Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2% max rental increase allowed inflation 7% plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

That applies to you as much as me.

You think it should work one way and yet history shows another. You answered your own question as inflation goes up a no depricateing asset bought at an earlier point in time should eventually get more rent than the mortgage. It is just a matter of time even with recessions.

That isn't the issue the issue is government interference is causing private citizens to subsidize inflation for tenants. It isn't the market risk that a person can decide to take a risk on. The current risks are increasing due to politics that doesn't benefit the public when examined but make good headlines and fool the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

At least you can see it is a business and a person operating that business is a self-employed landlord unlike many who think it can only be a sideline and a landlord must also have a 'real day job'.

I try to look at things in a simple way. Afaik, any citizen who wants to invest their money or start any business, whether it is a shop, a property, a delivery service etc is free to do so. Some people are also employees, some not.

Anyone putting a big chunk of their own money into any business looks at the risks & returns and most have to borrow to fund premises or equipment or machinery or employess, it obviously depends on the nature of the business. Whether the loan is called a mortgage or start-up funding or whatever a bank wants to call it, it is borrowed finance and needs to be repaid. The investor/entrepeneur/sole-trader wants an income and hopefully a profit, that is usually the reason they make this choice in the first place.

But when the rules and regulations as well as the tax treatment in a business change drastically in a short time period, then the risk & return changes. Or, if other providers in the same sector have advantageous tax treatments because of government incentives, then people make a business decision to leave the business. If it is a small business or a one-man show, eg a plumber or landlord, the people affected most are the customers/clients/users of the service.

That doesnt mean people shouldn't complain or protest about the changes if it affects them as either the provider or the user of the service/business.

So we agree on that, if a business venture is losing money its time to get out, close the business, repay any debts and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Just reading your last line there and thinking to myself -

unless your customers wont leave your premises and are backed by the government in making you continue to supply them with goods while not paying for them. :) The government might even want to stop you ever getting them out of your premises so you can close up your business and get out of it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The poor poor landlords. My heart bleeds for them. What a tough situation they are in with their 10% capital appreciation in the last 12 months alone.

Now we're hearing this "but inflation!" crap. Funny how when inflation was officially at 0% or near it landlords had no problem upping rent by 10%+ a year pre RPZ and then when RPZs did come in, had no problem upping rent by 4% a year?

Wind yer neck in lads...even if you bought for 350k last year, you're sitting on 35k profit right now in just one year and that's before rental income is taken into account.

They are coining it and have made enough money, and thats why they are leaving. :)

But whatever the reason, rent is going up as supply decreases.

And there is certainly nothing being done to increase supply. Just the opposite in fact.

Imagine if everybody realized they could just buy a house and rent it out and they wouldnt have to work again apart from just sitting back and counting their money. But dont tell them they can do that. Sure everybody would be piling in to become rich landlords then.

• Advertisement

???

Rent is going up as supply increases. No idea where this supposed decrease in supply is happening?

And maybe some landlords are leaving the market. Does it mean they're leaving because they're not making money? Maybe they want to cash in while prices are high? Maybe they never wanted to be a landlord in the first place but are out of negative equity now and want to be out of it? In any case, landlords sell all the time.

People have realised they can just buy a house and rent it out and make money on it...the problem is only people with money to afford a 25% deposit can get in on it.

Funny that I have many members of my family who are landlords and not one of them are thinking of selling or complaining that it's impossible to get by. In fact one of them has bought another property to add to the collection.

Let's be real here, landlords are landlords to make money. They're not landlords to provide a service out of the good of their hearts. So if you can't hack the landlord life then sell up and stop whingeing and looking for tax breaks! It's not an airport, you don't need to announce your departure!

I will refer you to a post above. just open your eyes.

If you think landlords are not leaving and supply is increasing and rents are going down you really have got your eyes closed.

I spent 2 years researching it and had the money ready to buy an investment property. My conclusion after all my research was - just dont do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

No one was rushing to put in place minimum rent pricing when the arse fell out of the industry and landlords lost a fortune. Then it was "those are the risks" with a free market. But when rents go up the free market goes out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

i am out but there was no need for it and occupancy is higher in a rented properties , remember that!. If I was creaming it I would have stayed in. You need to broaden your view. you just like blame and glib remarks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭The Student

Seriously lads this thread is giving me a laugh. The rental market is completely screwed and we have those telling landlords to sell up because they don't understand business. Evidence shows small landlords are leaving the market in their droves and institutional landlords are replacing them looking for higher rents.

The ironic part is the anti small landlord sentiment on this thread. Remember the small landlord is most likely your local plumber, taxi man etc.

The personal attacks by some posters who think they know everything and are unwilling to engage in an actual constructive discussion does not bold well if these posters represent the general publics view on the rental market.

If this is a true reflection the rental market issues will never be improved never mind fixed.

• Advertisement

Since when does increasing supply mean prices go down? How many units have been built in the last 5 years? Come back to me with the answer, then we'll talk.

What was mortgage interest relief done for?

And come on...government have completely and purposely boosted prices. They put them up 30k overnight with the help to buy.

You lads are having a laugh. You'll not see many landlords driving 15 year old cars.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

You dont know what you are talking about soi whats the point. Read the news. Read the reports. Its all there for you. And then figure out what is causing rents to go up. Or you could just keep posting that the exact opposite is happening to what is happening. Doesnt bode well for your predictions for the future though if you cant even see whats happening in the present :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭DFB-D

Certainly no need for such a post. He has a point, increased supplies of houses has not resulted in decreased prices, nor has it slowed the rate of increases.

This was evident before the crash.

We have never had enough supplies to make a difference, and why would the industry do that?

