Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The road there is quite narrow so no matter where you're putting the 5-storey building it will be overshadowing a house. From their own elevation drawing it would affect those in 107-112. Also the vehicle tracking clearly shows them needing to cross to the wrong side of the road to enter from the city side... Good luck there

Didn't somebody try for 20 apartments back around 2004/5 in that area? Can't remember if they got planning or not but, there's nothing there now so I'm assuming not

Has the new plan for that block at Hasset's Cross been approved? If I recall correctly it got approved mainly on the grounds of the medical centre going there, which the developer now wants to ditch

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No it didn't get approved just because there's a medical center on the ground floor. The residents were appealing against the height and the amount of student accommodation. The council and ABP decided that it met all planning laws and granted permission. It had full planning permission, but the developer then put in an application to alter the building and replace the medical center with more student accommodation. This was granted in February and it hasn't been appealed to ABP.

As for the Greenfields development, the planning doc show that the building is 24m from the nearest houses (110-112) and 31m from the others.

I've no idea what you're on about with the entrance. It's no different to any other entrance off the Greenfields Rd. The tracking shows a fire engine needing to swing BTW, not a private car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭adaminho

I remember a 7 storey block getting approved for the old Brannigans site next door to bungalows that was reduced to 5 on appeal to ABP. Thankfully that expired.

Yeah most of the entrances on that road are single houses I think, not entrances to 24 apartments

So you reckon it will get approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

FYI, that's an outdated map. The entirety of Cork City, from Ovens/Ballincollig to Knockraha/Glanmire in the west and east (around 20km as the crow flies) and Cloghroe/Blarney to Crosshaven/Carrigaline in the north and south (around 23km as the crow flies), is all in the one red zone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,318 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

So is the green zone moved further out or just gone ?

What about the two entances to Ballinacura Gardens or the entrance to Roundwood or the 3 side roads to houses along the road? There is one entrance to the apartment block, not 24.

It may or may not get approved, but it's not going to get shot down out of hand due to the height or the vehicle tracking diagram. The council may come back looking for further information and ask them to change some parameters, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't eventually get permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

My understanding is that both maps are correct. I only ever use the Red Zone as per map#1, but I don’t think the zones have changed. Map#2 is just a overview of the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Why were such permanent structures (the out door dining) put outside certain businesses on Thomas street? Should it not have been all businesses along that stretch or none? What if one of the cafes/restaurants closes down and is replaced with a clothes shop, a vape shop or a phone repair shop? What if one of the units that doesn't have the structure at the moment becomes a restaurant, can they then ask the council to put a similar structure up? Seems all over the place to me. The glass also seems needless.

Surely the people in charge could have come up with something more pleasing on the eye and more modular to allow them to be taken away or moved if needs be. Feels like they have jumped the gun and in a few years we could be left with them not being used or at least not being used for the purpose they were put there for.

The later ones installed are straight into the ground so could come up easy enough but the first few have a layer of concrete first which looks a bit more permanent. The glass is there for a wind breaker in the bad weather but it should be see through like the original pictures.

As for what happens a new cafe youde have to ask the council I suppose.

This is the council we are talking about... I would argue against your assumption that they thought it through at all

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Passing today you can see how the ones on the Henry st end of bedford row might look a bit better without the concrete base. The fact that the street is more or less a pedestrian street helps too as there is still plenty of space for people to stop outside without blocking the footpath

The job on Thomas street is awful though. It gets worse each time you pass. The concrete base looks terrible. The glass. The width of the remaining footpath.

Maybe they could leave out the glass for the summer at least? Allow the businesses to have their own barrier up similar to little Catherine Street?

There is no real change to room on the footpath they had the tables out anyway and the cloth barriers are useless in the winter. But they definitely need clear glass and have the concrete tidied up or hidden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭sioda

Any chance someone could post a pic having moved recently is love to see it

I'd be amazed if the premises themselves didn't personalise and decorate these. They'll want their premises looking well and their signage is now hidden so they'll want to rectify that. At the very least I'd expect the bare concrete to be painted.

Sat inside one today for the first time the view from inside isn't as bad when you are sitting down. They are surely gonna need to let places put their names on the glass or frame. If I was somewhere like Coqbull or Sambros i'de be getting a big menu board with some hooks and hang it over the glass

I think it's fair to say Limerick and Clare people have the same target in this respect - save the airport lol

The new 150 bed Bon Secours hospital at the Groody Roundabout has been granted planning permission by the council.

• Advertisement

I noticed the other day that O'Kelly Bros demolition have cordoned off the site on the corner of Wickham St and Upper Gerald Griffin St where the mosque is going, so it looks like that's going to be under construction soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭phog

I saw that but couldn't remember what was going there.

OK this is a bit confusing. The Leader are saying that permission was granted for the new drive thru on Childers Rd where Tim Hortons are due to locate.

This is despite reports that permission was refused and the fact that the owners of the retail park have appealed to ABP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you look at it this way, it might be perfectly reasonable to say planning has been approved(locally), make no mention to ABP and the story is still accurate but also not accurate.

When they also refer to Tim Hortons being Canadian. That's also accurate but it's also accurate to state Tim Hortons is operated by Aryzta foods which to some was previously known as Cuisine de France. Whether this is franchised out locally I don't know as it's the first in Ireland outside of service points in retail like forecourts right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Tim Hortons is not a 'restaurant' lol

restaurant

/ˈrɛst(ə)rɒnt,ˈrɛst(ə)r(ə)nt,ˈrɛst(ə)rɒ̃/

noun

1. a place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the premises.

No lols about it. They cook and sell food and you can sit down to eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It was a café when I was in Canada. There were no meals. Maybe that's changed. I wouldn't call McDonald's a restaurant either mind you

Internet tells me they do burgers and hotdogs in the UK. Cafe is how I would still describe it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Sub-franchised from Burger king owner Berkshire Hathaway these days.

Popeyes another BH brand expected in Ireland soon.

• Advertisement

The Foodservice Market on the Island of Ireland - latest data 2020 (I know, worst year ever) was €4.5bn (€3.3bnROI -€1.2bnNI).

for camparison:

2019 - €8.55bn (€6.32bnROI - €2.23bnNI).

With ca 10k outlets in ROI, investors could see there being room to move in here be they local franchisees or sub-branches of Global HQ.

Tim Horton's is probably a good move in terms of 2019 figures, I had a look at the menu and they straddle some categories [€3bn spend in "Limited Service Restaurants" (35%) and €482m in "Coffee Shops and Cafes" (6%)] .

I think they'll do well. I hope they create many a job here for people.

Advertisement