Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ukrainian Refugees in Ireland - what you say?

• 21-04-2022 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭

Mate of mine raging about hotels being used to house Ukrainian Refugees in his local town - says there will be less tourists - less spending in the town... and about how he's trying to buy a house and that they will push the prices up? (that I do not get at all???)...

I'm doing my best not to argue with him.. but IMO.. they are fleeing for their lives.. I am actually astonished at his selfishness - but I dare not say that to him obv.. gee..

Are there others who think like him?

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,598 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Your friend maybe wants to do some research before doing hot takes like refugees == no more room

its not as though Irelands tourism industry is operating very under capacity… he’s talking about around 25,000 Ukraine refugees against a hospitality industry that more than has the space available, you’d get more people in town for Garth Brooks

"I'm ragin' Joe, just ragin'. Bloody foreigners coming over here and taking our hotel rooms."

Am I doing it right?

Do we really need another thread on this topic?

To answer your question, yes there are some vocal, poorly educated and travelled folks who would agree with him, typically those with a very narrow scope of life experiences.

Most have no issues with them coming here for the reasons you stated

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its difficult. There are no easy answers to this. Some of his concerns are completely understandable. The tourism industry will struggle hugely if alternative accommodation to hotels isnt found and yes we do have a huge housing crisis. I feel sorry for him (in relation to struggling to buy a house) and can sympathise with him completely however I couldnt agree agree with his choosing to vilify and blame refugees for it all. These people are coming from horrendous circumstances way worse than his. The housing crisis has been all the governments fault. The government dont really know what to do about housing refugees. There are no easy answers but villifying a vulnerable minority group only ends up making matters ways worse because your friend will end up blindly blaming refugees for every ill in Irish society. This will then if it is allowed to fester generally will cause huge tensions nationally.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

It appears there is little to no allowance made for people who feel absolutely no animosity to refugees on a personal level, quite the opposite in fact, but who are nonetheless concerned about the wider implications of an unprecedented population transfer with no apparent limits.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I say we help them as practically as possible. However, when you read stuff like TDs saying they don’t want to force people to give up their property you wonder. We should take in as many refugees from Ukraine as we practically can, and if all EU countries did likewise I think there’s enough capacity to help them all. But taking in more than we can practically provide for helps no one.

Unprecedented?

Ireland has taken refugees before, 25k refugees is not unprecedented

Ireland has also rejected refugees before, too, like Jews who were fleeing Nazi Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

There's a lot to be said for another mass.. Sorry., meant thread 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its good we are helping fellow Europeans fleeing a war, at least we know they are genuine unlike the other chancers who show up with made up stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We are a country with national debt of 237 billion as of early this year anyway….it’s costs about 6 billion a year to service that debt.

Now over a couple of months there will be tens of thousands coming here.

yesterday Helen McEntee stated.. “ there will be no cap “..

everybody practically will need and be entitled to housing, medical cards, free transport, etc.

if you have a person from the Ukraine given a medical card, they have even a minor complaint they’re going to be kicking down the door of their GP for a referral, for everything from physiotherapy to procedures… why not, it’s free…

to them it is… while taxpayers who enable the health services are going to be on chronic waiting lists for everything.

Citizens of this country have been and for decades are being thrown head first under a bus. Strap in, this is seriously going to be a rough life.

yes, it must be so inconvenient to have your way of life mildly inconvenienced… 🤔 oh no your GP might have more patients to see for non emergency care? Horror - at least you still have hospitals to speak of

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

had a trip down the country booked, we had 4 rooms in a cheap hotel, and were told they were now cancelled as it became a government nominated hotel for refugees.

Couldn't care in the slightest, it's mostly women and children entering. If Ireland are going to sit on the neutral fence, it's the least we can do.

If you believe its a "population transfer" then that is personal animosity because you are viewing the individual as lesser because of who they are.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Sorry to tell you, leaving refugees aside, more world population = less for everyone. Too much pressure on all sides money/ natural resources/ food. **** getting real already look at how young people can only aspire to own a home compared to their parents. That’s the future we all face, a dog eat dog world.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Hospitals, yeah with chronic waiting lists and departments and services closed due to lack of funding.

no point in having a hospital if you can’t avail of its services. Which will be an even greater challenge now.

here is an emotive photo from Kabul…

“There will be no cap”

This thread has nothing to do with Kabul or Afghanistan.

If Ireland needs additional resources to provide for these refugees I’m confident it can ask the international community and we will respond.

It is a population transfer - there is nothing remotely incorrect in the term unless you are looking extremely hard and if you are looking that hard, you probably have a few issues with strangers yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

At 25k we are now at our capacity and unfortunately we are now going to resort to using an equestrian arena in Millstreet Co Cork so in effect we will have camps which is grand now facing into summer but not in winter.

Rodders o Gormon admitted we are running out of space for them yet he insists we continue to take as many as we can. still believing 200k is a good number, i dont know who supplies his recreational goodies but its seriously bad stuff and effecting the brain & ability to be logical & rational.

The next step will be mandates on the houses who boasted having 5 + bedrooms in the census !! ! Watch this space ........you will own nothing and you will be happy !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,236 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People will have to accept that the high point of public services, workers rights etc has been passed, that's not a good thing.

As always it will fall hardest on the bottom half and the top half where the activists and those screaming about solidarity and empathy tend to be often benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Vlad won't like it, that's all I'm sayin' Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

The hotel in our town hasn't got tourists in years any way. May as well make use of the space.

I didnt say the term is "incorrect" . Its a very ideologically biased term in how it views people. Its dehumanising, treating people as lesser and a threat. So yeah no sorry this whole "no personal animosity" claim is nonsense really when you are labelling people in such a way.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

What?

Populations are composed of people. Large transfers of people create challenges that are indifferent to what the individual people are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Supply was bad before. It will be even worse now.

At a basic level I understand your friends frustration. If you have you own property, don't even bother trying to understand.

At the core of it, we should be able to cater for everyone and we simply won't be able to.

That’s like calling a bombing campaign a fuel transfer. The implication you are pushing is evidently sinister in tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

We will look like good Europeans and property prices and rents will soar further. No wonder they haven't placed a cap on the numbers...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭buried

Come off it. How is what that poster said in any way "sinister in tone"? Just because they don't agree to having a refugee influx into this country with "No limits" on the size of its number? There are serious questions and concerns that need to be asked and addressed here before some inexperienced head the ball such as the likes of Minister McEntee starts coming out with non-sensical and dangerous statements like the one's she blathered out today.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

I'm not looking for a mind reader's opinion, thanks.

I'm posting in plain English. If you don't like or understand the words, tough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement