Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo mass shooting - Great Replacement Theory & the long trail of blood

• 17-05-2022 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,119 ✭✭✭✭

You may have heard by now overseas of the Buffalo mass shooting attack at a grocery store that killed 10 people, and wounded 3 others. It's been seen as a hate crime from the outset, with 11 of the 13 victims being black. 1 of the victims was an officer moonlighting as store security, who interacted with the attacker back in March when he (Payton Gendron, 18 year old white man) was doing location scouting/a dry run. In his papers the assailant marked that grocery store and 3 other locations, with clearly written goals of whom he wanted to kill. During the attack, the attackers own body camera shows that they intentionally spared potential white victims. However this isn't simply, Black vs. White racism, nor Left vs. Right, Gun Control vs. Muh Freedom. This is about racial supremacists and about complex xenophobia.

A full breakdown of what was written on the weapon is here, it includes racial epithets, neonazi messaging as well as the names of other prolific mass shooters, incl. Dylan Roof (Charleston Church Massacre), Brenton Tarrant (NZ Christchurch Massacre) and Anders Breivik, the monster that blew up a van bomb and then slaughtered dozens of kids to protest his country's immigration policies esp. as it concerned muslims. According to his manifesto, it is a Bushmaster XM-15, a predecessor to the M-15 and AR-15 and chosen because it is an intimidating, 'military-grade' rifle, said in irony by the author.

Most talked about however is the shooter's manifesto which, like other shooters before him, cites the Great Replacement Theory as its fundamental purpose: the conspiracy theory that powerful government interests (mostly, Jews) are deliberately maneuvering to make whites a minority in their countries. This theory is hardly new, and we've even seen it come up on boards posts over the years. However, it is troubling that in spite of this, in spite of, eg. regularly showing up in these manifestos, the support for these theories is growing, not waning, and that leaves much open the possibility of future attacks (just as there have been several GR inspired shootings since even just Breivik's attack in 2011). Can't blame Trump for this, and the problem will long outlive either him or any other figurehead.

“White supremacy is a poison … and it’s been allowed to fester and grow right in front of our eyes. No more.” - Joe Biden, Buffalo NY, 5/17/22

[Press X to doubt Biden on 'no more']

The biggest lightning rod for this in the media is Tucker Carlson, a contemptible American right wing media host who didn't birth the theory either, but routinely intersperses Great Replacement theory into his broadcasts which are viewed by tens of millions every weeknight. Carlson may not be breaking any laws, but his program certainly does breed horrid contempt for minorities on his program, including black americans and immigrants (especially 'illegals') as he suggests the goal is to disenfranchise the whites.

Naturally Carlson has been the source of ire since the shooting, but in response to learning the Buffalo shooter, like the 2019 shooters, believe eg. 'the democrats were giving free healthcare to illegals to replace white voters etc' and even wrote "Here's your reparations" on the weapon ... Carlson claimed on Monday night that he doesn't comprehend how anyone can view that as 'political' (?!)

“What is hate speech? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯”

“Because a mentally ill teenager murdered strangers, you cannot be allowed to express your political views out loud” - Tucker Carlson, FNC 5/16/22

“What he wrote does not add up to a manifesto,” Carlson said, noting that what Gendron allegedly wrote was racist. “It is not a blueprint for a new extremist political movement, much less the inspiration for racist revolution. Anyone who claims that it is lying or hasn’t read it.”

Carlson did not directly mention the racist theory during the monologue at the top of his show. The host, who denounced racism and described the alleged document from Gendron, 18, as “a rambling pastiche of slogans and Internet memes, some of which flatly contradict one another,” said: “The document is not recognizably left-wing or right-wing; it’s not really political at all. The document is crazy.”

His statements are full of gaslighting: 'if you think this is political you're **** crazy' etc.; but the Times of Israel reported as well, that the 180-page document (which I haven't seen outside of screenshots of a page or two here and there) is rife with antisemitism, white nationalism, and other explicitly political rhetoric, wher. So, I guess you can choose to 'believe' Tucker Carlson on this, but he's also full of ****. But this is where the line in the sand is, between people to the left of rightwing extremists being shot, people in the middle saying 'please stop spreading great replacement theory' while the people pushing said theory are going 'what theory are you talking about even lol' but who then proceed to push the drivel.

