Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indie Chat

Options
  • 16-04-2022 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭

So, there are an ocean of Indie games out there, Playstation store alone has tons where I have no idea what are absolute shyte and what turn out to be Outer Wilds, Return of the Obra Dinn, Subnautica, etc. There are always going to be diamonds in the rough so I thought a dedicated thread might help identify the good ones.

Place your recommendations or requests if you want feedback on certain games.

Ones I'm currently interested in...

Road 96 - Play as multiple characters trying to hitchhike out of a fictional country. Procedurally generated routes leads to multiple playthroughs to meet all the characters and your choices lead to multiple endings.

Lake - Return to a lakeside town to take over the job of delivering mail for 2 weeks.

Martha is Dead - Psychological Horror that is meant to be unnerving but a great story. Current controversy over PlayStation censoring certain parts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

There was some good recommendations on this thread a while back....

Mark of the Ninja a favourite of mine, brilliant 2d stealth-platformer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This looks class, reminds me of Comix Zone on the Megadrive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some of you might have played Maquette last year, a rather underwhelming game with the central hook that the world was 'recursive' (i.e. the level you're currently in has an identical smaller version within it, and exists within a larger version of itself - with infinite smaller / bigger versions beyond that). The game didn't do a whole lot with the undeniably cool concept, even if it was neat seeing it play out in 3D.

Patrick's Parabox (PC only at the mo) may be a 2D puzzler with very plain graphics, but rest assured it is a true realisation of the 'recursive puzzle game' concept. I've only played the first few levels so far but it's already delivered some mind-melting takes on recursive puzzling - brilliant, smart puzzle design. And after the likes of Stephen's Sausage Roll, Baba Is You and A Monster's Expedition, it's further evidence that some of the very best things in game design are happening within the modest confines of sokoban-like 2D puzzle games.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Currently deciding between these 2. Dysmantle, currently on sale on psn for 16 down from 20. Surviving the Aftermath, currently on sale on psn for 21 down for 30 (goes back up tonight).

Anyone play these and recommend them?

Dysmantle

Surviving The Aftermath

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Interested in trying Trek to Yomi when it releases next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Which one did you go for in the end ? second one looks interesting .

I got Dysmantle and it started interesting but it's just not grabbing me. Raging I didn't get Surviving the Aftermath instead.

V tempting this, the art style looks cool. Only 20 quid and has 10% off that if pre order by Thursday

Vampire Survivors looks awful but is very good

I've heard about unpacking, now getting on PlayStation on 10th May, and looks so boring but intriguing at the same time. Anyone play it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Played it on gamepass, usually played to get daily achievement for Microsoft Rewards. It's a very simple game where you just unpack boxes and place the objects around the house

I found it about as fun as it looks. Boring

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

One of the best games in the last while imo, very addictive game.

Salt & Sacrifice is out on the 10th, was late to the party with the first game but loved it so looking forward to this.

Played through the first 2 chapters of Trek to Yomi. The combat, as per reviews, isn't great, feels kinda clunky. But loving the story & atmosphere, and the art style is gorgeous. Very enjoyable overall, as long as you're not expecting too much from the combat.

Thanks man, i was really interested in that but think I'll wait for sale or ps plus.

Also, highly recommend Sifu. If Elden Ring didn't release, Sifu would be my GOTY so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I also played through the first hour or two of Trek to Yomi on GamePass and found it hugely disappointing. It has the look, yes, but the combat is extremely tedious and it's basically the one way you meaningfully interact with the world. It's just endless streams of grunts to mow down, which also has the unfortunate effect of really undermining the whole Kurosawa homage side of things. Kurosawa and his contemporaries made films are about short bursts of intense action alongside lots of careful planning, atmosphere and character-building - Trek to Yomi might have the visual trappings of classic samurai movies (and it does look very impressive in that regard, loaded with post-processing effects), but it has neither the brains nor the heart.

Much less disappointing is the excellent Citizen Sleeper (currently PC / Xbox / Switch). A sort of lite-RPG / visual novel type game in which you play a sort of syntenic being that has arrived on a decaying space station. It looks and sounds great, but most importantly has the writing to match - a thoughtful and probing exploration of surviving in a fragile capitalist ecosystem, focused on the various humans you encounter as you explore the station. It's a very moody and contemplative game, and it's main systems - a basic survival system, and a set of five dice that refresh every game-day with which you can carry out actions (with a risk system based on your skill points and the dice numbers you have to play with) - are well-considered. It took me around 6-7 hours to see a bulk of the game and I highly recommend it.

Yomi is definitely repetitive, but I thought endless combat was the appeal of these "parry-stamina bar" type games?

Played The Forgotten City a few days ago. Finished it in three sittings which is the ideal length of a game for me. Got recommended it after looking for a game similar to Outer Wilds. Takes a bit to get into but finishes really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlmVPG3y03Q

One that snuck up on me and is out today, I must have completely missed any announcement around it. Really enjoyed the first game and some of the devs other games.

• Advertisement

Unpacking out on consoles today. The mechanic of discovering a person's story through their belongings, new and old, is intriguing to me but not 20 euro intriguing.

I'm with you there. It's more like a Plus-game-within-12-months intriguing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I played it on game pass, you could probably finish it in about 2 hours or so. Honestly I had to remind myself and look up what it was about.

Indie sale on Playstation today. Think I'm finally going to have to try The Forest at the price of €5.94. Especially as I'm craving Survivor/Build games atm.

Also really like the look of Lacuna, currently €10 down from 20.

This War of Mine Final Cut is out today on consoles but is 20 euro with no free update if you own the old version. Also doesn't include the expansions which you have to buy separately for a tenner bundle. No way I'm paying that but it has made me reinstall the PS4 version to see if I can finally make it through the war this time.

The Forest

Lacuna

This War of Mine Final Cut

The Forest excels in multiplayer. Convince a friend to get it.

I'm awful for scheduled shenanigans, I'm more a turn up and see who's on :)

Is it still enjoyable as single player?

It's terrifying in single player! 😃

Play with headphones and don't look up any guides or videos. Go in blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Finished Lake(via gamepass). It sorta reminded me of Telltale games from the PS3/360 era as its fairly limited in terms of presentation, polish and animation with a bit more of an early access feel to it. I played the demo released around E3 last year and the final game feels the same more or less; a lot of shortcuts taken. The gameplay loop essentially is deliver letters & packages by day and help out people you meet in the evenings with fairly mundane tasks. Voice acting and soundtrack is good for the clearly limited budget. Kept expecting some kind of twist that never came in the 6 or so hours it lasts.

Worth a play on Gamepass but as a purchase I'd say wait for a nice price drop as while there is a few endings its not a game you'd be itching to replay after rolling the credits.

• Advertisement

Playing Last Stop (gamepass) at the minute and about half way through and loving it !!!!! It's by the team that made Virginia and it also plays like a TellTale with the padding and fake choice taken out and has decent story and quality voice acting. When I say there is no padding I mean it!!!!!! It plays like it's on rails pretty much and every conversation has meaning. Highlight so far is the Yakuza inspired piano bit QTE with John and Jack.

It's 3 stories that interweave a bit and after each chapter you pick which chapter of the 3 main characters you want to play next.

Advertisement