Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do people get so fighty on forums like this?

• 12-05-2022 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

There's an awful lot of aggression on anonymous boards like this. What is it about people that gets them arguing bitterly with someone they don't know, often about a topic they half understand like what rural Russians think of NATO or what policy levers should be used to ease the rental market?

Another mad thing you often see is someone trying hard to be the top dog on a particular topic. Like a fella who will put down someone else's knowledge of Fermanagh football or Tipperary hurling and try to show off with insights like corner back X is sometimes a slow to clear the ball off his right hand side. These people sort of humblebrag about their knowledge, by making obscure points, but really, isn't it quite a pathetic ambition to be respected on an anonymous forum?

Post edited by Raichu on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭toyotatommy

Sweeping essays, multi quote and covid/war expertise is all the rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭victor8600

isn't it quite a pathetic ambition to be respected 

An anonymous forum is a relatively safe playground to test the limits of someone's debating skills. If you don't want to play, then get out of the sand box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I've a sneaking suspicion that a lot of it is the inverse of their real lives, they've never achieved anything of tangible importance, so spend their time massaging their own egos, by forcing their viewpoints and contrarian arguments, and stifling actual discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

People have too much energy from sitting all day and want to practice their strength on other people, particularly their intellectual strength and greater knowledge (real or imagined). Ego comes into it as well obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Two who each half understand the topic will be able to put their knowledge together and reach an agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I think that it's because a lot of us highly intelligent people have no patience dealing with ordinary folk and just lash out in frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭growleaves

'but really, isn't it quite a pathetic ambition to be respected on an anonymous forum?'

I suppose so. It's a low hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Ah yeah, strange behaviour.

One lad was posting something that was factually incorrect the other day. Called him out on it and he immediately gets all shirty like ‘what’s your point?’.

My point is you haven’t a clue, mate.

Continued to badger me because I didn’t ignore his guff.

First person I have had to add to my ‘ignore’ list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It will never cease to amaze me what utterly random (and pointless) hills some Boardsies choose to die on. It's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Small man syndrome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Telling someone they haven't a clue is a sure-fire way to get someone's back up. There are 101 ways to draw attention to factual inaccuracies that don't include the old ad hominem call out!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's all boardsies at some point or other but a Boards holiday is always a good way to clear the system of such negative thoughts.

I didn’t tell him he didn’t have a clue. 🤣

I pointed out the inaccuracies. He immediately piped in with ‘what’s your point?’. I clarified again that he was incorrect and another ‘what’s your point?’ and went downhill from there.

Problem is he has built a whole spiel based on the ‘facts’, so he will never accept that he was wrong.

Quite childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Could be worse - you could provide countless links to black and white evidence on your post, but the other poster is a mod who then threatens to ban you because you "offended them".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Could you imagine a holiday where there's a load of boardsies on it all together? The drama off it would bate any episode of any reality TV show ever created

Last boards beer meet up was a complete failure as the WiFi wouldn’t work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

There are a large number of angry men, both middle aged and entering into it, who don’t like “change”, lack compassion and, generally, just want to yell at clouds, on here.

The world is changing and they don’t like it. They also don’t like seeing others “succeeding” at life, something they’ve failed to do themselves.

All of this anger is directed at immigrants, people of colour, women (both cis and trans), homosexuals and anyone who doesn’t also hate these people.

Thankfully, most of these are contained in the “Current Affairs” forum but a number of unsuitable threads in here act as a staging post for them to spread out and infect the rest of the forum, spiting their hatred, and spite, towards more normal users.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I gave up on multi quote, long winded arguments years ago. I do sometimes enjoy seeing others participating in them though.

The worst type of snark merchants are the "post count" and "attack the OP" brigade. They'll jump in as soon as they can to get their attack in, scanning through a long post to find one word or sentence to go after. They rarely start threads and the majority of their "contributions" to the site are short. I guarantee that they don't speak to people like that in real life.

What you have to look out for is when someone starts attacking the "thankers" of a post. You know it's an all-out war at that stage 😅

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AttractiveAndSingle

Emmet you are what the kids today call a “white knight”. No offence intended, I agree with your wider points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Some posters just can't handle it when others have a different opinion or disagree with them. They'll lash out at them and twist their words around to paint the poster in a bad light and make themselves feel better. I imagine that most wouldn't dare do it face to face. Wannabe bullies basically.

Thankfully, the vast majority of users on here are nothing like that and it's really only a small minority who act like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I don't think the vast majority of users are aggressive or argumentative: nor are most of the forums. Current Affairs and AH seems to draw them. They're just being obstreperous because they can't/won't do it in real life. All mouth and no trousers, as my granny used to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It has always been like that. Only difference is now there are less funny and amusing threads to balance out the fighty ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

There's an awful lot of aggression on anonymous boards like this.

No, there fucking isn't. Do you want a slap, do you? Do you want a fucking slap?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Why?

Sexual frustration probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

COS KERNTS ARE FOOKING THICK 😡😡😡

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement