Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Will happen when Generation Rent Retire?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭GSBellew

No culture?

Please explain this, because I am bemused as to how you have reached this conclusion.

There is more culture in the dry stone walls of my field in the outskirts of a commuter town than there is in any housing estate in Dublin, this is without mentioning the oldest known inscribed stone in Ireland a few minutes walk away, over my back wall we have 17th century ruins, just beyond that is a standing castle / watch tower, an hour via the M1 has you are at the IFSC in Dublin easily, I've done that many times myself.

You lived in London for 8 or more years, paying into the UK economy, now you feel entitled to tell the rest of us that we owe you a subsidised house in the most expensive area in the country to live, simply because you come from or work there?

Wake up, you get to live where you can afford to live, not where you want to live, there is no entitlement to live in the area you work or come from.

There are areas here that would cost maybe 100k to buy a house, there are others that are 1,000,000 plus, I don't get to live in the more expensive area unless I pay the higher price.

If I want to live in a more expensive area I pay more, if I don't want to pay more I get to live in a less expensive area.

My mother in law has a sensible term for this, "you cut your cloth to suit your means"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...oh i expect a major social upheaval long before that happens, and it may not be far off, at this rate!

Post edited by Wanderer78 on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,745 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Won't happen. Sure they can't even agree to cooperate enough to form a government up there which is in their own interests to do so, let alone this fantasy rose tinted idea of supporting a united Ireland.

But leaving that aside, and the fact that people down here don't want to pay for the idea, and don't want to accept the idea that we too would have to make some compromises rather than a petty "we won" attitude, the reality is that taking on NI would stretch our already limited resources still further - to say nothing of the impact the government's stance on immigration and refugees will and is having on those resources, particularly in the area of housing.

Anyway... I do (sorta) see where the OP is coming from. We have built our entire idea of success on the notion of being massively in debt to buy and sell overpriced property to each other, hence why the rental sector is considered an afterthought and for those who have no better options, and it's run as such with completely inadequate kneejerk legislation being imposed when the "noise" gets too much that only makes the situation worse for both tenants and landlords (unless of course said landlords are massive investment funds so beloved of particularly FG who would privatise and sell off everything if they could).

Unfortunately though not everyone is in a position to buy, can live at home to save a deposit, or borrow/be gifted from the bank of mammy and daddy, or will have a house waiting for them to live in/sell and divide the profits when said parents die. The smug condescending attitude of some here who have "made it" towards those other groups ("if I did it, everyone should be able to") is again another symptom of the society we've built, and completely at odds with the housing situation we now find ourselves in - it's the same sort of people who complain about negative equity and demand exceptions or intervention while renters have to pay whatever their landlord demands regardless of their personal circumstances. It's also bemusing to read some defending bank policies given the events of 10-15 years ago and how they likely benefitted from it or know those who did, with their 100%+ mortgages, cheap credit and limited checks etc.

The truth is that not everyone can/is able to, should, or wants to buy property for a variety of reasons, and they shouldn't be "forced" to in order to ensure security of tenure or certainty in retirement - let's not forget that house ownership isn't cheap, even after the mortgage is paid. You have property tax, maybe management fees if an apartment, significant maintenance costs when something goes wrong and all the other expenses that will still need to be paid, retirement or not. Property ownership is far from the road to easy street in later years. But all that said, it should still be an option that is open to people too.

What we need is not a groundbreaking idea and that is a mixed market of ownership, long and short term rental (and long term being a lot longer than the Irish notion of 1-2 years in the private sector), social housing and buy to rent options in sufficient quantities and geographical spread that everyone's needs and longer term goals can be met.

But that's not going to happen in this country. Not so long as we continue to view property ownership and the ever increasing value of it as the be all and end all and look down at those who can't/don't "get on the ladder". It really is like 2006 all over again but without the "free money" and SSIA scheme to allow people to buy into it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Why should workers not feel entitled to live in a specific location? They are paying for others to live in fantastic locations, rent free, in luxury accommodation. Yet they should live in some kip, three hours round trip from Dublin. Spending god knows what on transport etc? Lol!

There are nice places outside of Dublin... There are equally jobs outside of Dublin and even remote working. Not sure who you're referring to in relation to luxury homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Well not trying to be rude. Considering my home town is in one of these commuter belts. Its already saturated with people and housing.

A bit ridiculous to just keep building houses in commuter towns expecting them to support massive population influx. Especially when infrastructure is not there.

Dont think that's a solution either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

I want a penthouse in Manhattan, but can’t afford it too.

it’s called “cut your cloth to suit your measure”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,173 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

We constantly hear that the majority of people rent on the continent, so what do they do there?

