Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cockroach? Does Ireland have cockroaches?

• 01-05-2022 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

I went to the sink to get a drink of water from the tap and there was a cockroach looking creature in the sink. I went to look for a tub to trap it and it had wings and it started to fly but I managed to trap it.

It was a massive and disgusting creature that I wasn't expecting to see. We are not in the middle of summer yet and we didn't have any big heatwave. I would expect some insects maybe during a heatwave or in the middle of summer but now. It's still early in the year.

Does Ireland have cockroaches?

Horrid thing to see late at night. Or any time of the day for that matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not very common in the home, mostly imported with wholesale foods and then escape in to the environment.

Annually you would see reports of cockroaches found in food premises shut down by HSE inspections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭glitterIsland

It's on its back, struggling upside down

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭glitterIsland

It turned around onto its legs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Very commonly reported in apartment blocks, mainly the German cockroach. You can find reports online from mid 2000s onwards. Mainly though to come in from food stuffs and forigen travel.

A zoology lecturer I know has a number of them and other insect species in captivity. The cockroaches were caught in their son's apartment in Galway. He often jokes that when he kicks the bucket that who ever finds his body is going to be more freaked out by his collection of weird insects.

I’ve only ever seen a cockroach once. Was staying in the Boston Park Plaza Hotel, woke up in the middle of the night, went to the toilet and there was a cockroach in the bathroom.

Rang reception and got moved to another room.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Who got moved to another room? You or the cockroach ?

Me. Unless he hitched a lift in my luggage unbeknownst to me, in which case both.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭vafankillar

it's called a cockchafer, type of flying beetle, came across one a few years ago in work, thought we had imported it from africa or something, never saw or heard about anything like that before in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

This is something I've wondered about. I've never seen one or met anyone who has. Ireland probably hasn't got the climate for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, and this is the time of year for it - a maybug.

also, i have seen cockroaches in ireland, in the main palm house in the botanic gardens; they arrived in on plants from abroad and because of the climate in the palm house, were doing just fine there. i heard there was an attempt to eradicate them but not sure how successful it was - it's not easy to get into the palm house in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Plenty of food closure orders here complain of cockroaches, I remember reading O Brien's in Stephens Green shopping centre was shut down by FSAI due to an infestation of them apparently...

Usually much smaller here than the ones in the likes of Spain etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭apache

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and here...

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Repulsive things, I have no issues with a large beetle, it just plods along, but the way cockroaches skitter along quickly .... disgusting..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

what's that old adage about them - if there was a nuclear explosion the cockroaches are the only things that would survive😶

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That statement is true if fallout 3 is anything to go by

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've never seen one, there are some large beetles here though that people can mistake for cockroaches e.g.

If there are cockroaches here I'd assume they are small ones and present in a limited number of warm, congegrated settings. I doubt you'll find cockroaches in an average Irish house.

• Advertisement

they're more prevalent in the east esp in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Plenty of them inhabit boards.ie

Often come out when their political party of choice (which shall remain nameless) appears in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

cockchafer?

That is what we used to call your sister before she had the braces removed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Here’s Charles Bukowski’s take:

Cockroach

the cockroach crouched

against the tile

while I was pissing and as

I turned my head

he hauled his butt

into a crack.

I got the can and sprayed

and sprayed and sprayed

and finally the roach came out

and gave me a very dirty look.

then he fell down into

the bathtub and I watched

him dying

with a subtle pleasure

because I paid rent

and he didn't.

I picked him up with

some greenblue toilet

paper and flushed him

away. that's all there

was to that, except

around Hollywood and

Western we have to

keep doing it.

they say some day that

tribe is going to

inherit the earth

but we're going to

make them wait a

few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Saw a Cockroach on RTE the other evening

Think Paul Murphy was the name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

In ye oldene dayse about 50 years ago mainly around Grafton Street in restaurants they were everywhere. We called the "Steam Flies". You would really only notice them in the kitchens if you turned on the light after it being dark for a long time. I used to spray fly spray over the big refrigeration unit and a mass of them would crawl out and cover the ceiling. They love warm moist places and prefer the dark. Only recently I found out they were also called the German Coackroach. You never seen them in houses, well I never did anyway only in hotels and restaurants. Now in the stores that's where they also love to hide. Remove a box and there they were. We used to get the place fumigated regularly but they always came back. I never got bitten, I don't think they do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Quite a few hanging around this site

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Joking aside, yes that is a maybug. Big, stupid things, and appalling at flying. They just crash into everything. Not overly common, but can be shocking because they are as big as a bumble bee and will blindly fly straight into you. Harmless though.

Had a group in my old apartment complex who brought in cockroaches - they got sacks of rice brought in. Through some miracle, even though I saw one cockroach (and promptly dispatched him) they didn't take hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Senature

Must be seasonal? I saw one of these on my garden path this morning, looked like a cockroach to me but my other half informed me it was indeed a Maybug. The clue is in the name I suppose...

Advertisement