Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cockroach? Does Ireland have cockroaches?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It's an old wives tale. Plenty of physics types have done experiments where they irradiated colonies of cockroaches with gamma rays, which would be emitted from the fallout of a nuclear strike and they died in short order, just like everything else.

But yes, there are cockroaches in Ireland, on a small scale. Could be worse, we don't have cicadas or murder hornets. Those f*ckers are scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Hate them. A friend of mine from Argentina said there is a saying there that roughly translates to something like "Men are manly men until a cockroach flies". I thought that was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Anywhere where it's constantly warm. Apartment buildings and large kitchens. They love grease seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭holliehobbie

When I was a student nurse many moons ago there was an infestation of the buggers. I won’t say where though in case anyone is squeamish.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Goodigal

Plenty of cockroaches in the premises I inspected in Dublin in the last few years. You tap the fridge or freezer motor and the lads drop onto the floor from their lovely warm habitat. Not a very pleasant thing to see!! But I never saw one flying which is a relief because I would have been screeching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you're a health inspector?? any horror stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Captain Barnacles

Doesn't look like a cockroach. I used to live in a place where flying cockroaches were common enough... they are misnamed though and should be called 'Tumbling Inelegantly To The Ground While Flailing Around Stupidly Cockroaches'

Small creatures with the ability to adapt quickly to their changing environment is essentially where that story originated from - assuming there will be pockets of less infected areas post nuclear holocaust, the smaller the animal - cock roaches , ants etc- the better the chances of adapting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

They certainly are in Ireland, though perhaps not so much in the wild. Over a decade ago my partner and I rented an apartment in the New Hardwick on Church Street Upper in Dublin. Not long after moving in we discovered little cockroaches in the kitchen. You'd sit in the living room in the evening and see them moving across the living room floor.

It was an uphill battle to contact the letting agency/landlord to get it sorted. Eventually the pest agency OWL came into the building on a number of occasions to treat it. I got speaking to one of the chaps and he said they were Asian coackroaches and that the building was infested with them, saying that they were in the pipes and once there, you'd never get them out.

The woman who lived in the apartment opposite us had a much worse time and moved out long before we did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yikes! sounds like a horror story😯

• Registered Users Posts: 15,745 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Something something...the Dail. How unexpectedly witty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 barneyridg

You are so correct he is a cockroach 🪳 of the highest..- he is actually part of the s**m in RTE - Prime Time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Used to be Beetles about when I was young. Haven't seen one since forever though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My toes literally curled up when I saw this...

Many more in deep rural too. Although I very rarely see any " creepy crawlies" in the house... The cats do a great job. If it moves...

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Is OliverShultz on crack?? Drags up an old thread to recommend a pest control company in the UK who will never be of any use to the 99% of Boards user's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terrier2023

That is why the Aussies are soo hard on importing seeds and foods to their country as the eggs of insects can be lodged in food stuffs. I worked in food industry importing and often there were exotic ghekkos and lizards that came in in fruit & vegetable boxes you always had to contact dept of agriculture to collect and deal with them. So our need to eat soft fruits etc all year round increases the critters that get into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Some cockarouch of a main just asked if I remembered polly pocket. Virgin Media ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CopperFaceZachs

Female cockroaches can fly and there are also transparent cockroaches that live underground, never seen the light of day! and yes, Ireland has cockroaches lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It's a bot that is trying to increase search engine performance by peppering backings to site, on what is supposed to be a relevant discussion. Very sneaky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I had one last night. The cat went bonkers chasing it until I put it outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I've only heard of them being here when they close restaurants and take aways on public health reasons,

Then again I never seen silverfish till I seen huge ones in an apartment recently

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I copied the bugs guy from TCD and created a cockroach bin in my house. If they "bug" you then you probably do not want to see this - but he tweeted out a video of him inserting his hand into this bin and one of the roaches crawling up his arm. Great stuff to put on my herb and veg garden though. The noise when you add food to the bin is great :) Sound up for the tweet!

I posted this on another thread just now and it fits here too. Includes a discussion of cockroach burgers. He also made a podcast partially about Cockroaches which was a good listen:

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Plenty of them in the Guinness Storehouse, turn on the lights and they all go running. Rumour has it that the st. James gate was built to stop them from getting out

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

This is what the OP was finding. Harmless creature. Comes out for a couple of weeks around now - hence the name.

I think they are wonderful. Beautiful antennae.

Cockchafer or Maybug as many above have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When I read that first time I understood you said they moved it to another room.

Advertisement