Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

La Croix du Vieux Pont

This place has everything you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Im guessing that you can no longer stay in your camper overnight, there were no facilities bar toilets but was extremely handy the few times we went.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks! I've looked into those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cucumber1

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

100% agree. Fantastic campsite. The drive to Disney will take approx 70 mins. Highly recommend this option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

If i want to book a ferry and campsite do i book separately or do people generally use a travel agent?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Book separately.

Irish Ferries or Brittany Ferries

Canvas or Eurocamp would be good starters

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,510 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Never used a Travel agent for any travel anywhere. The internet allows you to literally research anywhere and everywhere and Threads like this are full of useful info.

Been to France 7 or 8 times and used around 5 different companies - Eurocamp etc and Brittany Ferries, because I'm in Cork.

Decide where you when you want to go and use the company websites to compare mobile/tent prices. Not too many Ferry options, so you will be tied to their prices.

Fly drive might prove another option for you to explore, depending on how far south you might decide to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Hi. I'd appreciate any advice on the following - I'm looking to book a campervan/motorhome for the 2023 rugby world cup in France. Pickup in Bordeaux and drop off in Paris. Any recommendations on hire companies is appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Can't wait to get back to France. It will have been 3 years by the time we get there. Heading back to the Vendée again - Le Pin Parasol this year.

Have done Les Ecureils and Sol a GoGo before. Sol a GoGo being our favourite - can't recommend it enough for younger kids.

Looking at doing a day to Puy du Fou this year. Anyone have any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Puy du Fou: Bring a rain-jacket. We got caught in a torrential downpour there in July 2018. We were wet to our underpantz.

Otherwise, arrive early and get the full day out of it. From what I recall, it's no Disney in terms of cost - it was reasonable for food and drinks, but bring water, etc.

Also look-up the timetable (https://www.puydufou.com/france/en/program-for-the-day) for each of the show-times as things like "Le Bal des Oiseaux Fantômes" are only on 3 times a day.

As you're only an hour away from the venue, you should consider doing the "Spectacle nocturne" as when I last did that (in eh 1994) it was some show and still is considered to be one of the best French entertainment events.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,699 ✭✭✭✭josip

Has anyone ever taken surfing lessons at Labenne and any recommendations for a surf school?

We're staying a week at Yelloh Sylvamar and want to book our daughter (13) into surf school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Puy du Fou, its difficult yo see all the attractions in one day, due to scheduling and waiting times etc.

If you can, park up in the camping field ( no hook-up) and take two days at it.

Food in the resort not too expensive as these places go. Basic chips, ham and cheese baguettes etc.

Night show on the water is very good, about 15 minutes walk back to the motorhome parking afterwards.

Little kiosk sells baguettes etc in the morning, but sells out fast.

Wastewater dump and toilet cassette disposal at the exit point.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rex_turner

@McSween

We always booked separately, directly with campsite and travelled with Brittany-Ferries, but in 2019 booked the full thing through Brittany-Ferries We got brilliant accommodation at an excellent price. We were so impressed that we booked our full 2020 holiday through them as well which was a relief when Covid hit. Also you only pay a deposit of 80 euro per person with the as opposed to 50%of the ferry price.

The agents are also very helpful so worth giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Absolutely loved puy du fou - we arrived early and did the night show too which was amazing. It was a scorcher and some of the shows mean you are sitting high and in the open. Bring sun hats- we bought some there. We were all exhausted and got back to pin parasol after 1. To be honest for us- one day was enough out of a 9 day holiday as much as we loved it. I would go back again on another trip. Some of the walk through places were amazing- no queues. The show with the birds of prey was amazing. Book the night show now as it sells out

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

I haven't travelled on the W.B. Yeats yet. Will be going out on it the middle of July. Has anyone recently eaten in Boylan's Brasserie? Trying to decide if we need to leave home really early so we can have dinner before we board or do the easiest thing and eat on it.

Have a club cabin and an inside cabin booked so will be able to use the club class lounge.

Anybody have an idea how long it takes to disembark when the ship is fairly full? Can't get speedy exit as the car is too high.

Can't wait to go back to France, 2019 feels so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Disembarking only takes ten minutes when you get to your vehicle.

The biggest pain is everyone flocking to the staircases as soon as the announcements are made, and then spend up to half an hour standing on the steps in a melee untill the doors onto the car decks are opened.

I think the queuing on the stairs is on every ferry. It's madness. Thanks so much for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

The lounge can be very busy with families in the summer, Boylans is okay, but also gets very busy. I would get a decent meal in Dublin before boarding. Boarding is very quick on the WB Yeats.

