Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This I never understood but it happens all the time. Traffic is stationary, and they see you filtering so they pull sidewards and block off the way. It's is bizarre and takes some weird sort of mentality that I simply can't grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Where do you suggest that a driver pulls into to let cyclists past? Into the kerb or shared cycling lane where most cyclists are?

As a cyclist in Dublin, if there's slow moving traffic, 30-40km isn't often a safe speed, I'd never risk going at that speed with other cyclists, pedestrians and motorists all capable of doing very stupid things that'll happen very quickly if cycling > 30kmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭cletus

Cars in the city could travel at 50kpm, if it wasn't for all the other cars going at less than 10kph. Why doesn't all of the traffic get out of the way of all the fast moving traffic? Your point is ridiculous

I often travel at well over 30kmph on my bike in the suburbs, when the roads are clear I can easily tip north of 50kmph on descents. I don't in rush hour traffic, not because I can't but because typically some douche bag will swerve in to block the clear path to their left, not because they are turning, but because they are a douche bag. I don't think its any different. and I could be wrong, but I am almost certain that the driver who does that is the same douche bag who will skim me out in the countryside and blame me for "holding them up". Should they let traffic like motorbikes, mopeds, cyclists through, yes, it is not slowing them down, they are to big to get around the other traffic there, bikes of all types are typically not. Do I care, not a jot, **** like that are going to die miserable and alone a few years earlier than me, so I will enjoy my spin, sail past when I can and call them a w****r as I laugh to myself knowing they are unlikely to see me ever again. Should I pull in, in the countryside, there are possible occasions but in truth, these are rare and the time spent behind me will not be very long unless they enjoy the view. In all my years, only once has their been a convoy behind me, and we did pull in, but aside from that one occasion, in 40 years where there was rural cycling on a regualr basis, it simply has not happened anymore than that. There are cars that have beeped me and skimmed me but none of them were actually held back anymore than 30seconds and often they were clearly driving dangerously after the fact as I see them take into a blind corner, wheel going over the line at a speed they cannot stop within their sight lines. I've beeb beeped when keeping up with the motor in front (as it makes more sense to be in the traffic lane at that speed), and beeped for following the rules, beeped for not following the rules, I can't win so I no longer try.

Long story short, I am not sure what this discussion is about but my advice is be nice to other people with the exception of those who are not nice to you, you can flip them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

First full week back on the bike and picked up a new camera too, just in time it seems. Not sure why the combine couldn't have waited I could have touched him as he passed with oncoming traffic and the BMW I was signalling to turn right well before and while he passed me as I knew he was approaching but he was in a rush to the red light! Apologies for the road noise and expletives.

https://streamable.com/c2lhta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I'd cycle out in the centre a bit more and not give the likes that forage harvester the space to fit through. Doesn't excuse him being a prick. I'd report him.

BMW pulled a complete asshat manoeuver.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I find that traffic along that stretch with the tractor (travelling East from Leixlip towards the N4) you really do need to take the lane and be far enough out that drivers need to think about how they will overtake and consider oncoming traffic, etc. For some reason, if you don't they pretty much never cross the white line when overtaking. The fact that you're moving more slowly due to the hill shouldn't make you reconsider this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

That is truly shocking.

Also regarding N4, What was the driver doing, he would need to slow down at the top of the road sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,718 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd suggest that drivers pull into the same places as they expect cyclists to pull in for them - the kerb, or into parking bays or driveways, whatever it takes to let the faster road users through.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,718 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Indeed, it is all the cars in the city that are holding each other up. There's not going to be room for other cars to get past, but with a little consideration, they can pull over to the kerb and let faster cyclists though.

My point is precisely as ridiculous as the suggestion that cyclists need to pull over for motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

F*cking hell Andrew. We've moved on. Drop it , you don't need to take this crusade into every single thread. 2 posters were having a very affable discussion and you've come along to start a row. He didn't say "need". He didn't say they have to. He said it costs little and it's something he does. You accused someone of "weasel words" and you've several times misrepresented what they actually wrote to suit yourself.

Everyone: Back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've given up reporting now if there's a company name I'll forward it to the company but the gardai just take too much time and effort. In truth, I was marvelling at how much steeper that hill had gotten got over covid so not paying proper attention to my road position 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭buffalo

That tractor driver has to be reported, holy moly.