BTW, I don't like your tone when you talk about being a landlord as a fools game. You are entitled to your opinion but you have never actually invested in property and I just don't respect your feedback on your research. If you had of bought 2 years ago, your capital gains would have been circa 20 to 50% in some areas, along with rent, so it's not true that we need to open our eyes.

We all know the risks and invest /stay invested anyway, the alternative is bank interest at. 00001% or negative interest, which is far less than the increases allowed by RPZ & capital gains.

We did have excess supply in the early 2010's. I am a landlord since pre this time and rents fell through the floor and tenants regularly moved around.

The risk v return point you make may not always hold true. Simple example you purchase a property and tenant stops paying rent, sales market is turning and you can't get tenant out to enable a sale.

By the time you get tenant out you make a loss on sale due to expenses incurred in initial purchase and subsequent sale and possible falling market.

The point of the above scenario is inability to evict non-paying tenant. If a person invests in property and they can't break lease that's their tough. If they can't sell due to no fault of theirs (ie can't evict in a timely fashion) then that's wrong.

Why should a landlord be punished?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

My tenants had a much better cars then both me and the agent when we eventually got the property back. The agents one was 2006 and mine was 2010 and they had a nice 2018 bmw . The agent even said it to them before asking for the rent they failed to pay and never did

But the recession was different, if you remember before the crash, supplies of new houses were increasing, but yet prices were increasing. I remember a report from 2002 saying Ireland was the one of the most corrupt countries in the Eurozone because of the relationship and accommodations made by the government to support property developers. That is not going to change easily,but on the tail end of that, there is opportunity for smaller investors.

The eviction of tenants difficulties is not a punishment, just a process, but I agree, it should be easier to evict those who don't pay. But then it should be easier to recover property stolen, debts owed, etc. No matter how you try to make money, there are pitfalls.

But still money needs to be invested and I choose to accept these risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Busterie

Landlords are now facing this charge of €40 per annum to inform the RTB of who the tenants are, even if they have not changes for years.

Can anyone tell me what the RTB have achieved since there were set up?

Now they want €40 to fill in a form which has no purpose.

• Advertisement

You do remember our "ghost estates". The property market was a casualty of the financial crisis as was job losses, tax raises, welfare cuts, reduced State spending etc.

However supply exceeded demand and properties could be purchased for below cost.

The State has backed the institutional investor to solve the rental supply to the detriment of the small landlord.

Risk v reward needs constant monitoring. I wish you well on your choice to invest. I hope you don't get stung by an overholding tenant.

Yes I do and that is recession for you, and supply was practically nil, but demand was vastly reduced and that was the issue. But that's not normal so not worth saying that increasing supply of houses will solve the issue, under no circumstances will councils zone enough land not already held by property banks, and no way will the already zoned land be developed in a way to reduce prices... Why trigger a recession panic?

Sure look it, overholding is low enough risk and hardly inevitable, but if I do have periods without rent, I can weather it.

I don't understand people are so risk adverse they forfeit the gains and think they are saving on the losses, but I respect their choice, they should respect mine, especially as history has shown that the majority of investors make worthwhile returns.

Supply was not nil. New supply was nil but existing supply exceeded demand so there was no need for additional supply.

The State will not rezone land and build for different reasons. The State is not capable of being a public landlord. We are all aware of those areas that have bad reputations because of the States unwillingness to deal with troublesome tenants.

It's political suicide to even suggest an eviction.

I agree overholding was in the past a low risk but my personal view as an experienced landlord is that this risk is increasing all the time and will continue to do so. If a small landlord gets caught it could spell financial ruin for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the RTB probably need the money to employ a website designer who actually has a clue this time , they recently changed their site and its even worse than the one before that , none of the tenancy information transferred over and it was left to landlords to re register , unfortunately the site wont work

RTB will probably need those annual fees to pay the extra staff they'll have to hire to manage all the deposit money they'll be holding - I read somewhere it could run to hundreds of millions and RTB will keep any interest on the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jmc25

Re the view that the government is "subsidizing inflation for tenants", for existing rentals the previous 4 per cent cap which was in place until last summer was considerably above where general inflation was during the entire period of operation of the rent cap.

I remember renting somewhere in 2014 for 700 and that exact apartment was advertised a couple of years ago for 1300. Presumably the caps slowed down the increases upon the introduction of the RPZs but that LL has certainly beaten inflation over the longer term, and had I stayed there, my own cost of living would have risen considerably more than the rate of inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh FFS.

You had it bloody great for a good few years.

I don't recall you and other landlords wanting to peg rental rate rises to inflation when you were jumping them up by 7%, 10%, 15%, in some cases even more than 20% when infation was running at below 2%.

Oh and I don't remember interest rates increasing at those levels neither.

Oh yes you will refrain about the market and pegging to the market.

Well the reason rental rates were even looked at by government was because you and others were price gouging and making it totally unsustainable for people to rent in this country.

And now you fooking want to add to the inflation and drive it even higher.

Oh woe is me the cost of repairs have gone up and the interest rates will probably go up.

What about those tenants of yours who are already facing much higher fuel prices, much higher electric prices, and much higher cost of putting food on the table.

I only saw this thread on the front page and felt your bitching had warranted a reply.

Don't bother replying with the usual shyte as I have better things to do than engage with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Assumptions and generalisations do not give facts.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Right now, there would be negative interest on holding that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Your assumption is every landlord entered the market at the same point and were raising there rent above market rates and all costs. Many landlords were losing money during the recession and needed to recoup those losses. More charges and taxes were added to landlords and every €1 cost increase it is over €2 in rent increases.

A landlord that bought a property 3 years ago can't match with inflation so is subsidising a tenant over inflation. The whole method of rent controls is a fudge to keep rent down for some with landlords subsidising the tenants.

Advertisement