Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Will happen when Generation Rent Retire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Did you open your eyes and see the amount of immigration in Dublin city. Have you been following how many refugees are coming in over the last month.

How would that not have a large impact on the demand exactly?

‘’April 2020 - April2021

More people arrived than left

A breakdown of the figures shows the number of immigrants to the State in the year to last April was estimated at 65,200, while the number of emigrants during the same period was about 54,000, showing more people arrived than left.

Irish nationals accounted for 30,200, or 46.3%, of the 65,200 immigrants to Ireland – the highest number of returning Irish nationals since 2007.‘’

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I presume they are living in flats 2 to a room, or apartments, I think the average 20 year old

can only try and save maybe 10 per cent of your income and hope to meet a partner to team up with to buy a 1bed apartment . Maybe live at home with parents and try and save for an apartment . I think the average young person should maybe give up on buying a house in a city area, unless you are on 50k plus salary

, there's simply a tiny amount of houses for sale versus the demand for a place to live . Canada has put a ban in place to stop non Canadians buying houses to maybe give ordinary Canadian workers a chance to buy a home. This is an international problem its happening in Canada, America, Australian city's

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not at all. The housing crisis is f*cked up and of course there will be huge crisis of retired homeless people in 30/40 years

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

A How are people supposed to save on the criminally high rents now

B The OP was talking about this on a largescale basis about how its clear that there will be a massive housing crisis in 30ish years amongst older retired people

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Wow just wow. Blame the people who cant afford to pay rent for low pay and high rents 🙄

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Have an up to date CV

Get better paid jobs.

Educate and upskill, add to CV.

Work harder/longer.

Seek promotion.

Create a budget and stick to it.

Reduce un-necessary outgoings.

Be really careful around family planning.

Most of that sounds like too much hard work and hassle and therefore most won't do it but will instead find excuses and blame the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Deeec

The thing is buying a house was always expensive. Ask anyone that has ever bought a house and they will tell you it wasnt easy and involved alot of saving and sacrificing. To both myself and my husband owning our own home was our most important goal. To do this we sacrificed nice clothes, holidays, nights out - all the luxury extras in life in order to have our home. This point is missed by alot of people - they still want the nice cars, designer clothes, holidays and mini breaks and then complain that they cant save and buy a home. Im in my early 40's and have several friends like this - they earn good money but waste it on stuff they dont need and then moan about how hard it is to buy a property.

If you cant afford to buy in Dublin then get out of Dublin. There is also nothing wrong with moving back in with parents to save - get over it and do it.

I do feel sorry for anyone on a low salary that is renting - anyone in this situation should avail of all the supports there is out there.

Ah ok. High rents and Low wages are not an issue 🤣

Terry Pratchet

How do you think people get to afford high rent in the first place?

Aside from having rich parents, doing crime.

What advice would you give to a person with ambitions to live in Dublin and own their own property? Say your 21 year old son or daughter asked you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've no idea why people think that pithy ageist nonsense such as the above will solve anything. Aside from satisfying some people's urge to sneer at others of course.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Follow the right career path for you, stay on that path and wages won't be the issue.

Today we've brought up a whole generation who are the most entitled in history. A lot of gig working jumping from this to the other. Years and years being spent in College. Less career stability out of choice. Too proud for some things.

Take one look at LinkedIn.

How many 'Senior' this, 'Chief' that do see on there from people in their 20's?

All bullshit for the most part.

I mean, one look at LinkedIn and you'd be forgiven for thinking that the whole lot are supremely gifted and minted leaders with big titles by their early 20's.

I mentioned trades as an example. Lots of working class trades men have always done really well for themselves in the end because there is money in a trade.

But you wouldnt know it by how the middle go about things (at least 90%) who are too good for that.

Snobbery.

Civil Service?

Solid income job fairly sharpish, pension, job security.

Don't want to do that either. Too boring.

(Harder to claim you're Chief of this that and the other too id imagine)

You could go on all day.

Lack of career stability is a serious issue, which directly effects income, driven by people themselves. They choose to stay in college too long or they are jumping in and out of whole different career spaces.

And then they find by the time they are 30 they've nothing saved and are living at home with not a good income.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

The government are a shambles, only feathering their own nest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This is just baseless nonsense based on a few cherrypicked comments online. I could just as easily dismiss anyone over 50 as a Nazi based on some of the stuff I've heard some older folk say but I don't because that would be absurd.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

That's not an adequate response to what is a structural problem because if 1 milion people decide to "Seek promotion" they won't all get it.

Not everyone can get longer hours either.

What you're talking about is a personal solution which would work for some people undoubtedly but the ratio of the average wage to average rent price won't be altered by "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Deleted

1 million people won't tho so don't sweat about it, most will continue to sit on their hole and b1tch and moan and make no change. They are not trapped, they have options and choices the same as the ones who work 2 jobs, upskill when they can, live within their means rather than the tomorrow will take care of itself (live for the moment) type brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Realistically though what do you do about high rents and low wages?

Regarding low wages, employers will always try to pay the market rate, or below it if they can. If you improve everyone's wages, this will cause inflation and push up the price of goods and services leaving even less money available to pay rents. The idea of everyone being paid a good wage is all well and good, but people aren't willing to pay the cost of these pay rises in the goods and services they are purchasing.