BMW driver - I wouldn't bother, risk of driver getting off vs time and effort of reporting. But the first one, even though I was expecting it, yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

That road past the Salmon Leap is dodgy. It's slightly wider than usual so people think there's loads of room to pass when there isn't. That tractor should be reported, ridiculous carry on for someone in a machine that size. The van had no issue passing seconds later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I guess he stopped on his bike to video what's happening here, each passing car is a near miss at crazy speeds. This road was resurfaced and a new white line painted for active travel, likely to have come out of active travel funding. Wtf is wrong with our councils?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Yup. I suspect this happens all the time. Massive budget from some central or EU fund. Minimum effort required. But new road gets built..

Yeah I've seen some head scratchers near me. Yellow diamond signs put up on poles where you rarely see a bike and Sheffield stand with the bolts exposed in random locations away from the centre of town where nobody would actually need to lock a bike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's a box ticking exercise, they don't care too much about design they just see "must have cycle lane" so they throw down some paint and see it as job done. No thoughts about if its usable, safe or otherwise.

Near me the council change a street to one way, they claim the street has cycle LANES but there's no markings or signs anywhere.

Going with the traffic you could of course cycle on the road. But coming back you would be forced to cycle on the extremely narrow footpath which on one side is too narrow for a bike because of an electrical pole and on the other there's only two inches of clearance for a bike to pass.

But on their books it has cycle lanes.... 😡

Well FML, coming up to the junctoin where if you turn left at the end of Seapoint Avenue, you arrive at a T juntion on the Rock Road. Rolling up to the junction when a BMW, larger than an X5 but similar styling, rolls around the junction (turning right from ROck road to head towards Seapoint Avenue) and straight into oncoming traffic. On her phone, never looked up nad didn't even notice as I let a roar and swerved out of the way. Why do I keep not bothering with my camera. I look around in disbelief to see her enarly hit one of the orange bollards at the end of Seapoint Avenue. 2 kids in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

BMW X7 I guess. When everyone else has an X5 and you need to show you can afford a bigger SUV than them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

UK police/courts take action, £1k fine plus 5 penalty points for this offence which I remember seeing at the time of the transgression. No contact made and driver was well pulled over but traveling at an inappropriate speed. Don't think there was any malice intended unlike some of the close passes here so Irish gardaí/system needs to wake up.

Its really hard to tell from the video but if thats the standard, half of the cars that pass me on my commute in Dublin would be getting daily fines. Whats the opinon here? It certainly the punishment many drivers here deserve but the actual video looks like driving of a higher standard than I am used to on my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't think there's much danger there and driver has given an okay amount of space.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Are we looking at the same clip? The car was about a foot or 18 inches from the cyclist and driving too fast for the road. Punishment seems appropriate to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The cyclist fell because the one in front of them stopped and they probably weren't expecting it and didn't manage to clip out and stop safely. Not like they had to swerve out of the way or anything.

Jeep should have slowed right down but hardly their fault one of them ended up in the ditch. Wouldn't want to see her cycling in a city...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I love how people debate this, clearly and thankfully the police and judge thought very different and rightly fined the motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

As alluded to above if you're fining people 1k for that then they would have much worse on their hands every minute in a city. In this case it's a country road and they've adjusted to give space, it's not an ideal situation but the cyclists have panicked more than the driver doing them dirty imo. The car should have stopped but I don't think they were travelling at more than 30?

Looks faster then 30km/hour to me.

I regularly meet people on an extremely narrow road and I always crawl past them at 10-15km out of consideration, the driver should have done the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The speed is the issue for me, it’s a close enough pass but if it was done at a slower pace you wouldn’t complain much, but the fact he didn’t hesitate and just blasted through is what makes it dangerous for me.

The woman seems to have tipped over as a result of the lead fella braking, but to be honest if I seen a 4x4 barrelling down a narrow road towards me showing no sign of slowing, I’d be quick enough to stop and try get out of the way rather than be clipped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as others have pointed out above, on a road like that, the correct approach would have been to slow to a crawl and let the cyclists pass him, rather than him passing them; the road is barely wide enough to accomodate his car and the width of a bike. plus, the wing mirror also sits out reasonably far, you can see it as a black blur as he passes.

also, is he responsible for the cyclist falling over? not directly, he's not, but indirectly he is.

Advertisement