as I had (comms level), ring or email ESBN. (1800 928 123).

They checked, all my neighbours had Comms level 4, and are looking to see if they can fix remotely, failing that an on site repair/replacement of the meter.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connections/meters-and-readings/smart-meter-upgrade

I spoke too soon.. ESBN have had my case since September.

A meter replace was ruled out, instead a technical fix off-site was suggested.

However, 6 weeks later, no change to the Comms Level...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 causewayer

Hi Roarlad,

Got smart meter sorted after much persistance! I finally got to the right people in the ESB and explained that when I switched my phone to 2G at the meter I had a full signal. It turned out that there was a database error at ESB's comms provider 'Three'. My smartmeter's IP was not linked to the correct account, which meant that it appeared that 'Three' were passing on to the ESB that I had no connection, who in turn had nothing to give my provider. An ESB engineer told me that because of my case they realised that there were others with the same issue.

Good to hear that you got sorted causewayer.

Seems like my issue is completely different.. they promised me a fix before the end of the month, though logging in now it has only stepped up to Level 2 on the Comms reading.

And then speaking to my electricity provider, they said that Level 2 isn't sufficient enough to enable all smart meter features (i.e. it isn't getting enough active readings from the day to allow me to use it as a smart meter)...

Back to square one of chasing ESB-N, 9 weeks later..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭ Minifox

Pulling my hair out trying to get this sorted. A dozen emails, half a dozen phone calls, and I’m still nowhere.

My supplier says ESB Networks need to confirm my Smart Meter’s connectivity and that takes 30 days. Seems excessive to me, but what do I know?

30 days have passed but still nothing. When I call ESB Networks and enter my MPRN, I’m automatically redirected to the company that installed the meter; and they say I need to contact ESB Networks. A closed loop!

I’ve made an official complaint with my utility company who still haven’t opened my online account, claiming that only their IT Dept can fix that. It may or may not be related to the smart metre. Only IT can say but the IT Crowd can only be contacted internally and aren’t answering their emails, in spite of ‘escalation of issue’.

I really wish I had gone with a day/night meter. The rates are cheaper and the non-smart meter are much less problematic.

Just letting off steam here…

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭ alan kelly

Anyone know how to read these meters ? Looks like they are reading in KWh but both readings below are only 1 day apart. 48KWh for one day in a standard 3 bed dormer seems wild. Just had a Heat Pump installed last week then the smart meter installed a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭ Gooser14

Have a look at the following on how to read the smart meter:

https://youtu.be/v24enoPl-qE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭ Calahonda52

Maybe not: how many hours exactly?

Say the HP is 10 kW output and is working on a COP of 4, that means it is drawing 2.5 kW per hour when it is on.

You really should get a submeter on the HP and keep track of it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CantCatchCovid

Don't forget that your not burning any other fuel,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭ alan kelly

Thanks folks, made a few edits with the timings and am going to keep an eye over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭ Flinty997

Well should we get them installed or not?

I was told the smart meter can't be hooked up to night saver rate yet. But will be in the future. Not that we use night saver. But I could do without the hassle of a iffy meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Split47

Advertisement