Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs you'll never see the like of again.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Yeah Im with you on this one.Ive seen Hawkwind a few times over the years.Saw them at an all dayer in Kentish town in 88 with Calvert.He died a few months later I think.Big feed of pookies.Lemmy was there too.One minute he was striding purposefully by us,he was about 800 feet tall,His boots alone were about 250 feet tall.Next Minute hes up on the stage doing Master of the Universe.

Calvert with the goggles white scarf and Fighter pilot leather doin The Right Stuff...

Also saw The Greatful Dead in Giants stadium a few weeks before Jerry Garcia died.It wasnt one of their best for sure,but glad to say I saw them for the atmosphere at the show.Like nothing else ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Would love to have seen The Grateful Dead live. Was meant to in 1995 but it didn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

My other shout out to Radiohead ,saw them in Castlegar at the Big Day Out festival back in July 96. Decent lineup that day Ron Sexsmith,Divine Comedy,Bluetones , The Cardigans Neneh Cherry that day.

Other mention is Tom Waits on his Glitter and Doom tour in the Phoenix Park back in July 2008. First time I can remember that photo id had to be produced for proof of purchase and entry,the prices for the tickets were unreal ,I paid €135 each for me and the missus to see but it was worth every penny,amazing show,crazy old Tom is a true genius!!!

Post edited by Mike Guide 69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Bob Dylan in Kilkenny 2001. He was in fine form in no small part due to Ronnie Wood taking to the stage with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Toots and the Maytals 1975 probably their finest live document, was lucky to get to see him four times before he passed in 2020.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Anyone see Meatloaf on his weird and wonderful tour around rural Ireland, in 1990.

Great article about the Moate gig but I'd love to hear if anyone else was at any of the shows.

I remember he played Bundoran, I never went but I heard it was a great gig.

Another band I never got to see live, Rush and the music you see represented here you'll never hear with such intensity again, as its pretty damn hard to top Neil Peart's drumming. Of course, Rush can still happen with Lifeson and Lee still fairly active, but it won't be this Rush.

La Villa Strangiato - Pink Pop Festival 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dasdog

Saw MOD - Whatever about Billy Milano views - this is thrash metal almost taking the piss out of thrash metal.

They were mad gigs - very intense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

All the pictures I've posted in this forum I've taken myself, so yes I did attend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Xander10

Probably my first ever concert if memory serves me well. as a young teenager I got to the gig in Wembley Arena. We're probably talking about the same gig. My daughter turned into a big fan of her own persuasion, She is both jealous and impressed that I seen him and many other great artists live.

I've always liked a bit of Talking Heads so was delighted to see David Byrne with St Vincent at Electric Picnic 2013. Watched this concert a few years ago and it was probably the Talking Head zenith, the tour in Italy 1980 and their guitarist being Andrew Belew, probably one of the most extraordinary and gifted guitarists out there along with Fripp and Hillage and man, you could just look at the bassist Tina Weymouth all night and be happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

That mention of Talking Heads reminded me. In December 1979 I was at the Electric Ballroom in Camden where Talking Heads headlined, supported by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and a 4 piece from Dublin called U2.

This would have been well before their first album and like all gigs the place wouldn't have been that full for the third act.

I remember saying to friends at the time that they were ok but not brilliant. What do I know.

Think that was one of their first gigs outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Some great memories in here, lads. Keep 'em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I thought it was a pile of rubbish at the time. Was so disappointed. They hadn't released Kid A, and at the time, I wasn't massively into OK Computer. WAs looking forward to hearing almost all of The Bends, and some of the decent tunes from the first album and OK Computer. But then they started playing all these weird noises. We ended going in and out to the bar, and having fags. Switched off from the gig completely. It was only some years later, I had a look back at the setlist, and realised it was amazing. Just that I wasn't familiar with the tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I wonder can I digress:

Bodhrandude mentions David Byrne. I changed my sky box last year from a basic to skyQ. On my old box I had some amazing recordings, one of which is the movie: Wall Street, Money never sleeps. Of course, I lost everything when I got the new box. I really enjoyed the above movie as there was some great music on it including David Byrne.

What I’m wondering is: the q box doesn’t have the search facility. And whenever that movie is shown again I don’t want to miss the opportunity to record it. I don’t have the Sky movie package and it’s not on Netflix. Does anyone know how to do a search on the Q box?

Guess this is a case of advancing technology in reverse?

Mods: if this is the wrong place for this post, please feel free to move to an appropriate forum. And thanks BodhranDude for Jogging some great memories.

Post edited by WishUWereHere on

I was lucky enough to see the last 2 performances of The Wall up in Dublin. The Point May 2011 & Aviva in ( I think ) September 2013. Both amazing gigs but for me, Roger really performed an amazing gig at Landsdowne Road. That wall built across one end of the pitch is something I’ll never forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lola40

I was lucky enough to see Prince at Malahide Castle in 2011. It was a beautiful day and a lovely older crowd who were all so happy to be there. Little did we know that he would never be back and how he would die just a few short years later. Very grateful and happy that I got to see him.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No that was the first of 3 nights at the Milton Keynes Bowl. Saw him at Live Aid, then in the Glass Spider Tour in 87, and I saw him again in the noughties, but that MK gig stands head and shoulders above the rest

Think it's a long time since he brought a snake on the stage:

The Nightmare Returns Tour in '86

This was my favourite photo from that evening at Manchester Apollo:

The photo that followed it was rather gruesome.......

Beasty, You mention You were at Live Aid. Then You saw the one performance I have never got to see personally and never will. The 4 members of Pink Floyd. I have seen a million times on YouTube, but would love to hear what You thought of it?

No they did Live8 20 years later

The only member of Pink Floyd at Live Aid in '85 was David Gilmour who was on stage with Bryan Ferry

Anyway, back to Wembley and 1988, when Springsteen, Sting and Peter Gabriel were on the same stage (with Tracy Chapman and Youssou N'Dour) were on stage together for the "Human Rights Now" concert:

and funnily enough I'll be seeing one of them for the first time since that gig tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Stillill42

You need your own thread, Beasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dasdog

Professional level photographs of notable concerts in history by Beasty thread :)

Rodrigo & Gabriella - it was a few days after the 9/11 attack. They were playing Metallica's Orion among other incredibly technical songs in front of about 30 people in a pub in Rathmines and we were in touching distance - had a chat with them afterwards about how brilliant they were. You just knew you were seeing something very special and they were going to go on to much bigger things.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Everlong1

My first ever gig was The Police at Leixlip Castle in 1980. U2 were one of the early supports. I'd never heard of them and didn't pay much attention, although I vaguely remember liking "A Day Without Me". Forward to the present day and I have one of Bono's lyrics tattooed on my arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Lucky enough to have seen David Bowie in Slane on the Glass Spider Tour and in the Point for the Sound and Vision Tour. My favourite was the two nights he did in the Point in 2003 on the Reality tour. I only had a ticket for the first night but it was so brilliant I went back the second night and bought a ticket off a tout. Little did I know that would be his last tour and performance in Ireland. Fantastic gigs. My favourite memory is being in the middle of 8,000 people singing along to Life On Mars. First song each night was Rebel Rebel.

David Bowie - Rebel Rebel (A Reality Tour) - YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The DVD is £3.58 (including VAT) on Amazon UK if that's any help

Advertisement