Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think you mean it's the perfect amalgamation of kitsch, jank and carbonated beverages.

I think it's a decent game in a quick blast arcade type of way, even if it gets a bit too hard later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, just like the Zelda games on CDi

Finally beat Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Not sure why I never did but I'm guessing it's due to the absolute slog that is Stage 6 and 7 which are filled with Red Arremers who are a pain to deal with since Arthur can no longer aim upwards. It's even worse on the second run of the game as the bracelet in Super G 'n G sucks!!!

• Advertisement

SOTN...finally. The knockback is absolutely brutal versus what I'm used to in Aria of Sorrow, as too is the whole notion of getting stun-locked in a game that by all accounts had a decent QA. That said, it is rare I come across a classic like this and find it lives up to the hype — it's been an absolute joy to play thus far as I near the end of the inverted castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,486 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You waited a quarter of a century to play (arguably) the greatest 2d platforming game ever made? for shame! :pac:

Yeah it's some game isn't it? The first time I played it through I didn't know about the inverted castle at all. Played through it again about 5-6 years ago and finished it properly.

Edit - I just realised the gravity of what I said, 1997 is 25 years ago! so many amazing games that came out that year and now 25 years old, mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I’m still playing through the first Castlevania game. Can’t beat Frankenstein.

I also played the first chapter of MSR lately. I suck so bad at racing games!

The trick to Castlevania is using sub weapons to kill normal enemies. Doing so will make them spawn I, II and last III symbols that are a massive help.

That and cheesing the game by holding on to the holy water which is OP.

Master of the Universe

Speaking of vampire themed games, is anyone else playing Vampire Survivors on Steam? It's only 3 euro and looks like a homebrew 8 bit game but I'm absolutely beyond addicted to it.

Apparently the guy who made it normally makes betting games and wanted to use the same logic to make a really addictive videogame - he succeeded!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id2FfoIF5KE

• Advertisement

Had actually gave it a try before but PS1 Classics version on the PS3 (**** PAL version and all) does the game no justice at all. Not exaggerating when I say it felt like running though molasses. Took me an embarrassing amount of time to twig they were selling literally the worst way of playing the game for reasons only known to them and their god.

Started Maken X tonight.

It's a weird game. First person melee combat game made by the team that makes the Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games. It's got bags of style and weird as fook. Combat is interesting and feels a little like how Metroid Prime works if it was a melee game.... and a bit less competent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm playing a bit of the House of the Dead remaster on Switch, lots of fun and looks great.

It would have been nice to have had the original Arcade and Saturn titles too.

The Switch Joycon does a decent job of emulating a gun, too.

Master of the Universe

First time I played it was PAL too unfortunately, on a little 14 inch Commodore 1084 monitor. So not only was it painfully slow, a large chunk of my tiny screen was missing due to PAL boarders.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah was playing it before Elden Ring came out, it’s brilliant. Incredibly addictive considering how simple it is. Must go back to it actually, think I got to lvl 95 or something like that on one run, so much fun when you think you’re almost dead but manage to keep going for ages. 😂

Master of the Universe

Lv 95? Jesus the screen must have looked like absolute mania at that point!

How's Elden Ring treating you? I've been tempted to give it a go, recently bought Cyberpunk and it's not keeping my attention at all so might try that instead.

I've a question for you, why are you playing cyberpunk and not Elden Ring? Actually why are you playing anything that isn't Elden Ring.

Lets just say that Elden Ring is so good that when I finish it I'll have to consider what happens to my top 20 games of all time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think now that we're over the catastrophic launch and the rougher edges have been patched out, the more mundane reality of Cyberpunk is ever more apparent: it's just a very mediocre game underneath that pretty shell. Sure, it has some decent characterisation and missions here and there, but it's very much a game and a setting in search of a purpose.

Master of the Universe

Well there's a recommendation if ever I heard one! didn't realise it was meant to be that good - Not a George RR Martin fan so wasn't on the hype train in that regard at all.

Are you playing with keyboard and mouse or a controller actually? I've played through all the Souls games with a controller so would be nearly tempted to go that way with this too.

Controller. Not sure how you could play them with a Keyboard and Mouse.

Wouldn't worry about the George RR Martin connection. As far as I can tell he is on the cover as a 'presented by' type deal as the story and writing is pure From Software and makes absolutely no sense outside of a Vaati Vidya video. As a game, it's pure soulsborne but with an open world and design that might even be better than Breath of the Wild.

It's taken over my life.

• Advertisement

GRRM's input was always going to be limited on a product that actually got finished.

I'll try not to finish it before you!

Actually, you are safe, I haven't played it yet, but Cidonalad is not to far from the end of it, at least the end so far

I thought I was last night. The map just keeps getting bigger....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,109 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pfft, I finished it ten days ago. Hurry up :P

(It is a bloody massive game - I thought I put a lot of time into it at 80-odd hours in a month or so which is a lot for me, but already hearing of people with multiples of that).

Think I recorded some gameplay from it actually so must see if I can dig out a screenshot for the laugh - yeah it was manic.

As the other guys have said - Elden Ring is something else man. I bounce off most open world games (including BOTW) but not this one - mainly because to me it's Dark Souls 3 in an open world setting. Still has the typical DS style non-open world sections (castles and cities etc) but they're bigger and better in design - stunning stuff really. It's more forgiving than your typical DS game too which is refreshing.

Just over 91 hrs in and lvl 115 and still have a good chunk left to do - never feels like a slog though and I'm constantly impressed with new areas you find - sometimes completely hidden from the normal path too. Anyway, yeah, it's bloody great. 😂

P.S. I'm playing on PC too with a controller, no issues. It's only a smidge over 40 quid on cdkeys too so way cheaper than the console equivalents.

Master of the Universe

Oh you absolute beauty, I was mulling it over at 60 euro on steam but just nabbed it for 43 on CDkeys (a steam code too) thanks for the tip!

Good stuff! Look forward to seeing some updates form you over in then ER thread. 😎

And actually, I see Vampire Survivors is 10% off and down to €2.15 on Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1794680/Vampire_Survivors/ - bargain for one of the best games around that isn't Elden Ring. Oh I see there's lots more characters now too, were only 4 when I last played I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I haven’t touched Elden Ring in ages. It’s not very friendly for short bursts of gaming unfortunately.

I need to move my PS5 downstairs so I can play in the evenings without being in the same room where I work.

It's not conductive to getting to bed on time either.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Managed to fire up Elden Ring for a couple of hours yesterday, completely see what all the fuss is about. It gave me a similar feeling I got with the original Dark Souls, just on a far far bigger Breath of the Wild kind of scale. Couldn't put it down.

It's really nice being totally mangled by a boss and then being able to say '**** this' and go exploring instead.

I did still manage to get an hour in on Vampire Survivors too - decided to try out the controller seeing as I had it set up for Elden Ring and did far far better than I had been doing with the keyboard!

Advertisement