Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indie Chat

• 16-04-2022 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭

So, there are an ocean of Indie games out there, Playstation store alone has tons where I have no idea what are absolute shyte and what turn out to be Outer Wilds, Return of the Obra Dinn, Subnautica, etc. There are always going to be diamonds in the rough so I thought a dedicated thread might help identify the good ones.

Place your recommendations or requests if you want feedback on certain games.

Ones I'm currently interested in...

Road 96 - Play as multiple characters trying to hitchhike out of a fictional country. Procedurally generated routes leads to multiple playthroughs to meet all the characters and your choices lead to multiple endings.

Lake - Return to a lakeside town to take over the job of delivering mail for 2 weeks.

Martha is Dead - Psychological Horror that is meant to be unnerving but a great story. Current controversy over PlayStation censoring certain parts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

There was some good recommendations on this thread a while back....

Mark of the Ninja a favourite of mine, brilliant 2d stealth-platformer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This looks class, reminds me of Comix Zone on the Megadrive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some of you might have played Maquette last year, a rather underwhelming game with the central hook that the world was 'recursive' (i.e. the level you're currently in has an identical smaller version within it, and exists within a larger version of itself - with infinite smaller / bigger versions beyond that). The game didn't do a whole lot with the undeniably cool concept, even if it was neat seeing it play out in 3D.

Patrick's Parabox (PC only at the mo) may be a 2D puzzler with very plain graphics, but rest assured it is a true realisation of the 'recursive puzzle game' concept. I've only played the first few levels so far but it's already delivered some mind-melting takes on recursive puzzling - brilliant, smart puzzle design. And after the likes of Stephen's Sausage Roll, Baba Is You and A Monster's Expedition, it's further evidence that some of the very best things in game design are happening within the modest confines of sokoban-like 2D puzzle games.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

Currently deciding between these 2. Dysmantle, currently on sale on psn for 16 down from 20. Surviving the Aftermath, currently on sale on psn for 21 down for 30 (goes back up tonight).

Anyone play these and recommend them?

Dysmantle

Surviving The Aftermath

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Interested in trying Trek to Yomi when it releases next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Which one did you go for in the end ? second one looks interesting .

I got Dysmantle and it started interesting but it's just not grabbing me. Raging I didn't get Surviving the Aftermath instead.

V tempting this, the art style looks cool. Only 20 quid and has 10% off that if pre order by Thursday

Vampire Survivors looks awful but is very good

I've heard about unpacking, now getting on PlayStation on 10th May, and looks so boring but intriguing at the same time. Anyone play it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Played it on gamepass, usually played to get daily achievement for Microsoft Rewards. It's a very simple game where you just unpack boxes and place the objects around the house

I found it about as fun as it looks. Boring

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

One of the best games in the last while imo, very addictive game.

Salt & Sacrifice is out on the 10th, was late to the party with the first game but loved it so looking forward to this.

Played through the first 2 chapters of Trek to Yomi. The combat, as per reviews, isn't great, feels kinda clunky. But loving the story & atmosphere, and the art style is gorgeous. Very enjoyable overall, as long as you're not expecting too much from the combat.

Thanks man, i was really interested in that but think I'll wait for sale or ps plus.

Also, highly recommend Sifu. If Elden Ring didn't release, Sifu would be my GOTY so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I also played through the first hour or two of Trek to Yomi on GamePass and found it hugely disappointing. It has the look, yes, but the combat is extremely tedious and it's basically the one way you meaningfully interact with the world. It's just endless streams of grunts to mow down, which also has the unfortunate effect of really undermining the whole Kurosawa homage side of things. Kurosawa and his contemporaries made films are about short bursts of intense action alongside lots of careful planning, atmosphere and character-building - Trek to Yomi might have the visual trappings of classic samurai movies (and it does look very impressive in that regard, loaded with post-processing effects), but it has neither the brains nor the heart.

Much less disappointing is the excellent Citizen Sleeper (currently PC / Xbox / Switch). A sort of lite-RPG / visual novel type game in which you play a sort of syntenic being that has arrived on a decaying space station. It looks and sounds great, but most importantly has the writing to match - a thoughtful and probing exploration of surviving in a fragile capitalist ecosystem, focused on the various humans you encounter as you explore the station. It's a very moody and contemplative game, and it's main systems - a basic survival system, and a set of five dice that refresh every game-day with which you can carry out actions (with a risk system based on your skill points and the dice numbers you have to play with) - are well-considered. It took me around 6-7 hours to see a bulk of the game and I highly recommend it.

Yomi is definitely repetitive, but I thought endless combat was the appeal of these "parry-stamina bar" type games?

Played The Forgotten City a few days ago. Finished it in three sittings which is the ideal length of a game for me. Got recommended it after looking for a game similar to Outer Wilds. Takes a bit to get into but finishes really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlmVPG3y03Q

One that snuck up on me and is out today, I must have completely missed any announcement around it. Really enjoyed the first game and some of the devs other games.

• Advertisement

Unpacking out on consoles today. The mechanic of discovering a person's story through their belongings, new and old, is intriguing to me but not 20 euro intriguing.

I'm with you there. It's more like a Plus-game-within-12-months intriguing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I played it on game pass, you could probably finish it in about 2 hours or so. Honestly I had to remind myself and look up what it was about.

Indie sale on Playstation today. Think I'm finally going to have to try The Forest at the price of €5.94. Especially as I'm craving Survivor/Build games atm.

Also really like the look of Lacuna, currently €10 down from 20.

This War of Mine Final Cut is out today on consoles but is 20 euro with no free update if you own the old version. Also doesn't include the expansions which you have to buy separately for a tenner bundle. No way I'm paying that but it has made me reinstall the PS4 version to see if I can finally make it through the war this time.

The Forest

Lacuna

This War of Mine Final Cut

The Forest excels in multiplayer. Convince a friend to get it.

I'm awful for scheduled shenanigans, I'm more a turn up and see who's on :)

Is it still enjoyable as single player?

It's terrifying in single player! 😃

Play with headphones and don't look up any guides or videos. Go in blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Finished Lake(via gamepass). It sorta reminded me of Telltale games from the PS3/360 era as its fairly limited in terms of presentation, polish and animation with a bit more of an early access feel to it. I played the demo released around E3 last year and the final game feels the same more or less; a lot of shortcuts taken. The gameplay loop essentially is deliver letters & packages by day and help out people you meet in the evenings with fairly mundane tasks. Voice acting and soundtrack is good for the clearly limited budget. Kept expecting some kind of twist that never came in the 6 or so hours it lasts.

Worth a play on Gamepass but as a purchase I'd say wait for a nice price drop as while there is a few endings its not a game you'd be itching to replay after rolling the credits.

• Advertisement

Playing Last Stop (gamepass) at the minute and about half way through and loving it !!!!! It's by the team that made Virginia and it also plays like a TellTale with the padding and fake choice taken out and has decent story and quality voice acting. When I say there is no padding I mean it!!!!!! It plays like it's on rails pretty much and every conversation has meaning. Highlight so far is the Yakuza inspired piano bit QTE with John and Jack.

It's 3 stories that interweave a bit and after each chapter you pick which chapter of the 3 main characters you want to play next.

That's another one on my list, sounded interesting when i read about it at launch but gonna wait for a sale. I have Virginia but never played it, another one in my backlog.

I swear, the money i spent on Indies, i could have gotten a series s and gamepass to play them on that instead.

I just rolled credits on this, what ever this outfit make next I'll buy. It's not perfect but the stones on them for doing that ending chapter and it not being shite!!!!

I'd actually love to see what they could do with mega bucks budgets as what they did here was tight and terms of both production and writing and delivery.

Last Stop is on my list alright, good to hear the feedback? Did you play their other game Virginia? I got it but never played it, gonna install it to give a go, i read it's just 2 hours long which suits me grand currently.

Yeah Virginia is an experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Howok

How many great games,WOW!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Road 96 has gone on my 'to buy' list.

Played through Virginia last night start to finish, about 2 hours. It's erm weird, but certainly a good kind of weird. Definite Twin Peaks vibes. In several ways I'm not sure what exactly I played, but it was hell of intriguing throughout. One I may be tempted for a 2nd run through (altho would be missing some of the mystery then). Well worth a couple of hours playtime folks

Meanwhile I sacked off Trek to Yomi after 4 of 7 chapters. Feels like such a missed opportunity fir what could game been a classic, the world, artstyle & story were top notch for an indie. But the combat becomes more tiresome as you progress, and more than anything fairly random whether you get through a checkpoint unscathed or need several attempts, so much so the fun was sucked out if it. Which kinda sucks

Yeah Yomi got old fast.

Went back to Inscryption after previously failing to get past the first act. Using some guides, I finally got past it. I'm not a huge fan of card games but I absolutely love all the other Daniel Mullins games. Please check them out if you haven't already. He does all sorts of meta stuff. Multiple genre's in one game. Breaks so many fourth walls that you're breaking out of a hexadecagon.

• Advertisement

Just finished Citizen Sleeper. Didn't think it could be as good as Norco but it's possibly better, I'm not sure. Definitely both great games and now my new favourite genre....whatever that is! Visual Novels? Now, what next...mmmm.

Citizen Sleeper and Norco both look really interesting, hopefully will make it to PS one day.

Well this looks delightful. Like a mix of Moana and a friendly Subnautica. Made by the devs who have yet to release nightmare fuel Scorn, Tchia is set to release early 2023.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's like they went out of their way to make the complete polar opposite to Scorn.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

New game from Ladybug just released om Steam:

Ladybug have been making some of the best doujin Metroidvanias for years before going legit and I'll be insterested in seeing how a shmup pans out. Already looks great in video. I've bought it so will report back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So had a quick go of the first stage and basically Drainus seems to be utterly fantastic. The 2D is gorgeous and even that first stage had some insane set pieces. The drain mechanic works really well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Schmups are a good genre that look like I'd have lots of fun with, but would also be too chicken for the bullet hell too.

I'm currently playing Super Hot, which is a few years old at this stage. It's such an addictive game. It's more fun than it has any right to be.

Pfft, that game Retr0 alluded to above is nowhere near bullety enough to be classed as bullet hell ;)

A bullet hell game has to be a glorious cascade of bullet patterns and boast an equally overwhelming scoring mechanic to fit the bill. Cave games ftw - there are few better feelings in gaming than using some very particular mechanic to clear a screen of purple bullets and score tens of millions of points at once.

And Returnal is one of the few 3D games that gets at least some of what makes the particular subgenre tick - some of the neon, gloriously HDR-friendly bullet patterns that game has are incredible.

It looks deceptively like a bullet hell game but it isn't. The drain feature means you actively seek out large bullet patterns to absorb them and it's very generous on this regard.

There's a lot of bullets on screen but you can absorb them.

It's much closer to gradius or Darius with more varied attack patterns than filling the screen with bullets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement