Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Drones: General Chat Thread

  • #2
    Registered Users Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭ Doge


    Don't forget to follow the thread!

    Hope the mods are okay with me setting up a general chat thread. It could save a lot of new threads for general drone talk and a is a good place to focus off topic chat. These seem to work well in other sub forums.


    My Mavic Mini came today, bought it for about 262 euro + postage from the Amazon France warehouse as Used - Like New.

    It came factory sealed in the original plastic that covers the box with an Amazon warehouse sticker on the side so I'm absolutely delighted its unused.
    Did an indoor flight with the prop guard on and it's working fine.
    Had problems with the DJI Fly app saying the firmware was up to date but when I went to fly it would say incompatible firmware version. (on the latest app that dropped for the Air 2, the previous version had the same problem).
    So had to get out the laptop and use her DJI Assistant 2 software to refresh the firmware.

    I can get the DJI Care Refresh for €39.

    Is it worth it do you think?

    Cheers!


«13

Comments

  • #2


    Doge wrote: »
    Hope the mods are okay with me setting up a general chat thread. It could save a lot of new threads being created and a is a good place to focus off topic chat. These seem to work well in other sub forums.


    My Mavic Mini came today, bought it for about 262 euro + postage from the Amazon France warehouse as Used - Like New.

    It came factory sealed in the original plastic that covers the box with an Amazon warehouse sticker on the side so I'm absolutely delighted its unused.
    Did an indoor flight with the prop guard on and it's working fine.


    I can get the DJI Care Refresh for €39.

    Is it worth it do you think?

    Cheers!

    For that value drone I'd genuinely say no don't bother. You got a cracking deal and you won't by majorly out of pocket should you have problems. As it's the mini 1 you may find yourself sucked in and wanting to upgrade to the 2 or even air with distance and other bells and whistles on them.


  • #2


    Doge wrote: »
    Hope the mods are okay with me setting up a general chat thread. It could save a lot of new threads for general drone talk and a is a good place to focus off topic chat. These seem to work well in other sub forums.


    My Mavic Mini came today, bought it for about 262 euro + postage from the Amazon France warehouse as Used - Like New.

    It came factory sealed in the original plastic that covers the box with an Amazon warehouse sticker on the side so I'm absolutely delighted its unused.
    Did an indoor flight with the prop guard on and it's working fine.
    Had problems with the DJI Fly app saying the firmware was up to date but when I went to fly it would say incompatible firmware version. (on the latest app that dropped for the Air 2, the previous version had the same problem)

    I can get the DJI Care Refresh for €39.

    Is it worth it do you think?

    Cheers!
    Will refresh work for second hand drones?
    They'll hardly give you a brand new one if you lose the second hand one do they?

    I would say if you've never flown drones before the refresh is worth it.its great piece of mind even though you may never use it.

    But if you have experience maybe leave it.


  • #2


    Will refresh work for second hand drones?
    They'll hardly give you a brand new one if you lose the second hand one do they?

    I would say if you've never flown drones before the refresh is worth it.its great piece of mind even though you may never use it.

    But if you have experience maybe leave it.


    Probably not for second hand ones but since the drone hasn't been activated before I am able to get the refresh.

    I'm new to flying drones besides a Cheerson CX-10 which didn't last very long! :pac:

    I'm leaning on towards getting it, I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon as its just a hobby to me.

    The range and 2.7K camera is fine for my needs.


  • #2


    Doge wrote: »
    Probably not for second hand ones but since the drone hasn't been activated before I am able to get the refresh.

    I'm new to flying drones besides a Cheerson CX-10 which didn't last very long! :pac:

    I'm leaning on towards getting it, I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon as its just a hobby to me.

    The range and 2.7K camera is fine for my needs.

    I think it's worth the 40 but id check out what's covered first. You don't want to go wasting 40 quid.


  • #2


    I think it's worth the 40 but id check out what's covered first. You don't want to go wasting 40 quid.

    You can get a policy from coverdrone.com for ~10 euro more that gives you way better coverage. The big gotcha with the DJI cover is you have to send them back the old drone, so it won't pay out if you lose the drone or it sinks in water (which happens a lot). coverdrone.com will pay out.


  • #2


    For 39 euro its definitely worth it.

    I got my Mavic Mini last may, and 6 weeks ago the SD card got lodged in the unit and I couldn't retrieve it.

    I sent it off for repair, they send you a UPS label, etc.

    The cost for repair was 40 euro, and they then send you back a brand a new sealed unit.


  • #2


    https://imgur.com/a/dyux4hB


    drone fine small chip on one prop :o


  • #2


    sheesh wrote: »
    https://imgur.com/a/dyux4hB


    drone fine small chip on one prop :o

    What happened? Why did it do that?


  • #2


    Doge wrote: »


    My Mavic Mini came today, bought it for about 262 euro + postage from the Amazon France warehouse as Used - Like New.

    thats a good price I bought similar at the start of the year for a 100 more and thought it was a good price for a starter drone they are good craic.

    There is a section in the dji fly app that checks firmware you can be connected to the drone and the home wifi it will update I think.


  • #2


    What happened? Why did it do that?

    I thought that it was due to to the controller losing connection.

    But looking at it now It appears I flew straight and level into the ground! the road appears to be a bit steeper than I thought.


    Yep, I did that


  • #2


    sheesh wrote: »
    I thought that it was due to to the controller losing connection.

    But looking at it now It appears I flew straight and level into the ground! the road appears to be a bit steeper than I thought.


    Yep, I did that

    Oh sorry to hear that. Glad it wasn't too badly damaged.


  • #2


    Oh sorry to hear that. Glad it wasn't too badly damaged.

    relieved alright part of the learning process. lucky to get away with it.


  • #2


    sheesh wrote: »
    thats a good price I bought similar at the start of the year for a 100 more and thought it was a good price for a starter drone they are good craic.

    There is a section in the dji fly app that checks firmware you can be connected to the drone and the home wifi it will update I think.

    I was trying to update it like how you said alright but the app kept saying that the firmware version was current!

    Im not sure if connecting it to the laptop either updated the firmware or just reflashed it but thats how i got it working in the end.


    Pretty bad conditions lately for drones, I've yet to fly mine outside! :pac:


  • #2


    Doge wrote: »
    I was trying to update it like how you said alright but the app kept saying that the firmware version was current!

    Im not sure if connecting it to the laptop either updated the firmware or just reflashed it but thats how i got it working in the end.


    Pretty bad conditions lately for drones, I've yet to fly mine outside! :pac:

    yep not drone weather at all at the moment! I got out last week and got a couple of nice ones when it was not too windy.


  • #2


    I have a DJI Air 2S on the way! Anyone have an idea what kind of money would coverdrone.com charge for a unit like this? i'm not overawed by the DJI Care Refresh offering.


  • #2


    Fionn wrote: »
    I have a DJI Air 2S on the way! Anyone have an idea what kind of money would coverdrone.com charge for a unit like this? i'm not overawed by the DJI Care Refresh offering.
    It’s usually approx. 10% of the value of the drone.


  • #2


    IAA are reviewing the 15m height limit in Dublin:

    https://www.iaa.ie/news/2021/04/21/iaa-launches-consultation-on-rules-for-drones-uas-in-the-dublin-area

    Proposed changes:

    1. The proposed changes will ease UAS restrictions in the Dublin area while maintaining protection for airports, air corridors and sensitive state infrastructure, e.g. hospitals and prisons.

    2. Drones in the Dublin UAS geographical zone are currently restricted to a height of 15m (50 ft). The proposed changes will introduce graduated limits (depending on location) up to a maximum of 100 metres without special permission from the IAA.

    3. Different options are put forward for consideration in the consultation document.


  • #2


    Cerdito wrote: »
    IAA are reviewing the 15m height limit in Dublin:

    https://www.iaa.ie/news/2021/04/21/iaa-launches-consultation-on-rules-for-drones-uas-in-the-dublin-area

    Proposed changes:

    1. The proposed changes will ease UAS restrictions in the Dublin area while maintaining protection for airports, air corridors and sensitive state infrastructure, e.g. hospitals and prisons.

    2. Drones in the Dublin UAS geographical zone are currently restricted to a height of 15m (50 ft). The proposed changes will introduce graduated limits (depending on location) up to a maximum of 100 metres without special permission from the IAA.

    3. Different options are put forward for consideration in the consultation document.

    for a while now, DJI has had extended areas around airport runways (several KMs) which limit you to 150m - so 100m is fine. I thought the 15m Class C rule was silly and I'm sure no-one follows it.


  • #2


    15m seems crazy crazy low to me!

    Got a Mini 2 Flymore Combo there on Monday evening for €500 from DoneDeal, I was happy out! Batteries had never been charged and most of the stickers still on it! Based on the recommendation earlier in this thread I am now looking on https://www.coverdrone.com/ie/ to see how much they will charge to cover my Mini 2.

    I am struggling whether to use manual settings or just leave it on auto for photos and videos? If anyone uses manual settings did you follow a YouTube video or figure out the settings yourself?

    Thnaks,
    M


  • #2


    madmoe wrote: »
    15m seems crazy crazy low to me!
    I am struggling whether to use manual settings or just leave it on auto for photos and videos? If anyone uses manual settings did you follow a YouTube video or figure out the settings yourself?

    As you're new to it, I'd spend a few flights getting used to the controls, try and think about what you'd do if there was a problem - ie. using the return to home function, making sure all the settings in the app are correct.

    After a while (a few days or a couple of weeks) of flying, you can look up guides for what settings are best in manual. Also, around sunset/sunrise are the best times to take more dramatic videos, etc. Just remember, it's not easy :)


  • #2


    I’d love a drone but are they worth it? I’ve no intention on spying on anyone or trying to see what’s in their back garden but I really don’t want to have to deal with someone who thinks I am. I like the idea of flying them but I’m really interested in the photography side of it but think I’d get bored of taking photos/videos of empty forestries before long. I live in a smallish village with a few nice sites around it but there are also quite a few houses around too.

    Do you get much hassle flying them around parks/coastal areas/nature trails? I’m aware of the 30m restrictions ect.

    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3



  • #2


    So how are people editing their drone footage?
    Any serious filmmakers here using colour grading / correction, filters etc..?

    I see the DJI fly app has a very capable video editor which can be used to edit any videos on your phone also, something I overlooked. Nice to have an ad free video editor for Android.
    The interface reminds me a lot of iMovie on iOS which I liked for its ease of use and encoding speed.



    On Desktop I quite like Da Vinci Resolve which is free and very powerful but with a more user friendly interface than the likes of Adobe Premiere.

    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

    Vegas Pro 16 Edit can be had for €25.26 on Humble Bundle at the moment with other software included so that a nice cheap option also. The current version is 18 so bare that in mind.

    https://www.humblebundle.com/software/vegas-pro-discover-your-endless-freedom-software

    So many options, thinking of sticking with DJI fly and DaVinci Resolve personally as I found the encoding options must easier than old versions of Sony Vegas.
    Vegas Pro 16 Edit is tempting at that price though...


  • #2


    Doge wrote: »
    So how are people editing their drone footage?
    Any serious filmmakers here using colour grading / correction, filters etc..?

    I see the DJI fly app has a very capable video editor which can be used to edit any videos on your phone also, something I overlooked. Nice to have an ad free video editor for Android.
    The interface reminds me a lot of iMovie on iOS which I liked for its ease of use and encoding speed.



    On Desktop I quite like Da Vinci Resolve which is free and very powerful but with a more user friendly interface than the likes of Adobe Premiere.



    So many options, thinking of sticking with DJI fly and DaVinci Resolve personally as I found the encoding options must easier than old versions of Sony Vegas.
    Vegas Pro 16 Edit is tempting at that price though...


    I'm using corel video studio I needed a video editing software a couple of years ago and it was cheap, it is alright. I'll going to look at davinci resolve now. I assume it takes an age to render on a phone?


  • #2


    sheesh wrote: »
    I'm using corel video studio I needed a video editing software a couple of years ago and it was cheap, it is alright. I'll going to look at davinci resolve now. I assume it takes an age to render on a phone?

    I can't speak as I haven't rendered anything besides a quick 15 second clip that was non drone footage.
    It will depend on your phone's processor i suppose but may be less time than you think as these arm processors are pretty efficient.

    Still waiting for the winds to die down so I can fly it somewhere besides the living room. :pac:


  • #2


    Doge wrote: »
    I can't speak as I haven't rendered anything besides a quick 15 second clip that was non drone footage.
    It will depend on your phone's processor i suppose but may be less time than you think as these arm processors are pretty efficient.

    Still waiting for the winds to die down so I can fly it somewhere besides the living room. :pac:

    of course! I suppose some of the high end phones would be very fast and if you were in media you'd have one.


  • #2


    I've been rendering vids for years and shudder to think what it'd be like on a mobile phone! especially 5.4K Video, even scrubbing through a short timeline could be quite taxing on a phone


  • #2


    Doge wrote: »
    So how are people editing their drone footage?
    Any serious filmmakers here using colour grading / correction, filters etc..?

    I see the DJI fly app has a very capable video editor which can be used to edit any videos on your phone also, something I overlooked. Nice to have an ad free video editor for Android.
    The interface reminds me a lot of iMovie on iOS which I liked for its ease of use and encoding speed.



    On Desktop I quite like Da Vinci Resolve which is free and very powerful but with a more user friendly interface than the likes of Adobe Premiere.

    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

    Vegas Pro 16 Edit can be had for €25.26 on Humble Bundle at the moment with other software included so that a nice cheap option also. The current version is 18 so bare that in mind.

    https://www.humblebundle.com/software/vegas-pro-discover-your-endless-freedom-software

    So many options, thinking of sticking with DJI fly and DaVinci Resolve personally as I found the encoding options must easier than old versions of Sony Vegas.
    Vegas Pro 16 Edit is tempting at that price though...

    I just started using Filmora X there last night! Didn't do any grading or stuff like that. Edited a lot of DJI Mini 2 footage together and added a music track as well as some text at the start. Was handy enough to figure it out and am happy with the results. I will be sticking with Filmora X for the foreseeable anyhow.

    Cheers,
    M


  • #2


    Quick one. Do you have to register the mini 2 with IAA. It’s under 250g but has a camera but theres mention of some drones with cameras under 250g falling under a toy category so I can’t see a clear answer.


  • #2


    attachment.php?attachmentid=551353&stc=1&d=1619374163


    Looks like we're in for good Drone weather tomorrow in Cork.
    I'll finally get to take the Mavic Mini out!


  • #2


    Quick one. Do you have to register the mini 2 with IAA. It’s under 250g but has a camera but theres mention of some drones with cameras under 250g falling under a toy category so I can’t see a clear answer.

    yes. My understanding is that the manufacturer must designate it as a toy. I don't think the mini 2 is designated as a toy by dji. Legally you would need to be registered as an operator. Any way that is my interpretation of the video I watched :)


Sign In or Register to comment.