Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs you'll never see the like of again.

Options

Comments

Was lucky enough to catch David Bowie in the Olympia in 1997.

No mention of the SFX???? Countless nights enjoyed there, we used get a minibus down from Drogheda put on by a man who ran a local record shop. I remember the sense of comradery I felt as much the gigs as I'd have been young enough and the others would have been a little or a lot older than me and usually the same faces going to most of the gigs. They could tell you to go easy on the 2 beers you'd have been handed without sounding like your Dad, point out the meet up spot to get home and generally just look out for ya. There was always a tape for the bus driver to play and I remember asking who it was on the tape one night as it was new to me and being given the tape (Time Heals Nothing by Crowbar).

I think people find their own way to most gigs these days so miss out on that craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Sting in the London Palladium by any chance? I was there on Saturday night.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Yep. Gordon Sumner at the Palladium tomorrow, Suzi Quatro at the Royal Albert Hall on Wednesday. Flying back Thursday morning then heading on the Rosslare ferry to Pembroke on Sunday morning, Blondie in Cardiff Sunday evening and the overnight ferry back, Then a bit of a break until Whitesnake, Foreigner and Europe at the 3Arena in 3 weeks time....

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭interlocked

Nothing will ever beat Bruce singing your sign request in a pre show in Limerick in 2013. He had never sang this song in public prior to this, apart from a Southside Johnny Show years previously. Yeah I was happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

This was literally the same memory of this as me. The most no stress gig ever, just rocked up and got tickets outside, straight in and really enjoyed the gig. Michael Stipe and Peter Buck watched the whole gig about 10 feet away from us and nobody hassled them it was deadly.

Another shout to McGonagles, went to see Inspiral Carpets there and the start of the Manchester wave and watched the roadie do his thing for a bit as had just started ro play guitar. Found out 20 yrs later is was Noel Gallagher. Read in Hot Press we broke the floor that night, will probably be the first place I go back to when Time Travel is invented, and then over to Prince in Malahide Castle again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I miss the old warm up gigs that bands used to do before major festival appearances, they hardly seem to happen now, when they did they were usually billed under another name, a few I seem were..

Metallica (Billed as Damage Inc.) at The 100 Club in London, Aug 87

Aerosmith at The Marquee, London Aug 1990

Thunder (Billed as Danny and the Doo Ops) at The Tiv, think Aug 92

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭Xander10

SFX...I remember The Smiths, ABC, and if memory serves me correctly a U2 gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

This thread is epic! Anybody here lucky enough to have seen Bob Marley?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Smashing Pumpkins in the SFX, 1995, prior to the release of Mellon Collie, £12.75.

David Bowie in the Olympia, 1997, £24.50.

Foo Fighters, Olympia, 2000. £22.50. Memorable for Dave Grohl climbing from the stage to the box on the side, climbing over to the circle, walking along the front row of the circle - playing guitar - before returning to the stage via the opposite side.

Kate Bush, Hammersmith Odeon, 2014. A show that nobody thought they would ever see and that we really won't see the likes of again.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Spiritualized performing Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space with a choir and orchestra at Radio City Music Hall NYC in 2010

Incredible gig and by far the best I've ever been to. Saw them doing the same show a couple of years later in the National Concert Hall but the Radio City gig was on another level. To see and hear one of my top 3 albums performed in such an iconic venue was pretty f*cking mind blowing. The quality of the sound was like nothing I've ever heard before or since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭jd

Have to agree about McGonagles, saw some great stuff there. MBV, Loop, Sonic Youth, Teenage Fanclub, Jonathan Richman etc etc

One that stands out is Fugazi (1989 show below)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Granite Head

Radiohead, May 1993, Pablo Honey Tour, In the Rock Garden Temple Bar - less than a 100 at the gig.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Hey BD, was that the one with Spacemen 3 and Suicide also on the bill? Lucky man if so!

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Awesome. Someone sent me that DVD many years ago. I saw them in Vicar St. when they reformed in 2008 but obviously it was nothing like that. They didn't even play Human Cannonball that night. Bah!

Seen them about 30 times but two of the best were in the Rock Garden in 1991 and '92. Still two of the greatest gigs i've ever seen. Strobes, projections and smoke all the way through so that a lot of the time you couldn't even see the band. From 1991-1993 they were untouchable.

Other notable gigs in the Rock Garden i saw were Mercury Rev (David Baker era, their best imo), Pavement, The Boo Radleys, Lush plus plenty others. Gutted i missed both Stereolab and Monster Magnet in there though.

McGonagles, wonderful venue. After missing the MBV and SY gigs mentioned above i decided that if i wanted to see these gigs i'd have to start going on my own. Ride in 1990 was the first and i never looked back...Loop (w/Therapy? as support), Dinosaur Jr., Curve, Nomeansno etc. all seen in there. Remember the sweat used to be running down the walls!

I was at that aforementioned Smashing Pumpkins gig in the SFX too. Another place i saw loads of great gigs.

Probably the main one for this thread though was Moe Tucker in the Baggot Inn circa 91/92. A wonderful surprise when the band walked out and her guitarist was Sterling Morrison. Half of the Velvet Underground right there in touching distance! I still have the empty box of Silk Cut Purple that i got signed that night. Plus, support came from the Whipping Boy who were very much the best band in Ireland at that point imo and still kicking up a great noise, before they became just another indie band with Heartworm (that's a whole other topic though!)

Just remembered: Mogwai in Whelans touring Young Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

That's the one alright Dreamweapon, also Doctor & the Medics and Tubilah Dog on the bill too, Spacemen 3 became Sonic Boom became Spiritualised didn't they?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Led Zeppelin's 2007 reunion gig at the O2 in London. It was literally the golden ticket of rock gigs in this century so far. Wonderful night.

Yeah U2 played three nights in the SFX in 1983, last one on Xmas Eve, complete with artificial snow. I was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

SFX

first band I saw there was Jesus and Mary Chain - September 1987. Darklands tour "NO ENCORES" posters.

I also saw

Sugarcubes (1989) - brilliant. Played all of Life's Too Good despite them touring the second album. Broke in ox blood docs that night.

Wonderstuff (1989) - jammed. Too many tickets sold.

Wedding Present (1990) - after being postponed twice.

House of Love (1990) - Fontana album tour.

Wedding Present (1991) - the Seamonsters tour with Buffalo Tom and serious mosh action.

Fugazi / Chumbawamba / In Motion (1992) - ticket was £4.50. Chumabawamba dressed as nuns chucking condoms into the audience.

My Bloody Valentine (1992) - availed of earplugs. Wise decision given the Holocaust section.

Therapy? (1992) - great atmosphere. Free 7" with covers of With Or Without You and Teenage Kicks. Silverfish supported.

The Cramps (1995) - just thrilled to finally see them.

McGonagles

A good few of my favourites mentioned already. @The Royal Scam - yes, the crowd broke the floor at the Inspiral Carpets Life tour gig. It was a Sunday, the album came out the following day.

The Wedding Present - first time playing here. Why Are You Being So Reasonable Now just out.

Happy Mondays + The Shamen on Paddy's Day 1989. No Bez. Great night though.

House Of Love - seriously great gig, February 1989.

My Bloody Valentine (1990 April) - crap sound. After they played Cupid Come, someone shouted PLAY CUPID COME.

Loop & Therapy? was fantastic but a stagediver with a 14 hole pair of docs made contact with my head. Great days.

Curve opened up their Cherry EP tour there in November 1991 so the NME and Melody Maker had big write ups.