Regarding the rents, they are high because it's a supply and demand situation. We have a shortage of suitable rental property. We need more properties coming on stream. That's absolutely the only realistic solution to getting the price of rents down. Who will build these properties? Who will pay for them when they are built? Will the cost of them when they are built be such that a low rent will be feasible? We are in a situation where it's nearly impossible for builders to price a house before they build it because the costs of materials, energy and labour are increasing so fast.

Housebuilding is about to slow down because it's getting very costly for builders to build and there's no point in builders building expensive properties if nobody can afford them. Throw in inflation and interest rate hikes and mortgages are going to get very expensive.

Here's some mad brain fart solutions.

The Government should go back to building social houses. Each County Council should hire the necessary skilled people and get building these houses. That would stop the Councils outbidding people for houses as is currently happening.

There should be ridiculously good tax incentives for builders to build properties that will cost Joe Public between €250k and €300k. Obviously these won't be built in Aylesbury Road etc. but you get my drift.

Allow a tax incentive to small landlords (3 properties or less) who rent out a property for €1000pm or less so that they pay no tax on this income. This might encourage small landlords to stay in the market.

Anybody else got any wild suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭pgj2015

This generation are just a bunch of moaners, no get up and go about them at all. Think Dublin is the only place in the world they can live.

If you are 21 and want to live in dublin and buy property you.ll need to get a job that pays pays a high salary, and hopefully buy with someone else as a couple ,

Start a project charity self build Co op eg people work 3 days a week to build their own house for people on lower incomes under 30k on site provided by the local authority they still have a mortgage to pay but its like 150k over 30 years they do it in America plumber's and electricians have to put in wiring pipes etc and theres a few pro builders on site to help

There was an episode of grand designs about this it's on YouTube

I think the city council would always pay contractors to build houses apartments the difference now its more expensive to build anything especially in dublin where land is expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,257 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The problem is if the Council start building houses they will take labour from developers. I definitely would not have the council directly building houses as they would be totally unable to manage the projects or the labour. Productivity would drop substantially compared to private developer sites.

You are back to gettoization of part of the population as well. Even if the LA's use builders to build houses they will slow the process down by there slow decision making.

You have a good few problems with people SF building. First if all every body would need H&S as well as manual handling courses. The idea that Tony the barman or Sally the hairdresser can lay blocks or put up a roof is fairly stretching it. Even the inside all's such as internal joinery or tiling is a skilled job.

Ya you would have 1 in hundred people that might be able to do it. The problem on sites is not so much unskilled as skilled labour

Slava Ukrainii

Surely, the logical solution is apprenticeships in the construction sector if skilled labour is an issue. You'd end up with more homes and some good jobs in construction to boot.

H. H. Asquith

It is but it takes 2-3 years before an apprentice get productive. As well it's hard to get younger people I to the trades at present and harder to retain them within the industry

Ignore the discussion about lazy and you will see the issue. It's easier to spend 3-4 years in college than in an apprenticeship.

Just as an example know a lad locally that trained as a plumber and has gone nursing. Another lad a fitter and is in a factory.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

It's also more rewarding to spend 4 years at University. It's not laziness, it's cop on. I'm all for apprenticeships and on the job training but that needs to be improved. Or recruitment schemes could be used to entice construction workers from abroad but that might be politically toxic.

H. H. Asquith

There is a shortage world wide of skilled construction workers. That will not be resolved any time soon. Traditionally children mostly followed there patent career paths to an extent.

Locally there is ten to twelve skilled trades people I know off the top of my head. Of that twelve only one has gone away and done an apprenticeship. He did fitter and is not working in an MNC in that trade.

Slava Ukrainii

I'm not a building expert I built an extension with a friend 40x 12ft, it's pretty simply to build walls, mix concrete lay blocks, put in insulation, put up plasterboard, install windows pvc, its not very complex. Tiling is pretty, simple, see YouTube videos, painting is easy. The program on YouTube grand designs , shows the house design is designed to be as simple to build as possible , using basic materials, yes there would need to be experts there to do all the pipes, showers, electrical installation, building the roof, putting in front back, doors, etc

Maybe the government could increase wages or provide tax breaks if you work on houses designed for people on lower wages, or estates owned by the local council

I see articles in the newspaper it says its too easy to get planning permission for houses even if local people object to the plans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Well it might be simple in theory but I wouldn't want a handy man building my house.

Quailty would more than likely be shite. I had a lads just put in windows for me and they made a complete shite of it.

Another fitter came back from same company. Fitted everything perfect.

Said first bunch of lads were giving the boot.

And that's just windows.

I really dont know what your talking about planning permission being easy to get. Its extremely hard to get and is usually localised.

I'm not pretending that it'll be a quick fix. Doing nothing isn't really an option though.

H. H. Asquith

Its all very well saying doing nothing is not an option. However we have to be realistic. Most people want to move into finished houses. Nobody will spend virtually every day off for 2 years working on a house so as that they can reduce the cost of it.

When Tom the barman's house is finished will he continue to lay blocks on Mary the hairdresser's. Will Mary mix the mortar or hand the blocks up to Tom.

This idea that tiling or painting is easy is grand and true to an extent. Laying blocks is a different kettle of fish

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

This makes no sense. I'm talking about building more affordable housing for people. Nothing more.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement