Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2% max rental increase allowed inflation 7% plus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭The Student

Actually you don't need to enforce a judgement mortgage. You can just renew same every 6 yrs by going before a judge and earn 8% simple interest on the debt until the ownership of the property changes either through a sale or the death of the party the judgement mortgage is registered against.

Renters rarely if ever have assets of sufficient value to discharge a debt for non payment of rent.

I asked for examples of business who keep supplying a service/product knowing they will not get paid for but are forced to do by legislation.

I suggest you review your references for ending a tenancy.

So I will ask the question again. Can you provide an example where good/service must be provided for in the private sector by law where the provider of that good/service knows they will not receive payment for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

Because they own the property and should be allowed charge whatever the **** they want imo.....don't mollycoddle just stay the **** out of a private citizens business.

All their meddling so far has done nothing but make the situation worse......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You know very little in reality. As I implied without explicitly saying it, your misspelling of "judgment" shows you aren't too familiar with the law. Your spellchecker will say "judgement", however the spelling of the word in legal use does not have an "e". Your "judgment mortgage" may indeed accrue (2% btw) but it cannot be enforced and when/if that person dies, the other joint tenant will own the property and owe you a big fat zero.

You come across with a very "public sector" view of what you consider "the real world". Would it be fair to say that you are a public servant?

There is no obligation to renew a residential tenancy agreement if you don't want to, and you follow proper process. I sincerely hope you are not a landlord when you don't understand the law in relation to the basics.

"The Student" rents out a property to Jim who stops paying. "The Student" then goes through the steps to evict him which will take time. That is technically a different issue. Jim has possession and you are trying to get him out. Nobody is making you rent it to him during that period as you aren't renting it to him. You just can't get him out and regain possession.

Pat does some work for John. He builds an extension. Pat does not get paid. They are all his materials. He cannot get them back. John has the use of them and Pat cannot regain possession. They are his possessions. He is still "supplying" them to John the same way that "The Student" is supplying a house to his non-paying tenant.

It happens in many businesses. You are not as unique and special as you might think. It is more a manifestation of limited experience of the real world.

Post edited by Donald Trump on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭The Student

With the greatest respect you don't know me. For your information I have successfully secured a number of judgement mortgages and have enforced a few so I will ignore your comments about my knowledge of the law.

If you are unwilling to engage in a constructive discussion then I pity you that you assume you know more than other posters.

Perhaps your approach to questions you don't want to answer is to attack the poster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭growleaves

'As I implied without explicitly saying it, your misspelling of "judgment" shows you aren't too familiar with the law. Your spellchecker will say "judgement", however the spelling of the word in legal use does not have an "e". '

That's just Grammar Nazism and lots of people are dyslexic besides. Not an argument.

You happy about planning regulations and restriction?

The value of your house and your rental income might be a lot less if the government stayed the **** out of private business and let anyone with a spare few fields throw up whatever houses they wanted.

Your rental income would also plummet if the government pulled all rental supports. Pull those few billion from the market and lets see how fast she sinks.

Be careful what you wish for..................

No it isn't. It is an indication that a person does not have that much experience in the area. Because it is a common mistake that everyone makes at the start and they learn to correct it fairly quickly. I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. Just pointing it out when they start quoting things at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

Look no denying you have a point and a good one at that but at the same time it completely goes against the grain with me that they should be setting any prices for what to me is a product....I'm paying the repayments, I cover the repairs etc, I have to deal with the risk/reality and loss of earnings that some tenants that wont pay and destroy the place wont be shifted for ages..... because the powers that be cant and wont impose law and order/fair play (something Govt should be taking responsibility for)...if landlords are leaving the market reducing supply its no wonder imo

everything they have done to date has reduced supply and driven prices higher or contributed to this outcome afaic and now they are trying to fix it (I dont believe they really are btw) by resorting to this populist bullshit which probaby just leads to more private landlords leaving the market and then the imaginary boogeyman will be replaced by a much less forgiving landlord Reits/property companies...that really know how to charge/squeeze/turn the screw no?

I mean to my untrained eye admittedly... it looks like they have made such a balls of this thing to date brown envelopes must be flying around the place like confetti at wedding or else they really are incompetent buffoons......another problem is subsidising a permanent social welfare class at the expense of the working poor....but nobody wants to take that on.....they shouldn't have to imo because it should never have been let develop in the first place and that happened imo as a vote buying exercise....everytime these people meddle it exacerbates the problem as far as I can see, maybe they should take a break and stop pretending to fix it for votes and actually fix it or maybe the system should reward them for making decisions for the majority of working families in the country.

I'd be happy with actual free market.

As I said, no regulations stopping me from building in any field I want as long as I can sell the houses. In the general area that I live, the local authority has designated random local fields as "rural clusters". You can buy a site in them currently for 200k+ if you satisfy "local needs". You wouldn't get a decent habitable house in this area for less than 500k.

Let's see how the existing 200k site prices get on when the farmer next door to the cluster can now sell a site for double it's current agricultural value and the person who buys it can probably pay for the site, and cover most of the cost of building the brand new house with the same 200k. And let's see how the fella selling the 500k barely habitable house gets on when someone can buy a site and build a brand new one next door for half that.

Get rid of the protections for house owners - including PPRs. When you fall behind on repayments, you're out on your ear as soon as the bank wants you out and they can do a firesale to recover their money. Let's bring those house prices down for everyone. We'll bring the cost of mortgages down by streamlining the banks repossessions.

And no more public money being spent in private rents. All public money to be spent on publicly owned houses. The state can build it's own or buy from existing stock when the price plummets. All those tenants that had HAP coming in but now can only pay what they can spare ..... well you can either come to an agreement with them along the lines of what they can pay or you can turf them out. Bear in mind that your place will be hitting the rental market at the same time as tens of thousands of other people.....I can't see you breaking through the previous rent cap you might have been worried about.

If/when there is another potential crisis like covid, no more mortgage holidays or flexibility.

Let's do it. You want to go on about being the one who took the risk, well let's have it so that you actually do bear the risk and aren't being subsidized indirectly by the State. The market is being supported by the State all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

These threads consistently come up. Always the same consistent complainers

Odd that have yet to see the same complainers get out of the game considering it's basically them now operating as a charity for tenants.

Must be alot of charitable landlords on boards.. funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭DFB-D

I think Donald Trump actually hit the nail on the head.

Property owners of all types are in a very good position in Ireland, there is no indication that planning laws will ever allow free competition to build a enough properties, so we benefit from capital gains in excess of inflation.

My own 2 cents, very little of legislation people are giving out about are new so I don't see that risk has increased at all. I mean people do give out about it but also there are many complaints about lack of protection from theft / consequences for offenders / traffic light sequences / weather etc, so that is not indicative. If landlords have decreased, I assume they are facing the same issues I am having sourcing a new property, I just can't seem to purchase one without competing with some crazy person who outbids all others no matter the cost. I have limits on the outlook of the market so I end up walking away.

Not do I agree that all landlords are penny pinching misers... Etc.

Summary: property investment in Ireland is an attractive investment with some risks. Be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

That skirting around the issue. I could get a 10,000 references from credible sources and the tenant could still turn around and stop paying rent.

Then I'm stuck. I've to continue to provide a very expensive service 24/7 for months and months with no way to have the cops remove them.

If you went into a bar. Ran up a tab and refused to pay. They would throw you out there and then. They wouldn't continue to serve you pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'm late enough the party but where does this "landlords are taxed at 52pc" statement come from. Tried looking into it but it seems that rental income is taxed the same as any other additional income?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭DubCount

If you add up Income Tax, PRSI and USC, the marginal rate of tax on many people is 52%. Thats true of Rental income as well as a bonus you receive in work, or income from a sideline business.

Its not quite correct to say rental income is taxed the same as any other income though. There are important differences on income recognition and loss relief etc., and some expenses like LPT, pre-letting and post-letting expenses etc. which are not allowable for tax as they would be for other "businesses".

The 52% is a discouragement to making an effort to earn extra money in any way. Is it worth doing overtime for €100 when you will only get €48 into your hand? Its the same for the effort and financial risk in becoming a landlord - it acts as a discouragement when we need more rental properties in the market.

Just to say, I dont think rental income should be taxed differently to any other business. Its a red herring in my view, with the real issues around tenant rights, RPZ and mad legislation being the real problem in the market

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No, PRSI has not increased for anyone.

What's different is that until a few years ago, PRSI wasn't payable on rental income. Now it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

If your summary is correct I would not have sold my rented property and my LL would not have sold his. Some ppl have the benefit of both sides of the coin.

Left with the prospect of not able to find another property to rent and kids in school etc etc is not nice.

Left with your major asset housing a family who wont pay rent (min 30% below market) with 15 months to get them out was nice either.

Both issues happened to the same person/family so all the anti LL stuff is just perfect in the virtue signaling world but not the real one.

I blame coveney, murphy etc for all of this mess.

You are not obliged to rent the property if you are not happy with the references. You could even leave it vacant until you get a tenant whom you have a trustworthy person that you know who will give them a reference.

If you get your pints and don't pay, the bar can throw you out if they want but they can't squeeze the pints out of you.

At the end of the day, whether someone enters whatever situation with their eyes open, or whether they didn't do their research, they are adults and entitled to make their own decision. The return on renting property is quite good. Basic 101 is higher risk for higher return. You can't demand the higher return and then start moaning if the risk is realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Well boohoo you should have known that before you got into property investment in Ireland then shouldn't you? You're an adult FFS its up to you to know the realities of the business before you get involved.

you just sound like a jealous child at this stage

• Advertisement

That's the point. The bar can throw you out. The landlord can't.

This is a new rule introduced after the landlord got into the business.

You can't say things like "you got into it with your eyes open" when the legislation for rent increases and evictions didn't exist when they got into the business.

How? Unless you expect me to have had access to a time machine and travel into the future when the government would introduce legislation that didn't exist at the time that would restrict the ability to charge a market rate or evict non paying tenants.

You are still enjoying the bars property when they throw you out. The drink is still inside you. The contract was that they supply drink and you give them money. You have the drink, and retain the benefit of it, and they can't get it back!

When your tenant stops paying you, you serve your notices and he is is effectively no longer your tenant. He becomes somewhat akin to a squatter to which you still have obligations by virtue of your obligations towards the property.

There were always regulations related to housing and the provision thereof. There were also always regulations related to real property and possession thereof. You might have learned of them the hard way but that is on you. You should have done your research. Regulations also change over time. Again, if you learned that the hard way, that is unfortunate for you but try to see the positive and look on it as a learning experience.

risk<-->reward. If you want the reward and take the risk then suck it up if it is realised.

The law will assist you in regaining possession of your property. You just have to go through the steps. You can wish for there to be no law so that you can try to retake it by force, but bear in mind that if there is no law, the person can also take it from you by force. So your wish would be fairly shortsighted. With no law governing ownership and possession of property, you might be a little upset to wake up in the morning to find a group of 10 families after breaking into your nice rental property and parking their caravans on your front garden.

heard that clown Bacik on the radio (NT) saying LL are cashing in. The interview was a platform before her push for leadership. She said there might be other reasons for LLs selling but we DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE AT THE MOMENT. -> honestly (HELLO!) you have to wonder the caliber of politicians we have.

I feel sorry for the tenants as they hoodwinked also and have to deal with the lack of leadership

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

The PRSI & USC rate is the same as other self employed people.

Just curious but if rental income is treated the same as self-employment, does that mean landlords who didn't receive rent during covid were entitled to the income supports the same as self-employed?

It's the height of self-delusion to refer to someone who has a property that they allow someone else to live in exchange for rent in as "self employed" (You introduced the term). Are you paying a self-employed stamp for example?

What next, I buy one share of AIB and if it pays a dividend I'm now self-employed?

If you are an actual professional landlord, set up with a proper structure then you might have some point.

Why are landlords selling? They might be expecting this to be the top of the market and want to cash out.

Anytime you buy, there will always be a seller. Any landlord who is selling, is also selling to a buyer!!!

No hard lesson learnt here. I've had a great tenant for years so never had to kick anyone out. Also, I charge a fair rent that is 20-30% under the market rate so I never hit the issues with raising rents. But because it doesn't hurt me doesn't mean it's not unfair to others.

I sold for lack of security of the property and being gimped under market.

Ppl were selling up way before prices went mad also. RTB figures show this.

• Advertisement

Are you still having difficulty with the risk<-->reward concept?

You need to take on bigger risks to get bigger rewards. That reward is your compensation for that risk. That you are compensated in this matter is overall, not specific to every single individual (else there would be no risk). It is up to you as an investor to manage that risk.

You yourself manage it by giving a good tenant a discount and acknowledging the benefit of having that good tenant.

Why should you, as part of overall society, bail out your next door neighbour who instead decides to let in a tenant who has a history of court cases in the local paper for trashing houses and not paying rent, but who pinkie promises to give him 20% above the market rate. Your neighbour has 300k in the bank. He can leave it in State savings for 5 years and earn 9k on it in total. Or he can buy the house and your man promises to give him 25k a year. So he buys the house and the "tenant" stings him. Should you then cough up to replace that 25k per year? Because your neighbour was the one who took the risk

If you want risk free investments, then invest in risk free options and be happy with risk free returns.

Advertisement