• Advertisement

Thanks for bringing up the discussion about disembarkation times. It's timely as I was wondering what they are generally like for Brittany Ferries' Pont Aven on arrival into Roscoff. We're scheduled to arrive in for 7am and I have a long drive ahead. Is it generally quick to empty out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

The early arrival in Roscoff is great, once you are up! An alarm sound wakes everyone up about an hour before docking. Usually off quick enough, and you have an ideal start on empty Sunday morning roads. Roscoff is also a lovely spot to spend a few hours on your return.

We normally sail back from France on the Pont Aven, only travelled once to France on it. It all depends on where you are parked on the ship. Twice we were sitting in the car on the car deck in Cork for an hour and half queuing to get off. In Roscoff we were lucky and were on the deck that unloads first so we were on our way in no time.

The Sunday morning early arrival is fantastic as the roads are very quiet.

Were you carrying a roof-box or do you know how you get 'promoted' to the top car-deck?

Mazda 6 with a roofbox. Some years we were sitting at Roscoff port for ages waiting to board as we seem to always be put on nearly last on the Pont Aven. No clue how to get the best deck, we could never figure it out as other cars with roof boxes the same height as ours would arrive a good while after us and nearly drive straight on the ship.

We used to sail out of Rosslare and buy the speedy exit which was fantastic. Brittany Ferries don't offer that unfortunately.

We have a Rav4 now with a roofbox so will have to see how having a higher car plays out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I’ve always travelled with car and caravan on Brittany Ferries and have always been boarded more or less last both at Cork and Roscoff based on the height of the caravan. I’ve now arranged to leave the caravan in storage in Spain on the Costa Brava only about 20 minutes south of the border so I’m able to collect the caravan and head either north into France or south further into Spain. This decision was based on the potential savings in fuel and tolls traveling the length of France solo with the car rather than towing the caravan and the fact that as I’ve got older the towing has become more taxing. So my return crossing on 31st May will be my first without the caravan and I’m anticipating that I’ll be boarding earlier than I have been used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭sceach16

We went over Easter. Ferry was due in 11, actual 11.15 ish. We cleared customs/immigration at 12.32. Most of delay was on the ship. I have to say we were pleased.....we have been stuck longer!

Eating on the WBY is not good. The fancy restaurant is 60 a head. Food was good the last time we tried it but 3 lunches in France are more enjoyable. Boylans is about 15 for a main and its cafeteria food.

Breakfast in the fancy is actually very good (20euro)and good value compared to Boylans.....juice/coffee and a full irish or eggs benedict .....refills of juice and coffee make the difference. Boylans is per item/cup/glass. The big breakfast means you can hit the road and a small top up in a motorway caf.

We are 3 adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Jack0125

We are in France for 2.5 weeks in June July. (2 adults/3 kids 8 and under) We are in Sol a Gogo for the first week.

Any advice on here about whether to use the motorway system to Rennes and then Nantes to get to Vendee? Or is cross country on minor roads just as good?

Im torn by the fact we arriving in Roscoff at 7am so no rush and the cross country using minor roads is practically the same as Motorway route in terms of time. 5 hrs approx

Anyone any experience of Roscoff to sol a gogo?

Thanks

Depends on your objective really, Jack0125. The motorway (N137) between Rennes and Nantes is very good at 1 hour and 5 mins between the two at 105km distance. The alternative is the D-roads, but these can be slow, especially if there is agricultural traffic on them.

If you're landing in Roscoff at 7am on a Sunday (as will I) you could take the Western road via Pontivy and Vannes which crosses the "Parc naturel régional d'Armorique". You can then cross the Loire at St Nazaire or go in-land to Nantes and join up with the route to Challans, etc. It's working out at a easy enough 5h50 for that route. If you are planning that route in Google Maps, just click "Avoid Highways" between Roscoff and Sol a Gogo. Frankly, you have more than enough time as most campsites only allow arrivals after 4pm.

I can recommend Saint Nazaire as a stop-off, there is a massive WWII submarine pen in the docks area and it's worth experiencing that just to marvel at the scale of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

according to Google it's 1h20m slower if you avoid the motorways, it'll be a much more tiring drive as well going through all the towns en-route and you're liable to get delayed further.

If you have time to spare, stop off in Rennes or Nantes and do a bit of sightseeing (I've recommended Machine des L'iles in Nantes on here before, it's amazing). You'll have plenty of time to drive around on country roads when you get to the Vendee.

Advertisement