Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

parkrun, lap two

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Read today that parkrun in Russia has been suspended.

Suspension of events in Russia

Not before time in my personal opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They have even gone as far as effectively turning off the parkrun Russia website as it now just has a plain holding page saying that it's suspended. Presumably so nobody can accuse them of still operating for people who don't understand the parkrun setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭simonw

Has anyone run Navan parkrun? would it be ok for a running buggy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭positron

I've done it many years ago, and it should be totally fine with a buggy. It's all paved I think, but I recall some parts of it was more like gravel, just poor quality surface. 3 laps of a loop around the park.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got dragged round to an all time best for me this morning, can't really call it a PB though as the dog was doing most of the work.

16:60 aka 17:00

One less puddle stopped at and would have got that second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Has anyone done a parkrun in Treviso or Farfalle? Heading to Venice in a couple of weeks and am just wondering which one is best or just easier to navigate to?.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Sadly the 30 minute runner will be handy when I run my first parkrun in 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Will you have access to a car? According to google maps direction thingy Farfalle seems to be better served by public transport with Venice to Farfalle taking between 45 min to an hour but Venice to Treviso taking 1.5 hours.

By car they are very similar at approx 30 minutes. I've no idea which is nicer but it's Italy so you can't go too far wrong. Maybe check their photos on FB to see which looks nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Neither seem to be thriving - Farfelle averaging around 20 people and Treviso a little less. Not sure I'd be too bothered to be honest unless I was staying right beside one of them.

• Advertisement

Two weeks ago I missed out on my sub 17 aspirations with the dog by 1 second. This week, zero running, back and forth to hospital in early hours for Mrs robinph in for emergency surgery, dog barely left the house all week compared to normal as couldn't leave the kid alone at home.

But then today on our final opportunity to officially canicross at parkrun we were obviously feeling a bit eager to run and absolutely smashed the time target with a 16:28, about 2 minutes quicker than I could currently do solo. Then spotted on Strava that I also claimed a KOM segment which was previously held by a world champion canicross runner who does 12 minutes around some courses with his dog. :D

I wonder does anyone know what age grade calculator parkrun uses?

Or else how can you determine what time you need to get in order to reach a certain age grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

"Run grader" app on Android is pretty close to my efforts 0.03% out

It's an old version of the WAVA tables that parkrun then messed about with a bit but refused to say how.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You can work it out yourself with a calculator.

Take your most recent parkrun time and multiply it by the age grade given (expressed as a decimal) and you have the 100% time for your age grade. Then divide this figure by the required age grade to find your target.

My own example:

35:29 -> age grade 45.61% (age 61) -> 35:29 * .4561 = 16:11 (100% for age 61)

If I want to run 60%: 16:11/0.6 = 26:58 approx

@Pherekydes

I'm a little embarrassed I didn't think of that method myself 🙈

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

http://www.howardgrubb.co.uk/athletics/wmalookup15.html has all the bells and whistles, if you play around with it. What grade are you trying to reach?

Thanks!

Trying to hit 70%. 69.57 is as close as I've gotten about 3 years ago. At least the handy thing with ageing is that the target gets closer 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The barking dog at Marley parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

Does anyone know of the nearest Parkrun to Belfast Train Station, coming from Dublin?. Or alternatively near Jury's Inn? Nothing booked yet but would like to.

Thanks

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Ormeau is the probably the nearest one to the city centre, nice park, pretty flat and quite well attended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Yup I have walked from Jury's to Ormeau. Very nice route too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Hey folks, just wondering if the barcode has to be printed or if an image on a phone would scan?

(I don't have access to a printer)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, I've scanned phone images. The barcode can be stored on some watches, if you've a Garmin. https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/e7b70c06-9d4c-4efd-865b-2b8bdad9f17c You can also order wristbands from parkrun.

There are also some apps which will generate the barcode on your phone for you, one of which is called Running Achievements. You can also save multiple family members runner ids so you are covered if anyone forgets their wristband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Cheers for the responses, will give it a bash. No hassle if it doesnt work anyway, just thought it might save me the trouble of finding printer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

South Boulder, Colorado.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Had the privilege of visiting progression today. What a fantastic welcome we received from everyone. They were very appreciative of having visitors again. If you get the chance to go, do it. You won't regret it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is that the prison one? I was scheduled to do it 3 weeks after the lockdown started so that was obviously knocked on the head. When did you apply for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Yes, it is the prison one. I'd been due to do it the week that the lockdown started. I emailed them a few weeks ago to see if I was still on the list and they offered me a place for today, last week was the first event with visitors. AFAIK, the previous waiting list was scrapped, so you'd need to apply again.

Advertisement