Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goggles4u.co.uk 73% discount

• 04-04-2022 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭

Goggle4u currently have a 73% discount code

Code73

Not sure how long it will last but I got 2 pairs of varifocal. 1.67 high index. One of them sunglasses for €100 including postage in total

Post edited by SouthWesterly on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Google for you indeed! 😉

It's goggles4u:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Have used them before and they were great. In need of a new pair but it seems they will include customs/tax fees now unlike before (being that they're posting from the UK) Curious if you got hit with extra charges after your purchase??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sok2005

Just a word to the wise, I got charged about 17 euro customs on my last pair of glasses ordered from this gang.

Will let you know

Put through 2 orders under 50 quid each.

Says they manufacture in Thailand, USA and somewhere else. Not in the UK so I assume it's shipped from the manufacture site.

The optician today told me a similar pair from him would cost 350.

• Advertisement

If it's only 17e then that makes a pair of varifocal glasses under 70e. Still a good deal considering the alternative here was 350

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I'd doubt that.

The quality is poor. Lens quality and frame quality is right for the price you pay.

They always have so-called huge discounts, but when you get your delivery you will find that they are no near the quality you would expect of the fake RRP price they quote.

Been buying online for years. Never had an issue and my optometrist thought they were good quality when looking at what I currently had. So there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

I paid about 630 here for a pair lasted one month they ware the worst i ever had . got a pair on line no problem about 80 del ,, before Brexit . Needed a prescription for safety glasses for a job the usual suspects here tried to sell me everything sent every girl in shop to give me the hard sell. Still charged me for proscription should be free on Prsi..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Also been buying from these crowd for years; no issues with quality or service, and have saved a fortune.

Thanks OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭PreCocious

I've a rather strong prescription so need to usually purchase high-index lenses which puts the cost very high from an optician.

My "main" pair is always bought in an optician and for years I've been getting a spare pair and sunglasses from goggles4u.

I find the quality very good but I stick to the plastic frames which seem sturdier.

For the last couple of months I've been wearing a varifocal pair from them constantly as the pair from the optician has a dodgy hinge.

They regularly have discounts and I think the best value is in the cheaper 9.99/19.99 frame range without adding high-index or coatings.

They're shipped from the UK so there are charges - I ordered three pairs recently and got a customs demand for all three but two were delivered before the demand.

Changing my current pair after 3 years and only because the lenses got scratched from falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Appears to great prices with that code.

Although not many to choose from when you put in your specific frame size.

My current glasses are 54-19-140 Previous pair were 52-18-140.

If I input these sizes into the search box, I'm only getting 16 different frames to choose from

I had to choose xl and then it was hit and miss as to the size. Glasses2you have a better filter but at that price.... 😁

I'm not saying that they are rubbish. But they are basic quality.

They always have 65%-80% discount.

The discount is not real. It sucks people in and they believe the marketing blurb.

It's a big company. They are in the high volume market. The products will do the job and will perform.

But just don't think you are actually getting a gigantic discount. That's just marketing rubbish.

It beats being ripped off in the optician here for what is the same product

Even in Specsavers, the lens is better quality.

I can attest to that right now (have a googgles 4 u pair with me). Clearer vision and thinner

More expensive, but better. All I'm saying is that the quality is what you'd pay for the quality

Disagree with you as would my optamologist.

I've never had a prescription wrong online. Twice both with specs avers and vision express its been made wrong.

So much for quality

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

What do you mean by "even in Specsavers" - are you saying the lenses in Specsavers aren't as good as other opticians?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

I presume we'll be charged VAT and An Post fee when ordering these? Can anyone confirm that they put the correct import codes on the pack so at least they'll be delivered?

• Advertisement

I have some glasses on the way, will revert when arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

Like podgeandrodge, I have an order on the way, will let ye know what happens.

Having bought many pairs of glasses from both Goggles4u and Glasses Direct, I find Glasses Direct to be slightly better quality and they also often have better deals.

There are many other similar websites, including SpeckyFourEyes, but I have only used the two above.

This is 100% correct. They always have a huge discount on their glasses and rarely (if ever) sell them at their claimed RRP. The glasses Specsavers sell at the same RRP are far superior in every way.

However, at their "discounted" rate, the glasses can sometimes be cheaper (by a small amount) than similar quality glasses in Specsavers. But, as you state, you're never getting a "huge discount", and certainly not a 73% discount. It's all marketing.