So by all means if you believe this Great Replacement bullcrap please step up and be heard so we can hash this out before the next yahoo (and there's always a next one) steps up on their own. For everyone else I hope you will raise awareness about this insipid theory and its surrogates.

"Jews will not replace us! Jews will not replace us!" - Unite The Right rally, Charlottesville, August 2017

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,119 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Rep. Elise Stefanik, the #3 Ranking Republican in Congress has also pushed the Theory even since the shooting took place.

She also has a history of it, even putting out paid advertisements for her campaign that endorsed the theory:

“Radical Democrats are planning their most aggressive move yet: a PERMANENT ELECTION INSURRECTION,” reads one of the ads, which shows a reflection of migrants in sunglasses Biden is wearing. “Their plan to grant amnesty to 11 MILLION illegal immigrants will overthrow our current electorate and create a permanent liberal majority in Washington.”

And as OP footnote, the ADL has been calling for Carlson to be fired for pushing this theory since at least 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anndd we're done

• Nowhere in the OP did I reference the January 6 insurrection.
    • Not sure which shooting you're referring to, but neither did I mention the hate crime shooting of an Chinese immigrant man at a Laguna Woods church in California on Sunday, as it had nothing to do with GRT, and the shooter was motivated by Taiwanese international politics. The parishioners were Taiwanese Presbyterians. "Don Barnes, the Orange county sheriff, said the motive of the shooting was a grievance between Chou, identified as a Chinese immigrant, and the Taiwanese community. China claims Taiwan is a part of its national territory and has not ruled out force to bring the island under its rule."
    • The Waukesha Massacre was not, and never has been investigated as terrorism. The driver was fleeing from police pursuit of a crime in progress. Unless I missed him shouting "whites will not replace us" etc. - there's a thread for this already which admins already closed, saying categorically this when they did:

In full it seems like your meme is out of line; maybe you found it on a social media thread somewhere where it made more sense in context, but it is ineffective here.

--

A poll concluded right before the attack took place by AP/NORC showed that 1 in 3 Americans believe GRT is happening.

Carlson tried to book Senate Majority Leader Schumer to a Talking Heads debate on his program, in response to a letter Schumer sent earlier today urging that the network address its own propagandizing of GRT

[...] “I implore you to immediately cease all dissemination of false white nationalist, far-right conspiracy theories on your network.”

In his remarks, Schumer cited the 2018 PA Synagogue shooting, 2019 El Paso Walmart shooting, and the 2022 Buffalo shooting where the killers all expressed GRT ideology.

So just to be clear, if some nutter goes off on a killing spree due to his views on a topic, that mean that the view itself is dangerous and bad and should be banned?

I dunno, a lot of people died in those BLM protests...

• Advertisement

I don't believe I discussed banning the topic of GRT (if anything, I started a thread about GRT). There's a thread about BLM for BLM. And Schumer too, specifically never called for a ban on GRT but rather the "reckless amplification" of GRT.

As for the banning of topics, because of nutters that go off on killing sprees due to their view on the topic, it's worth noting that some of the same conservatives who believe all or part of GRT are happening, equally support a ban on the BDS Movement, ie. the movement to Boycott, Divest from, or Sanction Israel. They view the BDS movement as antisemitic and have even introduced bills to have it outlawed. Rep Stefanik both sponsored that bill and a slew of pro-GRT rhetoric. Considering that most of the GRT killers are avowed antisemites as well, it would stand to reason the same conservatives who see a logical compunction to ban BDS may also see a logical compunction to ban GRT. But to be clear, they won't ever suggest such a thing, because that would piss off their base, and they themselves believe at least half of it, esp. the part about Democrats allegedly bringing in millions of illegals to vote in elections by way of an amnesty bill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 21,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Thread title updated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭mikethecop

looks like the op is on another hate binge .

some lads just cant wait for another shooting to get their rocks off on

is there no American boards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

How many people died in BLM protests? do you actually have statistics to back your claim up please do share..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The OP is a bit of a rambling manifesto. Should someone contact the Gardai to put them on alert?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,680 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Somewhat agreed.

