Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod note Post #1 - All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2022 (Liam McCarthy Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I think Limerick are going to need injuries to a few key players for anyone else to win.

The compressed season will help them I think, with it less likely they will go stale. 3 months more hard work and the immortality of being a 3 in a row team awaits.

Always the possibility of getting caught like they did in 2019 but I don't think it's probable.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

Funny how the losing team always feel they were cheated.

It's other people complaining about hand pass decisions, not me. So it's the ones complaining about it who probably need to supply the solution.

I've trained U14s who've become so good at hand passing quickly in tight situations, it's hard to detect even in training. It looks like the better they get the more likely they are to be pulled up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Rosita

Being "very good at it" is irrelevant. My understanding is that a definite striking action needs to be shown. If someone is so "good" at handpassing that they don't show this then it's an illegal handpass. That should be part of the coaching process rather than coaching an essentially illegal handpass.

• Advertisement

The most hype about Waterford is coming from outside the County IMO. We've seen it all falling flat too many times before to really believe its going to happen. Most of us have never seen a Waterford AI in our lifetime.

• The best handpassers are the ones that make sure the ref knows they've actually completed a legitimate handpass.

"I swear ref, it came a micrometre out of me hand."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Any word on the attendance in Cork yesterday?

Yes it means having to coach the players to slow down the pass to 'exaggerate' the strike. Feels wrong to be coaching a less effective technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

I have 7 grandchildren, ranging in age from 3 to 10, and all of them can throw the ball. I'm teaching the older ones how to handpass properly and they're finding it difficult. But they'll get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

Ciaran is the stand out from that Limerick team.

What would go against him is that he was very one sided but he was one of the last from the pure knockout era and performed so that has stood to his legacy.

I'd agree fully on Horgan.

Other than Kilkenny in 2019 his record in the big/knockout games leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

It feels right to obey the rule which states a clear striking action should be visible. Sound like you want to make up the rules to suit your 'keep the game flowing' narrative. If the refs cant determine a space between the ball and the hand then its a free. If Waterford are beaten by a goal in the AI final scored from a thrown ball you might quickly get the point.

I cast my lonely eyes to my poster of Gary Kirby on the wall....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I'd rate Harnedy higher than Horgan.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

How do you keep any striking action 'visible to the ref' if he is behind the player & cannot see his hand? So if the referee is unsighted, he has to blow up for a throw?

With regards the throw ball - refs blew it a lot in league. We're on week one of the Championship and refs have largely ignored it. In fact they ignored it in the League Final when there was plenty to blow for.

Even young kids are capable of throwing the ball - let the fun begin - all teams join in that fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,685 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The striking should be visible, from hand to ball, clear to see. It's not a players fault if the ref cannot see due to his position, but if the player executes a handpass correctly, the position of the ref shouldn't matter to him, should it?

For any handpass that the ref can see, 'seamless' is not an option. It's fairly simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Rosita

You can't. In the same way there was a free out given against one of the Wexford forwards on Saturday evening for over-carrying when it was clear from the angles shown on TV that his arm was being held and he could do nothing. But the referee didn't see it and made the wrong decision.

Referees will make mistakes, be unsighted, etc. Sometimes they'll make a plain old inexplicable mistake. Look at how Brian Concannon got away with 10 steps when he scored Galway's goal against Wexford. That's human nature. And it's not fair to the team that is the victim. But implying that the rules should be determined by the possibility of such errors is a different matter.

Post edited by Rosita on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,160 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tony Browne did have some howlers too and his skill level wouldn't be as good as players today. Tbf say it was more the style at the time and ground strokes would of been more popular

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Waterford were never good enough to win All Ireland from 1998-2008. Great teams but very inconsistent. Brilliant one day and bang average the next day. That won't win you All IrelandS. They had their chances if they were good enough. Same as Limerick 1994-1996. Not having a dig but if they were good enough they would have got over the line. As regards Cork, alot of damage was done during the strikes, and will take along time to put right. Also the politics in Cork GAA must go if Cork have any chance of becoming a decent side again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,324 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well we can't have teams who were good enough to win All Irelands on lists of best teams to never win All Irelands now can we.

Kinda redundant to say the best team to never win an All Ireland were not good enough to win an All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

The technique won't be more effective when a free results in a point to the opposition. You have to move with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

I thought that Waterford had a number of great individuals playing for them in the noughties but that is what they were, they never played as a team. They would go for their own score rather than pass it to a teammate who was in a better position. You are talking about Eoin Kelly in particular but also John Mullane and Dan Shanahan. Paul Flynn was another from a slightly earlier era. I remember a photo of Eoin Kelly (Waterford) with his arms outstretched milking the applause after scoring a goal against Antrim, it was more like a celebration that you would expect from a soccer player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Surely if the ref is unsighted he has to give benefit of doubt and assume it was/is a legit hand pass…..otherwise the game would develop into a farce…???

