Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

Yeah I'd probably stick an arm out there if I was stuck in that cycle lane. Preference would be not to be in it in the first place coming out to that kind of junction.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't see how they can ban left turns though as they're not allowing traffic coming from extension go straight, so they'll still have to go left as they always have normally. If they're to go right onto the old ballymun road, that's a terrible compromise as that road is in rag order, and really needs sorting. I think that cyclists going straight now, good in theory, will see interactions like above.

Coming from the old ballymun road too, the kerbs/ barriers are set in really stupid positions too for both cars and bikes imo, and they really need to put a yellow box on the turn after the hardware store as traffic, bikes, peds there all get caught because traffic coming up mobhi road doesn't ever yield and just blocks it.

I think it's a bad compromise all round for every mode

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If you weren't going straight, wouldn't you be taking that left slip? Or does that just take you to the lights to cross?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I seem to remember them planning to reverse the direction of travel around the triangle, specifically to avoid left hooks on cyclists. But I can’t for the life of me find it now. Thinking about it, I’m not sure how it would have worked for turning from Griffith onto Ballymun road; I was thinking about the opposite manoeuvre when I looked at it.

What I have found is this, which leaves the left turns intact:

And yeah, if that’s what they’re doing, that’s likely to be a disaster.

Edit: I’m looking over Dutch junction design here and seeing what they were trying to do. I think there was room to design this better. But I’m wondering, would Dutch junctions work here on an ad hoc basis? They seem to rely on drivers turning right (left here) anticipating the presence of cyclists and knowing to give way.

Sorry, this may be better in the Infrastructure Planned for North Dublin thread, if mods want to take it over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Only enforcement will change behaviour. Otherwise the implications of driving badly are irrelevant.

I just don't see why we can't have red light cameras. They were in Oz in the 90s. I drove over there a lot. It conditions you to being a better driver all round. Respecting speed limits, driving with more care.

And the corollary is also true, having very low enforcement leads to negative behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Whats the process of reporting to the guards? Is there an upload site or must I visit a station ? Had this muppet scare the bejaysus out of me this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Does he keep pushing through on the next guy too?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

I think calling traffic watch is the way to go.

I made a report this way and guard contacted me in about 3 days. Their response time can vary a lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Yeah, he almost hits him. Then that cyclist went out in front until the cycle lane begins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,173 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ARX

Had some imbecile cut across me (I was in the cycle lane) from the centre lane into the Goat car park on the left the other day while staring at the phone in his lap:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2922974,-6.2290177,3a,49.6y,330h,78.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skOh0V90udSp2dxhe2dccyQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

I had a Bontrager Ion daytime running light flashing merrily away but I doubt he ever knew I was there.

Nearly every driver going straight ahead at that junction wanders into the cycle lane. And then you've the clowns who use the left-turn-only lane to skip ahead of the straight-ahead lane, so you can get it from both sides in that lane.

EDIT: I'm thinking of getting a really obnoxious flashing light for use only when going through junctions like this in daytime. Any recommendations for something small, not too expensive, just one or two modes? Battery life irrelevant as it would only be used for a few seconds at a time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was knocked down about 20 years ago probably 20m back from the camera position in that link. a young lad in a souped up yaris came out of the housing estate (knocknashee) and straight into me. his father paid for the damage; he'd literally only gotten the car that morning and his dad was terrified of getting the insurance company involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Had this absolute moron today nearly take me out in Cork City. Not even the correct indicator used before he decided to pull out in front of me on the wrong side of the road to complete a turn.

https://streamable.com/ae8xxo

Technically a hit. Cycling home from work, was about to get onto Walsh road in Drumcondra (beside the library and park. Car parked with lights on semi blocking the small cycle through lane. Went around it. Turns out he was letting someone ahead out who hadn't indicated at all, but still they were enough ahead for this to be fine and safe.

Then they stopped, so I stopped, then they reversed, and hit by wheel. Thankfully it was slow and I was on my tank. I was so f*cking angry with the though and get them a bit of an earful and told them to cop on and use their mirrors. Apologised profusely and was offering me money. I left them with a lesson in being attentive as all was fine with the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Just sent this email to An Post, will post reply if I get one!!

For attention of An Post vehicle manager, Dublin Region.

On Saturday 05/02/22 I experienced a very close and dangerous pass by one of your drivers whilst I was cycling on Aylmer Road towards Newcastle, Co Dublin. The vehicle which passed me was a Transit type van clearly identified with "An Post" logo and travelling in the same direction as me about 1 km from Newcastle. The time of the close pass was approx 10.09AM and conditions at the time were very windy. As you are aware the minimum passing distance for vehicles passing cyclists is 1.5 meters. Your vehicle was literally inches from my right shoulder and I could have touched it with my hand without having to reach out too far. As the wind was very strong your driver should have allowed even more than the minimum 1.5 meters. I'm sure you can identify your vehicle which I assume is fitted with a GPS tracker.

I would suggest that you speak to your driver and maybe arrange to send him/her for further driver training, as your driver is clearly unaware of their responsibilities in regards to vulnerable road users such as cyclists. Your driver would definitely benefit from further training and it may help to save a life.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,718 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is the carrying of missile launchers on top a regular thing in Cork now? Pea-souper fog or misty camera lens?

Imagine coming home and watching this back and only then realising how near you came to not making it home

huh. i'd seen the first half of that video earlier and thought 'nothing out of the ordinary?'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

There was all sorts wrong with what that driver did, but I’ve had worse happen. I’d rate quite a few of the videos on this thread as worse, too.

• Advertisement

me too. the one benefit of feeling the waft of air past your ear as a bus eireann wing mirror misses you by about 30 or 50cm is that you get a great surge of adrenaline and can blast it out for the next kilometre or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I used to get filled with such energetic rage at dangerous driving that I would inevitably chase down the driver and "have words", however either I've mellowed, I've grown out of that sort of behaviour or I've become inured to motorised idiocy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Agreed, but it isn't even close to my daily experience in Dublin, still all sorts of wrong. Shows you how even video can mislead though. If he only had a front camera you'd wonder why he was complaining, although I suspected the 2nd half due to the lorry's speed which didn't quite add up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had a good solo spin today wandering around Slade hill (near Saggart) but near home this driver on the N4 put a damper on it. Scared the crap outta me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Jesus wept 😫

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Very frightening! Please report that to trafficwatch.

does the original video capture the number plate? i assume it's just a blur.

I can make it out pausing it on 7 seconds. Didn't even realise the reg was in title.

ah, i can see that now too - the embedded video was playing in low res for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Trafficwatched just now.

Still, I love the sound of my the freehub on my Scribes!

Advertisement