If you're looking to buy new glasses, it's always a good idea to have a look here and see which websites currently have active deals and which of those deals are the best.

When I got quoted 600e in specs aver for their BOGOF offer I stopped buying in stores and bought online. Got 2 pairs for £100. With a higher index than I was ever offered In store

The £50 glasses you bought, which I don't believe you even have in your hand yet, are not as good quality as the €300 glasses. Not even close. They are more likely to break quicker, they have thicker lenses, they are more flimsy etc. The glasses you bought for £50 each could be bought in Specsavers for a similar price, maybe 10% or 20% more, maybe the same price, maybe cheaper. But they should not be compared to their €300 glasses.

Source - me, who has bought many glasses in both Specsavers and Goggles4u.

I am not suggesting that you buy from Specsavers (I myself currently buy from Glasses Direct) but you are not getting as big of a discount as you seem to be implying.

yes that is exactly what I am saying and I reckon Specsavers would agree . Specsavers model is mass market and they are very good at it and very good at getting you to add extras you don't really need.

Think of them as the Primark (pennys) of high street opticians. Decent, well priced, but not in the same league as many of the high end independents.

When you get your pair from goggles, compare the lens in particular, then look at the hinges. Compare it to others you have and you'll see the difference.

again, absolutely nothing wrong with the online discount sites and great as spare pairs or as prescription sunglasses for summer holidays or to have pairs matching various suit colours, but they do not have a genuine discount from a ridiculously high made up rrp.

Would you ever get over yourself.

I've a pair from goggles4u that I've had 3 years. Nothing wrong with the quality.

They are also 1.67 hi index lenses and fully coated. You wouldn't get that in any shop for 50e. My optician said those lenses would cost me 350 from him and knowing where I got them said he wouldn't even try selling me his.

If I didn't know better I'd say you work for specsavers. 😁

I've a pair from goggles4u that I've had 3 years. Nothing wrong with the quality.

I never said there is anything wrong with the quality. I said that their quality is not as great as €300 glasses, which is correct.

Your £50 glasses are likely the same quality as the cheap range that Specsavers sell plus their additional €80 fee for adding thin lenses. These glasses are often on 2-for-1 offers, therefore making them comparable in price to your "deal".

They are also 1.67 hi index lenses and fully coated. You wouldn't get that in any shop for 50e. My optician said those lenses would cost me 350 from him and knowing where I got them said he wouldn't even try selling me his.

I bought a 1.74 high index, fully coated pair in Vision Express for €130 about a decade ago. I would assume you could therefore buy glasses with 1.67 high index lenses even cheaper. It sounds like your optician is talking nonsense.

If I didn't know better I'd say you work for specsavers.

Well that just means you're not reading my posts. In all of them, I've said that I buy my glasses online and that I don't suggest buying in Specsavers. Perhaps take your time and read my posts a bit slower before your next reply.

I'm still confused.

I asked "are you saying the lenses in Specsavers aren't as good as other opticians?"

You said "yes that is exactly what I am saying and I reckon Specsavers would agree . Specsavers model is mass market and they are very good at it and very good at getting you to add extras you don't really need." - but nothing in that sentence tells me why the lenses in Specsavers aren't as good?

You then said they are "not in the same league as many of the high end independents" - what does "same league" mean? as far as lenses go - is there a quality difference in the makeup?

On what basis would Specsavers agree that their lenses are not as good? You said "compare the lens in particular, then look at the hinges" - compare the lenses how? What will tell me they aren't as good as Specsavers? You mentioned "Clearer vision and thinner" - I presume that the thinner lenses are part of the higher options that you can get with Goggles as well as Specsavers - I have purchased 2 pairs with Specsavers this week, and getting a couple of cheaper backups from Goggles, but still went for the same thin lenses. But "clearer" worries me - can you elaborate?

I'm happy enough to agree with Aristotle saying that the cheaper frames are probably not unlike Specsaver cheap frames, with Specsavers being probably dearer for the same thing. But it's the lenses I am focussing on.

• Advertisement

There are many types of lenses. (info from Google)

Basic plastic - cheap and cheerful.

Hi Index - thinner and also graded, so you even have different qualities in this

Polycarbonate - again thinner and lighter, but not as clear as hi index. Relatively cheap

Trivex - most likely what the better opticians will go for. Thinner, clearer and very robust. Used in a lot of rimless.

Some info here

https://www.gersteineye.com/blog/2018/12/the-differences-in-lens-types-for-glasses/

Advertisement