Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EV cost comparison to ICE traditional cars

• 28-04-2022 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Anyone ever used a tool similar to this fuel cost comparison calculator online?

very interesting. I don’t do massive miles, maybe 8,000 miles per year. (13,000 km) but that could go up to 15-20K miles soon for work in Dublin from Mid Ulster .

i expected more savings to be quite honest and I’m disappointed.

the EV in question was a new Hyundai Ioniq 5, the 58KW version (although I probably need the 73/77KW version?)

vs a 2014 Peugeot 308 active hdi

the savings wouldn’t be enough to make me change unless you do big miles. Makes you wonder, for people doing very low city / village miles- apart from the environmental impact, they probably aren’t saving you a whole pile at all providing you already have a car that’s cheap to run.

my electric unit rate in ulster is 22pence per Kw, diesel was put in at £1.70 per litre which is on the high side to cover increase, that’s about €2 per litre

as has been pointed out on here - a night saver meter is something I should definitely ask to get installed by Power NI / SSE. I see from a quick Google search there are EV night saver off peak rates

220 mile return trip from here to Dublin would cost £14 of electric in the brand new Hyundai, and £28 in the Peugeot in diesel. That’s a round trip driving to the office one day per week.

the Hyundai costs £40K roughly brand new, before you look for a charger and get setup at home properly.

The Peugeot costs me nothing at the moment as I own it, and is worth maybe £4.5K.

Over a year if I Spend £1500 on diesel , the EV will cost £750 on electric.

the ROI for the EV would take quite a number of years to justify the saving of no diesel.

Hardly a lot to get excited about. Just an observation I was shocked about. Not on to slate EVs. Obviously ICE cars need servicing and have more parts.

id love to be corrected or any flaws in these calculators pointed out to me by people on here a lot more knowledgable than I am on the topic.

Believe me I’d love to be convinced to switch over. But at the above I wouldn’t be rushing to my local dealer to order one for 2023 and pay big money every month to finance the EV.

I’ll admit the Peugeot is also quite an economic diesel, hard to get much better mpg.

Post edited by Fiyatoe on

Comments

Advertisement