Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bolands Hyundai - Waterford- Terrible Customer Service

• 06-05-2022 10:06pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭

!RANT WARNING!

So today was an interesting one for me. 

Dropped my ioniq to Bolands Waterford for the 120k kms service. I asked at booking for a price & breakdown of what was being done as when I booked it in the guy booked told me they would top up my ad-blu and do an oil change etc 🙄

Yesterday they ring me asking if I can drop the car down at 9.30am instead of 2pm I was booked for because they needed to do a recall item on it. 

So I dropped it yesterday evening, got an email after 5 of the breakdown and price of €308!!!

I emailed back asking for items such as oil disposal etc to be taken off the estimate. 

I then spent this morning ringing other garages to get a quote for the “big 120k kms service”.

For reference: 

Castlebar €170

Galway €175

Kilkenny €175

Wexford €99

Waterford €308

So I get a txt at 11:30 to say they have finished my car.

I collected it at around 5pm & asking the service rep for a bit more detail why the price was so expensive versus other main dealers & I was given every excuse under the sun…. At this point I asked for a detailed breakdown of what was done on my last service (at 105k kms!) as this was only €69 & I wanted to understand why this service was 4.4 times the cost….. keeping in mind there was nothing changed (no pads/discs etc). The offered me a “discount” and said they would do it for €210. They still didn’t answer my question as to why their sister garage in wexford would have been €99.

The lady I was dealing with went and got the service manager who was what can only be described as pig ignorant. He wasn’t willing to answer any of my questions or explain the difference in costs versus other garages. In the end he threw the keys at me and told me I am no longer welcome back for future services 🙈 Obviously I will be contacting their head office to lodge a formal complaint regarding this issue. 

Lesson for me today is 

1. do not take the service appointment without them confirming the price. 

2. Always price around as “the main dealer system” doesn’t give you the same price in every garage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Did you get an itemised bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

They're (in)famous for a high turnover of staff in there.

I dealt with them once and only once when I had a similar problem with a small repair job. (16 years ago)

It's the one and only time I raised my voice as a customer. I got shouted out of there.

Never paid the bill though!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Yes I got an itemised bill, but even at that they couldn’t explain the extra cost.

the manager just came out shouting ‘I don’t care what other quotes you got’ and carried on like he did. Disgraceful carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What was on the itemised bill?

They weren't charging you €308 for an oil change and some ad blue.

The biggest cost was labour at 230 + VAT, and when questioned why it was 230 compared to the last service at which was a lot less, they said it was because this service had more "checks" such as the brake lights and the reversing lights.

They weren't even changing the oil, or topping up the ad blue, because it's an electric car they were servicing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

So in addition to charging a small fortune, they didn't take 30 seconds to check the lights on a previous service? I'd have thought that would be one of the bare minimum things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I wonder is he related to that crazy service station owner who kept fencing off the ESB charger he had? 😁

Seriously though, that's pretty poor. Sounds like they were scamming on the labour costs there

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Labour cost was exactly the issue I had with them all those years ago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Which Ioniq do you have?

We bought an Ioniq 5 from same garage, they were a good place to deal with when buying. But we will certainly get a price before any service work from them. The price you have been charged sounds crazy..

• Moderators Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Did I read on FB that the manager has apologised and is following up with Hyundai on the costs?

• Advertisement

Correct, i was just about to come here to update as i had forgotten.

The Manager called on saturday and offered my wife a bit of a weak apology, but she accepted it none the less, and we're no longer barred from the business.

So that came about because you went ahead and complained to hyundai ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Comer1

No longer barred?! Why would you ever want to go back there again and give them a single cent of your money?

• Moderators Posts: 12,381 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

@kuang1 1 no, he rang my wife out of the blue on Saturday afternoon, after this thread had been posted, 2 fairly lenghty threads on Facebook EV groups and a 1star(i had to leave at least 1) review on Google. I would imagine someone much higher up in the Bolands system gave very stern instructions that he was to call and apologize for his childish carry on.

@Comer1 r1 oh, no we won't be going back, even tho the car we have bought to replace our Ioniq is actually a Hyundai, i'll be giving Kearys or another garage in the locality our custom.

@Black_Knight that's exactly what it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Give a negative review on Google, Twitter and FB OP.

Im sure Hyundai Ireland head office would like to know what way their franchise staff and management are treating their customers and overcharging them also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I left a negative review for my local Nissan dealer after I got very poor customer service, and it's been removed.

Not sure how that happened. Can businesses who get bad reviews appeal them with Google?

Nissan Ireland asked me who they were and I should have told them. Instead I just went into one in the north.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Funny thing (and it's not funny) is the two oldest EVs out there are pittance servicing, our Leaf was €77 for full dealer service and the Tesla is zero as no servicing required.

It's all a money racket, EVs will kill service and repair incomes and in a lot of garages that is a surprisingly large proportion of cash income

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭10-10-20

EV service:

• Update firmware
    • Check tyres
    • Check brakes (regen pretty much negates brake-wear)
    • Fill the washer bottle.

The upsell these days is replacement wipers.

Tbh most of them seem to struggle with the first item

Don't forget the pollen filter, wouldn't want anyone to die of sneezing while driving 🤣

• Advertisement

Absolutely agree, VW seem to be trying to sign everyone up to service packages to keep some steady income

EV service should really be renamed an inspection, since that's all it really is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I am aware that business can appeal to google to have review deleted.

However any google review I have made I always get the name of the staff member or manager , time , location details of issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Bolands BMW in WD tried to charge me €78 for a replacement rear wiper blade (one blade) for an i3s - I politely declined and bought a suitable length generic one in Halfords for €15 and swapped the rubber over.

Advertisement