Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people get so fighty on forums like this?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Self-gratification. The feeling of being superior to others. Selfishness. Just your typical human traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It’s actually a bit of craic rising them, but people who get angry about strangers disagreeing with them are a bit touched.

People trying to demonstrate their superior knowledge of sport as well, ye are fecking daft!

The Russia thread is a classic example of Boards psychology at work.

It started as a live update and discussion of the war in Ukraine but gradually dissolved, or perhaps Distilled, into about 10 lads posting the same drivel day after day: all Russians are Orcs, RuSSia, Putler, PooTin. They clap and joke about videos of dead or dying Russians and try to top each others outrage about the latest Russian atrocity. One lad writes poems about the war, another proudly posts pictures of how much he has contributed to a bank account to help Ukraine. Some end their posts with Slava Ukraine and openly call for the burning of the Russian embassy and the bombing of innocent civilians, including children in Russian cities. Anyone who disagrees is branded a Putin Apologist.

The mods seem to think this is exactly what a thread on the Ukraine war should be about and ban anyone who doesn't follow the narrative.

I think this website has deteriorated dramatically since the upgrade. Not because of software glitches, but because many of the worthwhile posters have left, along with the best Mods.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

DeVore shared this vid once - Thought Germ Fuel... ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Some people are actually tad passionate.

Some people can't leave anything go.

Some people like winding others up.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ThePentagon

I remember about 10 or so years ago (on my previous account) quite regularly engaging in/getting drawn into long, multi-day debates/arguments with particular posters in boards threads.

What would start as a throwaway comment would descend into a grueling war of attrition with every sentence quoted and criticised, and every logical fallacy committed at some point.

I recall finding it quite exhausting and even feeling a bit stressed waiting for the other person's reply. For whatever reason, it felt vitally important to respond to each comment, even if the "debate" had long since deviated unrecognisably from the original post.

Crazy when I think about it 😆 . Anyhow, it's only you when take a break from boards (or things like twitter) that you remember how absolutely irrelevant topical discussions on social media are to real life. I think it provides some temporary egotistical stimulation but apart from that, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

That’s funny, but at least you realised how mad it was and stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

In a debate you will have someone raising constructive points, these are the people who want to help with and solve problems.

Then there are the people who just attack and blame men or women or dogs or anything really; these are the people *with problems*

A contemporary example is the DUP / Brexit / Northern Ireland Protocol. They're not trying to solve the problem of which there isn't really anyway. They just have a problem with Catholics / Nationalists and attack them and whatever they are in favour off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

This topic should be renamed as " Why do " OTHER " people get so fighty on forums like this . All ive read so far is posters pointing fingers at all the "other" people who argue and squabble over random topics while they themselves conduct civilized debate always seeking and speaking the truth . Talk about humblebragging 🙄

Its a bit like the forums that regularly appear from " Really good car drivers " who constantly blame everyone else for breaking the rules , not knowing the rules and generally driving badly . They themselves of course are faultless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,057 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Did some dickhead try to call me fighty?

D'ya want yer bleedin' go or wha'?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I only recently realised there is a remedy.

If someone disrespects you or picks a fight with you just like in real life you can walk away.

The only difference is they can't follow you and you won't get a blow on the back of the skull 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Is "fighty" an actual word.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

A big fight broke out at a boards beer meet one time. I’ll never forget it, they had to turn off the WiFi to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Astartes

Most people are just feckin miserable these days and I don't blame them. Better leave off a bit of steam on a message board than screaming into a mirror in your bedsit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

They can follow you to another thread.

Stick them on the ignore list.

I haven't had that problem.

I don't use the ignore list with one exception and it's a poster I think is pretty ok really but I just got tired of scrolling down a long boring list he keeps posting.

I prefer to keep in touch with what others are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Cause venting in real life you'll end up in jail or fined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I personal have no problem with people disagreeing with me, I will reply back as this is a discussion board, but I will never get the circular argument (often an non-argument that resolves nothing) that occurs with some boards posters. They seem to just repeat themselves without actually backing up any of their claims and they then just come across as dismissive of any claims you have research and have a fair idea about, though I am always open to correction, and happy to learn from many here on boards.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

6 banned and one deleted account from a two page one year old zombie thread.

Everyone who disagrees with me is probably a bot!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Some are extra sensetive souls and have their feelings hurt very easily. Use of the flag function is more prevalent.

Darth Randomer

Darth Randomer

That particular episode would end up abandoned half way through. And then the data would be erased because of GDPR.

Some people were very cross over on the discussion about Ryan Tubridy. There's just so much cynicism and anger.

Halloween is still a while away so let’s leave the zombies asleep for now.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement