Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Will happen when Generation Rent Retire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...oh dont get me started, and avocados and toast, ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

If I could go back to my youth I'd just be banging my name on the housing list at 18.

Taking a nice handy job that keeps me under the threshold for social housing. No stress and enjoy my youth.

Maybe take advantage of their free college places and courses to upskill in the meantime.

Hopefully by mid to late 20's you get your house and then start working on your career. Once you're in sure there's only a maximum rent you pay no matter what you earn.

Work your way up to a Higher salary, No mortgage over my head for the rest of my life, will also be housed in the area I choose, thousands more in disposable income than the average working taxpayer with a giant mortgage.

That's where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

If you haven't got your sh1t together (home ownership or adequate pension) after a 50 year working life, you're not going to be getting much sympathy from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Government looking for a reason to raise the retirement age to 100.

You work til you die.

If you dont have the money you go on the list for one of those €500k swish pads that they are giving away for free in Malahide.

• Advertisement

My ex-wife is from Turin. Two of her siblings still live with her elderly father in a little apartment in the center of the town.

I wouldnt hold that apartment up as a blissful life renting on the continent. Its a hole. And they all have good jobs too, but cant afford the rent for a decent place themselves. One is an engineer and one is an optometrist. The father is a retired watch maker. She has another brother who got married and left the apartment to rent an equally dingy hole with a wife and 3 kids.

Sorry for rambling. In answer to the point, people sure to rent in other countries, but its not as rosy as people imagine. Its also considered an success in other countries to get out of renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

at least in Ireland the poor/rich gap isn’t as crazy as in China, India, USA.

go to those countries and you will find so many homeless people

in China it takes 3 generations savings to buy a house

...and in japan, it takes many generations to service their debts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Most poor people believe it or not don't care what the rich do once they are looked after, so it's inconsequential. America is an odd comparison too, as areas with high homeless rates are areas with high demand. You can find cheaper more affordable housing in many places in America, which can't be said about Ireland at the minute.

States with most homelessness :

• California (151,278)
    • New York (92,091)
    • Florida (28,328)
    • Texas (25,848)
    • Washington (21,577)
    • Massachusetts (18,471)
    • Oregon (15,876)
    • Pennsylvania (13,199)

Nearly everyone of those states are states that deal with large influxes of immigration too, which at least partly leads to the problem that you speak of.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

rapidly rising inequality is ultimately the cause of these issues, immigration is commonly used to blame for this, but generally little or nothing to do with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Sinn Fein will tax the bankers and use the money to provide housing, healthcare, education, bins we'll all be looked after if we vote them in.

hahaha no they wont, they ll try, but they ll more than likely fail, taxation is only one part of the solution of this problem, and you ll find, wealth is a very slimy beast that has a tendency of slipping out of paying it, so.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Nonsense. It's at very least partly the reason. It's simply a numbers game; more people, more need for homes, which results in a rise in cost of living, and all that leads to inequality. It's like adding 2+2 and getting 0. It's not an opinion, it's factual true, no matter how much the deniers will deny it. You haven't even made a point either, you've simply said it's "inequality", which means little when you haven't explain how said inequality has came about. It's like blaming "the system" without ever understanding how the system works.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Their co living housemates will throw them a retirement party, after that they will return to their accommodation pod, which will be filled with night night don't wake up gas. It will then be re-rented at +50% and whoever gets it will be happy or else.

ah yea, usual bullsh1t, once again, we largely store wealth in the value of assets such as property, and public policies for decades has been to protect asset ownership at the behest of non asset owners, noting asset ownership such as property is heavily skewed in society, more so towards older wealthier generations, i.e. shafting younger generations. to add insult, during this period, public policies have also been geared towards undermining labour markets, which has lead to low wage inflation, stagnant in many cases, particularly in many regions in the us, rising precariousness of employment, zeros hours etc etc, so nicely fcuking over non asset owners, primarily younger generations, and blah blah blah. we d call these the actual facts, as oppose to 'alternative facts'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Unfortunately the educational system does not equip people to think ahead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I hate the Netflix generalisation, it's so feckin lazy. Do you know why most people have it? Because it's actually easily affordable (at maybe 10 euros a month) compared to the rent people are paying (~1000)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Rent is high because of low supply and high demand. The supply issue should start to change over the next few years as well.

Is this an entry for a Bloomsday Joyce writing style competition. When were paragraphs "cancelled"!?

Do you actually have any useful solutions or proposals? All you seem to do is rant on and on about the problems. I have no idea who will buy them, that's the projected levels of builds out to 2025 or so, a point at which supply will be adequate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭amacca

It wouldn't matter if it did...the vast majority of the students wouldn't bother to do so.

And that's a good thing for the small minority that do think ahead.....imagine the competition if everyone was a rational actor and not an infantilised man/woman child well into their 30s (sometimes 40s)

I always liked morons growing up, made the game easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I bought my apartment ten years ago. I stayed out during the boom and bought during the crash. Ten years renting was a waste of money and a hassle, I moved six times. I should have bought a place as soon on as possible as the limits changed during the crash. Even being in negative equity isn’t that bad if your going to live there forever. That said I have five years left on my apartment mortgage and I’m 40. Others got a raw deal that bought at the top too, into places they didn’t intend the stay in.

Rents are crazy, my mortgage is 800 and to rent would be 1500. Ten years ago I was renting a house in Drumcondra for 900 euro today it would be 2-3 Times that, it’s not sustainable. Crazy increase for ten years. Young people renting and not living with parents have no chance. They can’t save and it’s spitting in their face telling them they are not being fleeced. Those living with their parents should be grateful they can and save as much as possible to pickup something in the next crash which is not far away.

• My late mother, born 1920, used to tell me about how she and my Dad afforded to buy their semi-d. She had a job with British Rail/Sealink (or it’s past equivalent) which paid relatively well, virtually all her money was saved, except she attended School of Art part-time. Everything she had was hand-made. When she got married she had a substantial deposit saved, more than my Dad did, and in their early married years all furniture was initially pallets, boxes, then hand-me-downs, they virtually starved themselves and never ever went out. She never attended hairdressers and cut her own & my Dad’s hair. As for holidays, her sister’s house in Bray hosted those.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That’s my plan , sadly after 60 we won’t fit the company culture and will be forced to retire/die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The guys doing the food delivery on bikes, mopeds. Where do you think they are living.. no way they are shelling out e900 per month.

My point is, if you want to get a bunch of money for a deposit, you need to go extreme. I don't buy these excuses about renters not being able to save.

It's possible, and I've done similar, was putting away 4k per month over last few years. I had a unique living arrangement, and was not living at home. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

great idea, youd be waiting till you died to get off the housing list, its not fixed, you mad yoke

theres nowhere to live outside dublin either, its almost worse there

i think you are spoofing of course, but what did you spend 10 years wages on?

prostitution?

those lads aren't living really, they are just here to send money home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Yeah, it's a pain in the Swiss.

Advertisement