I am not sure what the exact point the OP is trying to make here. But if he is making it, why is he doing in on a predominately Irish Internet board, when perhaps if he wants to convince people, perhaps best stay closer to home? It would be like some Irish guy posting on an American board about the wrongs and ills of Nationalists in the bogside.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭chuchuchu

Just a deranged nut job

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

Gonna be another sperg festival of a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

One nutter goes shooting, 10 families are destroyed. Makes international news.

Thing is, one weekend in Chicago alone, 75 people can be shot and nothing is said and it’s barely local news.

i’m not condoning anything, totally anti-gun myself.

You don't see the difference between a mass murder and a mass of murders? "Yeah Anders Breivik is bad for bombing those people and slaughtering all those kids in the name of a popular right wing conspiracy theory about immigrants, but 75 people died in Chicago this weekend" what is the point that is making.

Chicago is a popular red herring, a whataboutism to deflect from discussing everything from gun control as you mentioned, to police reforms, to now, even addressing GRT.

Just a deranged nut job

Or several, all whom have the same, parallel derangement. Worth looking into I would presume.

Hate of what? White Supremacy? Antisemitism? Xenophobia? Folks who argue in bad faith?

Given the facts I don't see how GRT is an exclusively American problem. GRT has been referenced in mass shooting manifestos from the US, to New Zealand, to Norway, etc. it is a topic of global concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

People prone to such behaviour seek affirmation. They'll use religion, politics, race, sex to justify it to themselves.

'Journalists' and politicians using these topics to try scaremongering support should be proud of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭eggy81

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭foxsake

the great replacement is pretty obvious . Its a drive to eliminate bonds between the people by dilution of different cultures so nationalism is weakened and the people are easier to control. I have a feeling the OP @Overheal denies the theory not because it's false but because @Overhealhe supports it. But just cos he claims its a racist theory it doesn't mean its not true. Allegations of racism are irrelevant , true or false is the only measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Yeah. The left think that their moral views of others destroys the arguments of others just because they've made a "bad person" judgment. Even if you think that "racists" are evil, it doesn't mean that they are wrong, as morals have little to do with how logically sound a persons argument is.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

@foxsake What part of the great replacement theory is true so?

The left. 🤣🤣

The USA has never had a leftwing government but its all the lefts fault.

What a hot take Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

I think it's just a complete hate job of Tucker Carlson by the OP.

Until the US changes the gun laws then news of these mass shootings will keep appearing on our screens as often as the soaps schedules.

Crazy world, with plenty of deranged people out there.

Not once did I mention governments or anything to do with the state. You're hallucinating again, Robbie.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Please explain so Tom how the great replacement theory is the fault of left wing politics despite it never holding the reins of power in the USA.

This should be good so I'll just grab the popcorn and await the explanation of your conspiracy.

I expect it will have lots of blame for "they" without ever explaining who "they" are!

I made no judgment on the theory, I made a judgment on how the left uses morality to ignore peoples views/reason. As is always the case, you're trying to make me argue against a view that I've never taken. Surely you should be questioning the person who made the statement and not the person who replied to it? If you were a friend of mine, I'd advise a visit to a neurologist or something, as you seem to regular see thing that aren't there, and that's not normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭foxsake

Not sure what you mean - as I said its multi faceted so I'd be here all day - it's not a single line .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Advertisement

I thought this replacement theory was that Europeans were being replaced in their own countries by non Europeans, which is more a fact than a theory.

Does it become a theory when someone decides that its part of a conspiracy involving politicians/Jews/lizard people? What if you don't believe this replacement is caused by a conspiracy? Is it still a theory then?

Advertisement