Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orville

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

37 months since season 2 ended even with Covid that some break between seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tell me about it. I only caught it when it got uploaded to Disney+. Saw a Season 2 episode which ran like Black Mirror. There was a guest star in it, Georgia Wingham, who was one of the main stars in Netflix's mini series The Punisher. Thought to myself, "great to see her after Punisher." Turns out she had actually done The Orville first.

Disney+ Tomorrow 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭corkie

Don't know which thread is the most popular, so cross posting from 'Star Trek' forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,334 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So we get the same story as SNW - very curious, enjoyed it all the same but SNW wins on visuals

• Registered Users Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I must say the remote drone workbees on The Orville are a brilliant idea.

Awe poor Issacc. You can say what you like but I think he has feelings.

Am leaving the spacedock scenes and the walking on the hull and all the technobabble and then the whole scene with the Orville leaving just beautiful and the music too reminds me of the Enterprise in Star Trek leaving spacedock. What a scene. Once again the Orville proves it is more Star Trek than Trek Itself.

Post edited by AMKC on

Ms

Just finished watching it. I must say it was excellent. It has a proper real world delema about if its right or not and a different look and point of view from an alien on that delimma too.

Things that Star Trek used to do.

Star Trek "Strange New Worlds" has been good do so hopefully Star Trek will get back to being more about real world issues and human issues and delimas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,298 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Happy to see this back, might actually make Star Trek care about plot and story again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I heard norm McDonald’s doctors turned off the Machines in his room so he could record his bits from hospital before he died , hope they used some

After watching and reflecting on the opener. It's good but it misses its comedy. Think back to all our favourite comedy shows, Scrubs, Brooklyn 99, Friends, Fraiser etc. They were capable of pumping up the drama and growing with their characters as the seasons went on, but the comedy heart remained. I don't think I've seen such a quick tonal change since RAW went from being an edgy RTÉ 2 late night show to an RTÉ One Sunday night drama you could watch with your parents. I've said in the past that Gordon Molloy's humour was a bit OTT but that doesn't mean I didn't like Grayson and Mercer's awkwardness or Bortus's parenting skills or people underestimating Alara Katan/Talla Keyali and getting their asses whooped. Having said that there was a scene in the trailer where Captain Mercer is getting ready to launch and his speech fell into "May the force be with you". That looked funny and is hopefully a sign that the humour is still there, because I can't think of a single show that turned from comedy to drama successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Homelander

Was an OK episode, not bad, but strangely devoid of laughs - the few jokes thrown in were painfully obvious and totally unconnected to the plot.

Design-wise seems to be moving towards a homage to something closer to Battlestar Galactica than Star Trek.

Enjoyed it, but felt it was really missing something.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

This is weird. It's not like Orville. Felt more like BSG

Ms

Think back to all our favourite comedy shows, Scrubs, Brooklyn 99, Friends, Fraiser etc.

Ha lol. Your favourite shows maybe but certainly not mine. They were and still are all overrated rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Also thought it was just OK. It looked very impressive but not enough storyline to justify an hour running time. Far too long admiring the cool graphics of space dock for me. Could have shaved 20m+ off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A bit of a heavy episode to start back with, but it was good. Agree that it was a bit long though.

The music really grated for me. More bombastic and annoying than usual. Maybe it was always like that, I can't remember.

The full one hour format is not doing it any favours. OK second episode but sagged pretty badly in places with the overstretched side stories, thus lessening the tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,750 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think the completely empty hallways when the ship initially went dark took me out of it. There's no way it would be instantly deserted like that.

Overall though I like the change to a more drama focussed show. Reminded me a bit of the TNG episode where they all devolve into earlier primates and such.

Was there reports of bad tensions on set? Just watched the second episode and, maybe it was the real world situation, maybe it was the extended time apart but something feels off about the actors performances, they aren't gelling as well as they used to. You used to be able to see that they enjoyed their acting jobs. Now, not so much. 😐

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Homelander

I enjoyed the 2nd episode but again, it was missing something; Orville was always Star Trek with a side of silly but it's sorely lacking in the silly. I think back to moments like Bortus growing a mustache or taking up smoking and this seems so far removed.

I still like it, but it seems to have gone full blown Star Trek at this point. Also I found this specific episode a bit odd in that the moment the power went out, the entire crew just....disappeared other than the main cast. I couldn't help but notice it.

Another very stodgy, overlong episode and really not much of a story to it at all. Humour and better pacing would be welcome at this stage or just revert to 42m episodes.

Ms

I thought the latest episode was really good. I initially thought it was the Kaylon that were doing it.

I liked the reveal at the end. Yes it's a pity that it has lost its humour but Hulu most have been against it.

I would not have minded if it kept the humour but was less silly.

I think that by mid season 2 they had the balance between TNG and Galaxy Quest about right TBH.

This season has leaned too far into TNG. If Strange New Worlds hadn't come along it wouldn't be too bad, but SNW is surprisingly good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah I'd agree with that - every episode has felt quite drawn out the extended runtime hasn't really felt justified.

I don't know a lot about Star Trek but the character in the most recent episode seems to have powers similar to Q? Also, since I'm on the topic, is Strange New Worlds accessible for people who don't know the Trek lore?

I'd like them to spend more time with the characters themselves, so far episode one was really Issac's story, episode 2 Claire's, and episode 3 didn't really develop any of the main characters out. I'd like to see them use the likes of Bortus, John and Kelly more

Did someone say Tron?

Enjoyed that

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nice to see Captain John Sheridan even though it took a moment to recognise him under all the make up.

Yea good episode this week but it did get very dark at one point (the whole bringing the couple into a room to meet what could have been their son - as Ed himself said, Jesus Christ!)

Overall though a solid episode that both followed up on and continued a plot from season 2, but more of last seasons humour would be good!

This show has become too serious with overly long episodes

There is zero comedy in it now - I'm not feeling the love for what is feeling like a cheap ST knock off now

• Advertisement

This week wasn't too bad in fairness. I actually enjoyed this one. It's a follow-up from a season 2 episode which tackled the same issue in very much the same way. The "side-step" of the orders so that the procedure could go ahead is very much in keeping with the Orville that I remember from a few years ago. OK so we're not back at the level of Issac chopping off Gordon's leg or Bortus smoking on the bridge, but there's definitely been a thaw in the tension that in my opinion has been ruining the stories of late.

Advertisement