Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non contributory pension

• 22-04-2022 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm asking for someone else. They get a non contributory pension. How does the pension office calculate someone as having an income from a farm ,when its shown it's running at a small loss. Farm accounts were sent to them.

Is there some formulae or calculator the pension office use. How would you absolutely show there is no profit from the farm, so as to show theres no means assesible from the farm.

They say it can be appealed and/or additional documentation sent in. At the minute this persons pension is going to be cut.

I'm told the government are doing a lot of audits so as to claim back some of the money spent on pup payments, etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

Not sure but any money held in bank accounts ( savings ) taken into account not just yearly profit/loss

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If you've over €100000 in assets, which is nothing in farmland, you won't qualify for non contributory pension as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mike123123

Limit on savings cap not exceeded. They are maintaining theres a profit from farming , when theres actually not. Farm accounts were submitted showing that.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

Only other thing I can think of is that they may calculate profit differently? ( may not allow certain items ?? depreciation, stock relief )

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mike123123

Farmland not in their name. In other family members.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I don't think they go by farm accounts, I know that subsidies drawn had a big influence in a case I know, ie they wouldn't accept an income less than the subs drawn but there's a lot more to it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

There have been so many different cases where the farmers never submitted tax returns and couldn't get the pension. Then ones that never told Welfare that they owned land so they got the pension which was ok for them until they died. It's at that point the fun starts once the Government find out there was land/assets then they will want all the money repaid.

Last case I heard of was in Co. Clare where a farmer who had no entitlement to a Pension left the land to charity but by the time the Government got their money back the Charity got nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you look up citizen information website it gives details

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/means_test.html

Basically it places an income on the farm and it up to you to achieve it

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement