Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Channels [NO DISCUSSION -NAME / FREQUENCY/ LCN / LAUNCH DATE ONLY]

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Possibly the post-Brexit EU license issue raring it’s head again rather than rights issues as such. It’s an extra hassle for channels going on the Irish EPG that didn’t exist before and unless they are targeting Ireland either for advertising or subscriptions channels may just not bother in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The idea of those tickers on 'news' channels is to give the perception of something actually happening, rather than to provide actual information. It's largely a ruse, Sky Sport news are great at it - BREAKING NEWS! SECOND CHOICE FULL BACK FOR LEAGUE ONE SIDE CARRYING A KNOCK AND IS DOUBTFUL FOR JOHNSONS PAINT SECOND ROUND GAME NEXT WEDNESDAY,! and the likes

This is an excellent thread, one I use to keep in touch with new channels as they appear and decide to tune them into my box and channel menus or not. The information is very useful.

I don't know how useful though commenting on the actual content is. There is a lot of crap available FTA, but a lot of good stuff too. Where the line between crap and good stuff is very personal one, there is many channels I wouldn't tune into the box in a million years, but some people enjoy them, and I'm sure vice versa.

Each to their own.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The channels owners have not insignificant media holdings in Ireland, they may be pulling headlines from the Irish papers.

Talksport has an Irish opt-out stream with presenters already so I wouldn't be too surprised if they even went as far as to put TalkTV and some of the radio on Saorview in future

Will be interesting to see how GBN alike this channel goes. I suspect slightly less divisive but still fairly right wing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Have to agree. This was a great thread to get a heads up on a new channel but too much discussion on content etc is taking from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

DS has noted in it's Sky Changes thread that Channel 4 HD with Irish adverts is to launch on the Sky Ireland EPG sometime in 2022.

Some other interesting news regarding BBC Two NI HD on Sky & Freesat. A channel with the SID 11015 was carrying EPG data for BBC News HD. It was live on the Sky EPG in the UK, as well as Ireland maybe, for a brief period of time before it went off the EPG again a few days ago. A poster had mentioned on DS that it was for BBC Two.

Also no updates are available yet about BBC Three appearing on the Sky EPG in Ireland. I wonder if this process is being delayed for the Irish market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭stuartfanning

Rupert Murdoch's Talk TV launches on Sky in the UK today at 7PM on channel 526. But it will not be available in the ROI I understand. Wonder why given that GB News is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

TalkTV

Satellite: Astra 2E 28.5°E

System: DVB-S2

Frequency/Polarisation: 11427/V

Symbol Rate: 29500

FEC: 8/9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

Surprisingly slick and professional when compared to GB News. Excellent quality HD also.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Having seen a little bit of it, it's pretty obvious that it is basically Fox News UK with a less toxic name.

The Graphics and presentation are basically Fox News in different clothing, the font, types of camera pan, the lower graphics are different colours, but unmistakably the kind that Fox have always gone for.

Far more professional launch than GB News, but it's clearly a partisan channel.

Yes clearly partisan, but then it probably has to be to gain audience share and differentiate itself from the other news channels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Spot the difference.

The Five - Fox News US

The Talk- TalkTV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭GIMP

Just watched this channel and a thought occurred to me, in a country of 5m people that we don't have at least one decent news channel, uk now has 4. Pity Newstalk wouldn't/couldn't take the initiative to launch a tv channel. Fantasy i know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,812 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dont forget the UK has a population of 67 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭MenloPete

I really think it's time to split this into 'New Channel Announcements' and 'New Channel Discussion' threads.

Can't see that working. If you have an announcement only thread it will be filled with chat anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Just to be clear, if I do that and make it a hard rule, there will be warnings and bans for those who break it. I’d like to see more clearly that there is a problem in having one or two lines of discussion.

Additionally, the Brexit licensing issue now seems to be rareing it’s head big time, I’m not sure if we need a sticky on it, new UK channels are not going to bother about going on the Irish EPG now unless they are selling advertising here or have a particular interest in being here. That said, I think that in not too long a time we are probably going to see more departures than arrivals on the EPG (in general) as the move of basic cable channels to streaming picks up. Watch what happens when Paramount+ launches and how long the Nickelodeon and CBS channels last after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I don't see any particular need to split this thread. After all it's not like there's a huge amount of traffic on it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭MenloPete

I think Chat about the channels coming and going is OK-what annoys me personally is the commenting on content, eg 'who'd watch that rubbish' or the likes.

Couldn't agree more. There's a TV forum for those type of comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,825 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You'd be left scratching your head at who would watch certain channels, but somebody must be... I wonder roughly how much it would cost to get a basic SD channel onto Astra?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

alibi, eden, gold are whats left to go FTA, the rest is a feast of appearing and disappearing transponders.

And has that cost dropped or something recently? The likes of GB News and TalkRadio TV are basically Radio stations in the TV, they will have a certain audience I guess, and they could be backed by some of the folks who backed Brexit and the likes, but you'd still wonder how they can make it pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Can you get BBC3 FTA ?

Yes. Shares location with Cbbc, only switches to bbc3 after 7pm.

Not a channel per se but Paramount+ launches on 22nd June, free to Sky Cinema subscribers, at a price for everyone else (the U.K. price will be £6.99pm, they haven’t announced the ROI price yet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement