Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ozark [Netflix] (***SPOILERS***)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭jj880

Interesting take on the ending.

Even if I liked this ending and its meaning the execution of it was pants. If you are going to leave an ending even a little bit open ended or not show who gets / doesn't get what they deserve it better be good. This felt like they ran out of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

It had to look like Omar tried a hit and run escape, that's also why he gave Omar the gun before telling him to run - so his prints would be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Why would the FBI allow a police officer be shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The Byrdes never directly killed anyone. Why would Mel think they would start with him? I don't see anything wrong with that scene

It was nothing to do with the FBI, his sister was behind it no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Have to say i liked the ending, obviously the show is far fetched in many respects but I'm pleased there wasn't a big pay off where they get their just deserts, that would have been too easy. At the end of the day, Wendy and Marty have never been anything but self serving scumbags that stepped on anyone who they considered expendable.

This isn't a happy ending, Ruth was about the only one throughout the show that had a good heart and she ends up getting screwed over, just like everyone that has dealings with the Byrdes.

It was a brave move ending like that imo as people can't handle an ambiguous / "bad" ending.

Ruth wasn't screwed over. She sealed her faith in Shaws office. She was warned over and over not to do it yet she did it anyway knowing full well what the outcome would be

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

But the FBI facilitated it by telling her when ans where he was being transported. I assume they also allowed her to plant her own person on the transport crew.

Yes, and I doubt they gave a second thought as to how it might go down, they were only in it for the cash-back. Some random security van driver wasn't going to concern them, he can be made to look a hero, dying in the line of duty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I dunno, While on first viewing I wasnt impressed majorly with the ending, I think what they were going for is to point out the corruption in the whole system, and how those with enough money can escape consequences, and ultimately, any collateral damage along the way is nothing to them, even Ruth, who I would have thought untouchable was cast aside without much musing when their back was to the wall.

Laura Linney as Wendy bird was excellent though, I cant remember ever rooting so hard for a female lead to get killed, but alas, it was not to be. I thought her scene outside the courthouse with her father was very good, when she begged him to leave the kids with her, she turned on the tears on command and then reverted to venom again as soon as she wasn't getting her way.

I like Jason Bateman, but his whole emotionally detatched schtick kinda wore thin for me by the end. Why anyone would stick with a tramp like Wendy is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Finally finished, and about time. Very good show, but really needed to wrap up. Only so much more I could take of Ruth and Wendy

Anyone else really think that it was Camilla that ended up dead at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Class show, superb acting all round. Sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

How are you coming to that conclusion? Ruth was obviously dead at the end, as was Omar, so who was left to kill her?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Gusser09

They've obviously left it open for another season or even a prequel.

No. I meant that she would be killed. I didn’t mean Camilla dead. I had a feeling she’d be killed, not Ruth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Funnily enough, I had thought that it was going to go a much darker route, and have the cartel Kill ruth, but have the Byrd kids caught in the crossfire as well.

Would have certainly been a punishing ending.

What was the point/significance of showing crash scene in first episode of part 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I really enjoyed listening to Bateman on this podcast. Well worth it, although he must have been sitting in a wooden with sh1t acoustics during the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

i think it was meant to be a flash forward to show them appearing to get away from the cartel and fbi etc

well that was my take on it

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

Surviving the car crash brought the Byrd family closer together again. Had there been no near death accident, it wouldn't have made sense for the boy to blow off the shotgun.

Post edited by BruteStock on

i think wendy being honest in the hospital is what brought them close together

be funny if jonah blasted wendy away on the black screen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Right up to the end I had a inkling that Ben was alive, commited in a hospital somewhere sedated.

Same here, as he was getting a little too much mentioning.

Post edited by walshb on

I thought they humanised Wendy at the end after making her the most unlikeable character up to that point. Especially as she was definitely torn up knowing that Ruth was going to die and there was nothing they could do to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I reckon Covid had a huge impact on the final season and ending.

Great show until the last hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aedanknight

Was there any significance or Ruth listening to the rap music and then speaking to the rapper in the diner? was there a reason or point to this, I didn't understand that.

Ruth quite often listens to hip hop and that was a cameo by killer mike

more detailed info on the google machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

The FBI arranged for Two men in a Hiace to transport the leader of one of the worlds biggest drug cartels and then told the acting leader the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

I found the show entertaining but I would class it as more of a Fantasy show than a Drama or crime show. The situations and escapes are so far removed for how the real world works that it was hard to get invested in any situation as you knew that some magic want would be pulled out of the bag to save the day. The fixer guy seems to be able to get any politicians he wants to do anything to resolve major crisis but this happens off screen so we have to accept he did it. The crisis with the grandfather and the kids is resolved off screen as is the crisis with Frank Jr.

So much is out of sync with the real world - In a rural areas of gun toting USA no one dealing with a major drug cartel seemed to have any concern for the safety of themselves or their property, no security systems, cameras or gates in most places. The mob refuse to kill anyone. A Mexican cartel let a white guy arrive down and kill a top lieutenant. The head of a cartel is transferred by two guards in a van. No cars or people have GPS tracking. The sheriff doesn't tell anyone where he is going when out on calls. Nelson tries to kill Ruth but afterwards she doen't worry about who ordered it. Brilliant cop Mel steals evidence then hangs around in the dark on their property where he can legally be shot by the kid he has seen threaten to shoot a person with a shotgun.

The show is TV on a par with a marvel movie - entertaining & well produced but not to be taken seriously - the problem is you get the impression the writers actually want it to be taken seriously.

Many Americans have a quasi rasist view of those who live away for the coasts or Chicago and I feel that this show was made to pander to those people as all the locals and mexicans are so easily manipulated by the smart family from Chicago.

Advertisement