What happens in Asia where there is low home ownership?

This is not the only country where this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Its amazing that we have the one of the richest countries in the world being compared to Asia...

I was talking to a guy recently who's daughter is teaching in Dublin... he said his daughter is no better off now than when he was working in Dublin 40 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

Don’t why people believe they are entitled to own a big house in city center.

it’s not for everyone just like clothes handbags shoes restaurants

you have money you buy the most expensive one.

you don’t have money then you buy a cheap one. Same function. Just the feelings is different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

And if you really want that big house, you work your hole off, you make plans and goals and work on them every day to make progress towards that big house.

Too many people want what they can't afford, blame the state and everyone but themselves for where they are at in life. It's easier blame the government rather than shine the spotlight on yourself and look in the mirror.

Same people rather watch Netflix in the evening, post on boards all week, get drunk on weekends than invest in themselves and their future.

I was chatting to a lady from Belfast a couple of weeks ago... she lived around Carrickfergus and was looking for a house to buy as was downsizing... expected to pay around £300k...

We were comparing notes and i asked her how much a 2up 2 down starter be in a reasonable area in Belfast... she said about £160k...

What’s your point?

I asked what do other countries do in this situation.

I included Asia along with the continent of Europe.

Why can’t we do what those other countries do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭oceanman

sounds great...thats if you dont mind being on a waiting list for the next 12 or 15 years!

Your the one who made the comparasion so its you who is making the point...

Ok.

I really don’t know what the hell your on about and I’m not gonna spend the whole day trying to explain that question to you.

So best of luck enjoy your Sunday.

You don't know what your talking about yourself.. you make a point abojut Asia and try to give dsomebody else ownership of it...

Explain what...

Sigh.

My point about Europe doesn’t come into it no?

I’ll try again.

What do other countries do with people who don’t own houses and then retire?

Do those people just not retire?

Do they live with other family members who do own houses?

I understand what you mean that each single family member have a house of their own... its a very good point as single professionals now expect to have a home of their own wheras in the past it was always the norm to be in a long term relationship before consider buying houses...

Its an interesting way to look at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭elperello

With respect you are asking questions that require very detailed and comprehensive answers.

Other countries have different cultures, different family structures and different housing stocks etc.

There is no one size answer to cover all of Europe or Asia.

That's not to say that we couldn't learn from the experiences of other countries.

• Advertisement

Agree with most of above, however there are similar developed countries to our own such as Germany, France Denmark etc that will have come across this problem already.

So what are they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

There is just no way, you can expect to go to college, get some arts degree etc and afford to live comfortably in Dublin. The cost of living is scandalous. But our useless government wont do anything about it or look after working people. You will have to take matters into your own hands and control what you can... non of us here, will be able to claim the " in hindsight " easy card of living off the state, free luxury housing and few cash in hand jobs. Waiting 12-15 years isn't an option.

I would strongly assume they have appropriate propery tax rates to deter inefficient use of housing. They likely also have proper local retirement housing as an option. This should now potentially be added to all new developments in Dublin, where appropriate...

Isnt it amusing, paying a few cents a day for water or lpt causes world war three. Yet people renting or looking to buy, should whore themselves out for every cent they have on runaway propery prices, but that is deemed fine or fair..

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

by the time it's a problem Sinn Fein will be in power ands we will be sorted out with houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's always a current outraged reaction to things. People tend to forget or ignore just how long it takes to stabilise a housing market. In our case it's all sectors - rental, private and social. With interest rates likely to go up later this year it should ease house prices plus houses building is really taking off with possibly up to 35,000 in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Could be worse. I've to move home shortly as the house I've been renting for almost a decade has been sold and I'll be paying €500 a month for the privilege 🙃

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What could have been an interesting thread about a very real problem has turned out to be nothing more than strawmen, lazy generalisations and ageism.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you d be extremely naïve to think sf are gonna wonder in, and sort things out, theres astonishing complexities involved in our property problems, its very likely we ll still be dealing with serious property problems heading into the next decade, i.e. well beyond the next government....

whos gonna be borrowing the money for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

The amount of folks who whinge about not being able to buy/that rents are too high, yet have every luxury available to man (Netflix, sky, justeat rolling up at the door 3-5 nights a week, holidays away etc..) Is astonishing.

Nowadays people look after that stuff first and essentials come second. That's a fact. It's the consumer world we live in. Even people on job seekers with sky tv subscriptions and regular nights out. People don't know how to take responsibility. It's far easier to whinge.

There is a cohort on low wages who break their neck to work any God given hour and direct their money to essential expenditure forgoing luxuries as just that, luxuries one cannot afford. Social housing is designed for these people.

Advertisement