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭letsseehere14

Fabulous performance from Limerick. To be able to turn up like that and turn it on is impressive.

Cork, still on their day can beat anyone, maybe except Limerick at this stage. We found that out in Limerick in 2019 but we're a different team now. Them being built up they way they have, in the cold light of day, didnt make sense.

2018 they folded against Limerick in the last 10 mins, 2019 they folded against Kilkenny after 30 minutes, 2020 they folded against Tipp with 20 to go. 2021 they didnt lay a hand on ourselves twice and to get to the final they scraped past Clare who I felt were more worth the win, an average Dublin and nearly folded again against Kilkenny. It was an easy and fortunate path to a final that they made a hard road of for a team muted as challengers.

They have given up their home advantage against Clare now and have to travel down to Waterford and up to Tipp. No more home games this year, confidence has to be dented after these last 3 big game performances.

Limerick Waterford next week is huge. More so for Waterford I feel. Cork are not gone yet and a loss here means a really important match against Cork. Their path isnt guaranteed. People said they were nervous and didnt play well. I though Tipp were the more nervous side there to start but once they settled they didnt allow Waterford to play more than Waterford played poorly. I think Waterford are not as good as people thing and Tipp are not as bad. I watched it back yesterday. Both Waterford goals should probably have been free outs, but I didnt think Kiely swing was a red. The ref was a bit of a home towner though. The two big subs at half time made a big difference but in a lot of ways Tipp had the better opportunities to win that game. Loved Cahills dig at Derek and probably Mullane (though not as much) aswell. Both these sides, if allowed, could really grow into this championship.

Clare might have a surprise or two in them yet. They way this year has panned out, it really couldnt have given them a better opportunity. Cork giving up home territory, Tipp in semi transition/missing a lot of big players, Limerick at home probably after already qualifying for the Munster final and will probably rest players. Clare should be aiming for minimum 2 wins from 4 here. If Waterford lose on Saturday, I still couldnt commit to who will be 2nd and 3rd.

Thought Galway looked comfortable, but really threw that game away. Dont fully buy these second by second comparisons for the frees at the end. Chin was striking his before Cooney was even close to hitting it. Plus the ref blows his whistle before Cooney even gets around to placing it, Chin has it placed 3 seconds before the ref blows his whistle. Losing Whelan is huge for them aswell but I think they will get through.

Kilkenny, I feared for earlier this year, thought they would struggle but they have turned things around and I am sorry to say Wexford and Dublin are not as close as I and many thought.

The handpass is an issue. Derek McGrath, for an English teacher cant seem to distinguish between 'Clear Striking Action' and 'small separation' and hes now dodging the conversation on Dalos podcast and TSG by trying to make a joke about having an hours long debate. He is wrong about this in my book 100%.

Limerick

Waterford

Kilkenny, Tipperary

Cork

Clare, Galway

Wexford

Dublin

Laois

Westmeath

Is how I see it at the moment, with a big gap between Limerick and Waterford, but from Waterford back to Clare/Galway the gap isnt that great. Cork behind Tipp/KK as they have a harder path out and that was a confidence hammer blow last Sunday. Galway and Clare behind Cork until both prove their credentials. Wexford/Dublin were both poor last weekend.

Cork used the running game back in 2004/5 with success. It was Donal O'Grady, the then manager, who copied the Newtown method. It was dismantled by Cody in 2006. O'Grady is involved at present with Cork so it's no great surprise that they've reverted to his old game plan. Once Kilkenny figured it out back then it became redundant. It certainly won't work against Limerick all these years later. Cusack was around then so ought to be fully aware when foolishly tipping Cork to win last Sunday. Back to the drawing board, Donal and Donal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

remember a photo of Eoin Kelly (Waterford) with his arms outstretched milking the applause after scoring a goal against Antrim, it was more like a celebration that you would expect from a soccer player,

That was against Cork in the Munster final 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭thebourke

none of the games at the weekend appear to have a sold out crowd...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Is how I see it at the moment, with a big gap between Limerick and Waterford, but from Waterford back to Clare/Galway the gap isnt that great. 

Agree with that.

Waterford are closer to the chasing pack than they are to Limerick.

This limerick team are like the Dublin footballers once were.

It's unlikely anyone will rise there game enough to match them, we just have to wait until Limerick's standards drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Well there was a very good crowd ,around 40,000 at tbe Cork v Limerick game. The 10,200 at the Wexford game was poor in anyone's book. Again if the Tipp v Waterford game wasn't a sellout then that would be disappointing. I'd say there ll be 30,000 at Limerick v Waterford

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement