Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Even more adverts you despise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

Those bloody Lotto ads. So someone wins a few mill on the lotto, and all they can think of is to build a great big water slide ? Really, Lotto people, is this what you’re selling us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

There's a version of the TUI ad where the - thud, thud - comes in a beat earlier, messes with my head! 🙉

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭pnott

The Tesco ad with the child who couldn't read and his mother taught him how to read using recipes is back again! Different people this time. It was on the UK version of Channel 4. I hope it doesn't pop up in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

The (Samsung?) radio ad where some pillock keeps saying “awesome” in an very extended and annoying fashion. Jesus it boils my piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Lidl just seem to be topping it for annoying ads. The one with the kid talking to the baby about the nappies is bloody awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What the hell has getting pregnant got to do with B&Q?

Fed up of these companies trying to pull on the heartstrings.

Nationwide UK with couples babbling on about something but it's really one talking over the other, the latter barely just getting a ye.. in edgeways.

It is what it's.

Everyone waits till they get pregnant to start doing their place up. Duh 😜

It is what it's.

Is that woman in the new Sky/Netflix ad the same large breasted woman from the Claire Byrne radio ad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

You can go anywhere in a Skoda but sure as f***ing hell ,you won’t be seeing shooting stars with the cloud cover in Ireland!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I have to confess to enjoying the new Three ad with the lizard. Maybe because of my soft spot for anthemic Jim Steinman songs...

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Heard this horror on the car radio, and was so annoyed by it, I dived at the radio to mute the pillock, nearly running in to the car ahead of me.😲

Only heard it once, and that was more than enough. Nauseating.

• Does anyone remember the time when there used to be a few ads on that people liked?

As if 2021/22 wasn't bad enough, practically every ad is cringe and or annoying. Surely there was lots of time for brainstorming via zoom to come up with something vaguely entertaining or enjoyable. Even the meerkat ads have gone to sh1t.

Domino-yoho! - Someone in an ad agency somewhere thought this was worthy of going on TV. Really?

Horny mam - My dad says its meant to be a parody of Edwina from Absolutely Fabulous. Either way, it gets muted any time it comes on

The Poonami ad coming on just at dinner time last night. Put me right off my steak and gravy pie.

"How are you dad", seems to be universally hated and rightly so.

Not seen it mentioned, and I do like him as an athlete but the Johnny Sexton sandwich ad irritates me.

Edit: Just saw a post which reminded me of the stupid f**king Malteasers ad. Aside from the fact the wilfull destruction of Malteasers should be an arrestable crime, it's on every single ad break. I could do a better ad for malteasers using two Lego men and some stop-motion animation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Has Michael o Muiraheartaigh's sandwich add been consigned to the archives?

I'm at a loss to know why that damn Malteasers ad is still on. The thing is they used to have some decent ones with picking up a malteaser on the pregnant womans belly with a straw or something like that. But this stupid one has been on for at least a decade. I'm pretty sure it's been on since at least London 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

I switch off to do something else during tv ads, or fast forward if replaying, but am more exposed to radio ads. The most offensive to my ears is the tuneless “singing” in the It’s a doddle radio ad. That man should be executed and she should be anaesthetised. I gather it’s deliberately irritating simply to gather attention.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Someone replied and said they think it's 10 years. lol

But apparantly it is 2016! Unbelievable.

https://adland.tv/adnews/maltesers-necklace-2016-20-uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭trashcan

I find the most annoying ads the ones with added singing, particularly the “quirky” female singing ones. The latest offender is the one singing about “ this is our year, it took a long time to come “. Couldn’t tell you what it’s advertising, which means it’s not even doing its basic job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I wonder is part of the problem that there's really not that many industries that can afford TV advertising these days. It seems to be mostly;

• Car companies
    • Mobile phone / broadband / TV companies
    • Big name food and toiletries companies

There's just not as many advertisers as there used to be, so we're getting more repetition with the remaining fews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Insurance.

Charities, can well afford them, including one particularly infamous Irish one...

Supermarket chains.

Banks.

The 'Loddo'

The GAA (their sponsors mainly)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Acosta

The Hunky Dory ad with the screaming gimp. Who the **** wants to listen to that relaxing in front of the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

That one was uploaded to YouTube in 2010, dont think thats still running though.

Yeah, I was just showing the difference in how good those characters where, the nurses came along with a few others included a 2 deaf teachers.

______

Yesterday

"Give a doubt".

Fk saaaaaake, marketing teams who come up with meaningless three-word combos need to be relieved of employment.

It is what it's.

Katy Perry's new Just-Eat ad. I generally like her bop, but 5 seconds in, this ad annoyed me. And it went on and on and on. Reckon she's wrecked her IE/UK career.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭Archeron

Just saw an all new shiny ad and I can't work out if it's advertising star wars, Volkswagen, Disney or sky.

When marketing departments collide.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The constant Lotto ads making it seem whiter than snow to play, I guess they know their time is up and all gambling ads will be banned on tv in the near future.

Darren Conway is to Dubs what Rory's Stories is to culchies.

I can't stand him. The most unfunny fcuker going. "I'm noh!" or the face he pulls at the end of the Hunky Dory ad, so cringy.

• Advertisement

______

Yesterday

Advertisement