Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drones: General Chat Thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I posted this in the big Fimi thread but I always forget about this dedicated forum!

My first time using the drone in months so I was pretty pleased with this effort, considering the piloting rustiness! 😅

A few shots from the weekend in various locations around Achill Island, Co. Mayo with the Fimi X8 SE.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

lovely stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 michael345

Was curious about that big modern looking building in Dublin the other day. And to my horror I found that they actually burning unrecyclable rubbish there, so basically it's like a big firepit wrapped when they burn plastics and other stuff releasing tones of fumes. I checked their web page and surprise surprise - there is no data on what pollutants is being released in vicinity of Dublin on a daily basis. They only show temperature readings from the firepit - wow. I'm not saying I'm against this idea entirely - but if you make huge investment in the middle of the city and deal with unrecyclable waste producing toxic and cancerogenic waste - you should show how it's being dealt with - and showing only temperature reading from the oven is absolute joke.

So my idea is to ask the public as I do - if we can send a drone over those fumes with some kind of sensor that takes reading of those fumes, and see if the city is not breathing anything bad - so they can spend more money on rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Your message very uninformed, both about Poolbeg Incinerator and what consumer drones can and can't do. Also, are you completely unaware of Ireland's EPA?

I'm not aware of those things, just want to ask people what they think, I'm not saying it's very dangerous as it's pretty windy most of the time here, plus those chimneys are pretty high but nevertheless they are still burning plastic and other nasty wastes in the middle of the city - legally and they are getting pay for that. I don't know what type of filters would clean those nasty fumes from all the hazardous chemicals. People are being charged four times for the same product - once you buy your plastic, then to get rid of it, three - for the energy it produces when it's being burned, then four time - when you need to cure your disease from the fumes you breathe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

The Poolbeg incinerator has been discussed for decades. Do we really need to re-litigate in a *drone* thread? Incinerators aren't open firepits, and by casting it as such you're just showing how ill-informed you are. It redirects thousands of tons of waste from landfill, and ends up contributing energy to the grid.

Well yes - of course it isn't, if I said so - I exaggerated it to stir the topic a bit, as it's so obvious that it's being done indoors that I did it. I just can't believe that what goes our from the chimneys is even ok but if they have proof I'm wrong I will admit I'm wrong. no pressure I didn't thought it through. And from the legal perspective about the drone idea thing - I don't have a clue also. It is just an idea - get independent body to check what is in those fumes, for the sake of the citizens and they wellbeing:>. About landfill thing - well it's a different topic I think. Just imagine now - if it's polluting fumes ok. You get electric car - you don't pay big tax and get other government incentives, just to discover that the power comes from burning plastic, and it does. Imagine how shortsighted this thinking is. Taxes are being paid now, not later, but the idea that electricity one day is going to be sourced from renewables is being imposed by media, but majority - like 80% is generated from burning fossil fuel, and in case of mentioned Poolberg facilities - from burning it's derivatives. I think decision of building it so close to the city had to do with perspective of not loosing much power via the cables.

Post edited by michael345 on

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Again, what does this have to do with drones? Take yourself off to https://www.boards.ie/categories/climate-change-sustainability-environmental-issues where there's plenty of people who will thank you for your discovery of an incinerator that was first mooted 25 years ago and has been in operation for the last 4.

This has very little to do with drones and we are all aware of the incinerator (we watched the news) rubbish incineration is used widely across europe and is a well understood technology the risks are their remediation are well known.

from a drone point of view it is possible to remove the camera and put a sensor to test the particulate matter they did it with the exhalations from whales so there is your answer, it is possible, so off you go buy a drone buy the appropriate sensor and test it yourself. Get some money together and hire an appropriately qualified drone operator to do it for you and pay for testing. stop clogging up our drone chat thread.

goodbye

yes we should do it as it's public private partnership as described in this article

(ok I can't send links - just got message from the admins here) but you can find i if you type epa poolberg irish times.

- what the hell is the public private meaning, what a blurry article, there was a glitch someone payed 1k or even 14k fine and made someone happy, and now show must go on and everybody is happy?:>. who are we - you are aware of incinerator , ok I know you have eyes and you see the 'state of the art' facility, but for me it's just a random looking massive building that is in private hands and is releasing potentially toxic fumes from burning unwanted rubbish, How the hell people can get tax incentives from using electric cars when it's from burning this stuff, what the heck. And if burning the rubbish is safe cause epa says it why every household can do it with special filters installed, so no need to travel with your fancy car to recycling center and spend your precious time just use it as a electric generator, same as we burn this nasty diesel to hear the houses instead of using geothermal like in or other alternatives.

• Advertisement

was in dunquin during the weekend

fyi

mty drone shot got an "honourable mention" on the photography forum potw

*beams with pride

#notgivinguponthread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

lol Ah its funny because its not my drone!😂

most of this years footage not great but not terrible either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Is it true that if you want to register a home-made drone you have to send it off to Dublin first?

What’s the best way to improve the connectivity to the dji mavic mini 2?

Is it to buy a better dji controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

What issues are you having, as that done should have upto a 10km range?

It’s a mavic mini 2

I find if I send the drone out of visible range that it loses connection

I often have to use the controller indoors as the screen is so hard to see outside

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Anybody know how accurate the Drone spec descriptions are on AliExpress?

This one says its distance is 500m. Seems decent for €34 drone.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004059742387.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.5fc12e0esbTkF2

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Yeah it almost seems too good to be true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

Hi guys. I'm new here. I was hoping to get a dji mini se for Christmas but searching it looks to be out of stock everywhere.

Has it been discontinued does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Took the drone with me on a recent trip to Maldives and got a few decent shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fugded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭silver_sky

IAA has updated the UAS geographic zones there in the past few weeks. Full review of all areas. Worth checking and reviewing where you fly. An area where I flew near Gormanstown is now a no fly zone whereas it was previously depending on activity there on NOTAMs. It's a pity but it is what it is.

Advertisement