Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Dublin been completely over run with on street brothels?

• 09-05-2022 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

For shame, my dudes (referring to Dublin city council).

Between the complete lack of policing (or their resolute adherence to turning a blind eye to the rampant trash/chav infestation), the moving dry-house that is the Luas, and now I can't even get my traps and deltoids rubbed down without being told, "minimum price is 80 euro, happy ending included, compulsorily".

Check them out on google maps, some places are labelled "erotic massage parlor"; I assure you, there's nothing "erotic" about them.

They vary between "sleaze rub and tug" joints (as far as I can tell, many of them have abandoned the "rub" completely, and focus almost exclusively on the "tug"), or straight up brothels - no shame, not even an attempt at concealment.

Now I know what you're thinking, and let me say that, Hell No.

First off, I don't need to pay for it.

Secondly, it's quite simply a bummer seeing Dublin City go from bad to worse, it seems like every time I go for a wander around the city center we're one step closer to Robert DeNiro's Taxi Driver, New York style urban ethos.

It's depressing.

I know there was uproar from the locals on Dorset St a few years in the past and a couple premises were condemned, but then about 4 more popped up in other locations around the city.

Basically what I'm saying is, the city council seem to have thrown in the towel completely in the fight against Dublin city becoming the sleaze central of western Europe.

Cliff notes:

• Legit massage parlors where athletic advocates such as myself can get a professional treatment = good.
    • Open street brothels and sleaze joints masquerading as "massage parlors" = bad, mmmkay.

In physics we trust....

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Yes, your post is in no way hysterical rubbish.

I work in the city and unfortunately the brothels have even taken over the office. Now we all have to give aul fellas hand jobs during the morning meetings.

Still, it's a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Hello OP, I work for the uh.. City Council

Where would a respectable employee of the state such as myself find one of these on-street brothels? For legal enforcement reasons of course

• Registered Users Posts: 34,277 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As someone who lives and works in Dublin city, I don't see any of these brothels on a daily basis at all.

You might need to stop hanging around dodgy areas, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,059 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You seem tense and uptight OP. a handjob might relax you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Write to the city council manager and complain.

Ger Gough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

There's a city in Thailand called "Pattaya".

It was south-east Asia's R&R location during conflicts in that region so comtemporarily operates in much the same fashion.

i.e. sleaze central.

A significant chain of the "massage parlors" around Dublin are labelled with the same name (as they're all under the one ownership).

So Pattaya, and google is your partner in crime.

The irony is that, at a young age I was visiting Pattaya for a different reason, and that's where, as a country Irish boy, I discovered the benefits of legitimate massage for the first time.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭enricoh

There's taking one for the team but this is another level stuff- fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭oceanman

brothels have been around since humans first walked the earth, they are here to stay and if you think of it they just provide a service like any other business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Same. Now, I will admit to being of the female persuasion and someone who goes to the physio rather than a masseuse if my running injury flares up, but I do work in the city centre and have yet to trip over one of these many dens of iniquity that seem to be everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

How much for a gob job? Just wondering h how much to charge.

Every bully post gets reported. If personal bullying is the best way you can feel good about yourself, then your self-loathing is your own loss.

• Advertisement

seems easy enough to find a physio sports massage without optional/mandatory extras tbh

As far as I know, the others are owned and operated by Chinese, Brazilian and Cypriot crime organizations.

In physics we trust....

The last "sports physio" I went to (who had a degree in physio framed in the reception area) got on the phone to some potential customer half way through our appointment, openly discussing her offer to shave his testicles.

Needless to say, I didn't go back.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Quitelife

To be fair there does seem to be a huge amount of thai massage premises in Dublin city.

A couple of fast food joints,a Spar etc, a bookies and a thai massage spot seem to be standard on most streets these days .

anybody else read this and think of the famous line used in Sunday World articles of old when they investigated brothels and massage parlous? "Needless to say I made my excuses and left".

I have to ask, whats the OP's real agenda here. Dublin City Centre has been over run with:

-Visible open air drug dealing

-Tents belonging to homeless people seem to be everywhere now

-Petty crime

-Seagulls

-Litter

-Finally, a large cohort of people who don't give a sh1te about anything

Ive made this point before, but the "Save Dublin" brigade or whatever they are called forced Ann Summers off O'Connell street because they thought it brought down the tone of the street, when actually, it's shop front was the classiest one on the street, amid a back drop of McDonalds, Burger King and Mr Quirky's One Armed Bandit Emporium.

So, I have to ask, how or why did the OP focus on massage parlours and manage to ignore the things in the above list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Is that not just whataboutary?

Perhaps we need a thread that focus on each topic?

Not really sure what you can do about Seagull in a costal city.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

First you say whataboutery, and then only select seagulls from my list. However, go to a clean city on the coast and the seagull population drops dramatically.

Decent observation.

Inadvertently you've bolstered my argument as you're condemning trash culture and promoting class.

I am a long time connoisseur of massage and I'm merely reflecting your sentiments.

i.e. Dublin is promoting trash and oppressing class.

And I'm wondering is that a function of Irish culture, merely exemplified in Dublin.

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Not seen them, worst I've seen human exploitation wise is gangmasters running begging rings from Moore Street, daily occurance in the open.

how exactly is dublin promoting these brothels?

You have not seen them because the places the OP is talking about are subdued and discreet places. I've seen them, I know the places he is talking about, but to be honest, you will get them in most capital cities. Some are ran by the mob, some are independent. As I said earlier, of all the problems Dublin has, this should be far down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

Dublin was always fairly rough around the edges though. I mean, I remember being at the Jervis Luas stop and there was a guy chasing someone around with a crowbar in the middle of the afternoon. I've also had to step around people passed out on the street around there. Obviously I called the Gardai about it, and didn't just leave them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

I worked all over Dublin since 1979, and I can tell ye that there were basements, parlours, brothels, “massage” parlours all over the small streets and sone of the tacky ends of the big streets , with notices in upstairs windows. Example being Pearse St, where I passed such a place every day walking to work. Gardiner St, Mountjoy Square, all sorts of places, from the 1980s onwards.

However my first introduction to displays of colourful dildos in shop windows was in likes of Copenhagen, Cologne etc in early 1980s, and these were not quite the back streets. Contraception wasn’t even legal in Ireland back in my young days.

Forever as I’ve known it since my working life, O’Connell St has been the tackiest Main Street of any city I have visited, apart from Younge Street in Toronto, which, in my memory, has something of the same vibe and is close to where “business” was done.

Every bully post gets reported. If personal bullying is the best way you can feel good about yourself, then your self-loathing is your own loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Oh "Take me up to Monto, Monto, Monto

Take her up to Monto, lan-ge- roo,

To you!".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I had to go into the citry center recently for the first time in ages.

I didnt see any brothels but i saw enough to make me want to avoid it for ever more. Please god dont let my company bring back wfo.

I used to live in the city center and have never seen it in such a sh!te hole and anti-social state that it is now. Cant believe whats happened to it.

But I didnt see any nrothels it has to be said :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Tech_Head

Looks like the first Jack Reacher

Advertisement