• Advertisement

I posted this before but have to post it again, I was at this gig and this was my proper first rock festival, on a coach trip from Glasgow and two litres of Black Russian to Donington Park 1984, it was a gorgeous sunny day and an amazing gig. A great day Accept, Motley Crue, Y&T, Gary Moore, Ozzy Osbourne, Van Halen and AC/DC headlining. Van Halen - Hot For Teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭enricoh

Kerbdog were on tour many moons ago, I was 14 n went down with a few mates for a bit of nacker drinking in the grounds of the local hotel they were playing in.

We chanced our arm to get in n the bouncer asked if I had my pocket money with me- I replied I did n in I went! The atmosphere was electric, there was fights everywhere, cops turned up n thought better to stick around! Rock n roll!

Yep. Sonic Boom (Pete Kember) released solo records and also as Spectrum and E.A.R. While Jason Pierce formed Spiritualized. I am a Spacemen fanatic since the late 80s, hence my user name (it's one of their albums). BTW, i used to love that Accept album 'Balls To The Wall' when i was a young fella!

@NewbridgeIR : It seems we were at a lot of the same gigs. That Sugarcubes one was the first 'cool' gig i went to. Saw JAMC in Top Hat two weeks later and then Wonder Stuff two weeks after that. Chumbawamba were fantastic in SFX. Not only dressed as nuns but Danbert wearing a nappy and bowling around the stage in a wheelchair flashing a spotlight into the crowd. The ticket folded out into a booklet about AIDS and safe sex. Whipping Boy were also support on that Therapy?/Silverfish gig.

Saw Underworld there on the 'Second Toughest...' tour, Primal Scream, The Verve, Eat Static (what a night!) that Foo Fighters show (went purely out of curiosity, not my thing). I know there were plenty more.

Here's one; Rock Werchter 1996: On Sunday evening from 5.30-8.30 i saw Massive Attack, RATM and Radiohead all play 1hr. sets back to back. Definitely never see the likes of that again!

They played here just before or just after the long over due second album and we had no bother getting in either. No fights in Man Fridays in Drogheda though. They were sound lads, I met them a few times. I remember they supported Placebo I think in the SFX and myself and the girlfriend headed down to Dublin early with a lift home with her mam that night and met them strolling down Georges St and they signed our homework journals. I'm trying to think of why we brought our school bags with us to have had those with us and I've got nothing.

EDIT: Actually such was our love of Kerbdog's first album we bought tickets to see Megadeth in 1995 on the strength that Kerbdog would be supporting them and it was actually on the tickets I think. Corrosion of Conformity actually played instead that night.

This thread has really taken off, I'd no idea that this would this popular. But hats off to ya there is some amazing memories in there, keep them coming. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭dasdog

That Eat Static SFX gig was on a Tuesday/Wednesday so I had to take it relatively handy. But I saw them about a year later headlining Dance Valley in Amsterdam in 1996. Nobody else seemed to have had a clue who they were but I loved the Ozrics (who played the Mean Fiddler in the late 90's?) and Eat Static are pretty much still my favourite "Techno" outfit. That was some morning/day/evening/night - we kept going till the next afternoon. Dutch chemical assistance of course.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was at that gig as well. Brilliant show, but I have never been so cold in all my life. There were openings on either side of the tent, and we were right behind the second barrier in the middle of the crowd, so it was effectively a wind tunnel right in front of us for several hours. Took me about 15 minutes of the heat on full blast in the car before I was able to drive home.

Also seen them twice in the Olympia, 1996, about a year after The Bends was released, and 2003 at Dublin's worst kept secret "secret gig" just before Hail to the Thief was released. Amazing both times, but the 1996 gig really was exceptional, I don't know how the theatre was still standing after it.

Actually Radiohead, all my pals at school were headed to Galway to see them back in the day and I saw them a few nights before in the Olympia !!!

My girlfriend at the time loved them and that was a gig fitting of this thread but I have little or no memory of really. Radiohead were a band that did nothing for me outside of a few songs from Kid A. Never saw the big deal about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I was at the Boredoms gig in NYC on 07/07/2007. Kicked off at 7.07pm and featured a whopping 77 drummers. Incredible

Advertisement