Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orban party Fidesz wins election in Hungary

• 03-04-2022 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭

Not only that he won, it appears he won by a landslide and may have over 50% which will make opposition powerless for the next 4 years.

4th consecutive term, 12 years up to this day with another 4 in front of them... He must be doing something right isn't it?

Comments

That’s rather depressing. It seems to be another country that’s a fan of strong man tzar type leadership.

It will be interesting to see if he continues to not undermine EU sanctions on Russia now that the election is over and he has been reinstalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭patnor1011

That is a pickle. It seems that he is trying (or at least pretend) to look at interests of his own people first, and that of course is not compatible with EU sanctions. Unwillingness to cease oil and gas import since you do not have any other alternative and refusing to allow weapons supply can hardly be classified as undermining EU sanctions. While they are members of the union he is first and foremost responsible to work for wellbeing of citizens of Hungary.

Also Hungary took about half a million ukrainians so far which is quite something considering they are of the poor part of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭growleaves

Orban should send a thank-you card to the Mayor of Munich for helping him to consolidate his base with that rainbow UEFA stunt.

Well that took long:

Viktor Orban, Hungary's authoritarian leader, calls Zelensky an 'opponent' after winning reelection

I'm kinda wondering if I even want to be in the EU if this is the direction a large chunk of it is going. If Le Pen gets elected in France, I honestly think the EU's done.

Years of being dragged around by various far right Euro Trumps.. sounds grim.

Domestically, press freedom has dropped drastically under Orban. On top of that he's actively been regressive on LGBTQ rights. So ya, lots in common with how Putin has handled things tbh. So the wellbeing of citizens, he's pretty poor on tbh. Suppose you're gonna go on a rant about LGBTQ propaganda to justify those laws now...

It is sort of telling what posters tend to back the tyrants though. Invariably they believe in some pretty outlandish COVID conspiracies and seem to be happy for some minorites rights to be rolled back. Plus Orban pushed Soros conspiracies too which suits them.

• Advertisement

The opposition leader got 5 minutes on TV and radio throughout the campaign

5 minutes

An EU country

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ultimately unsurprising. He's gerrymandered his way into power by exploiting his popularity in rural areas and the war did him a big favour in the polls. He's not Putin, but not a democrat either in how level the playing field is for other parties. It will be interesting to see how his relationship with the EU goes post-war. He's smart enough to back the sanctions but based on his track record to date that relationship can only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭foxsake

hooray for Orban!

A leader you'd be proud to have , not bending the knee to globalism or WEF-esque sh1tehawkery.

The world needs more of his type and less Trudeaus or would it be "less Trudeaux?" .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Fair play to the Hungarians. If a party like Orban's stood in Ireland the bought and paid for "newspapers" would have them evicerated before they could get a foothold. A leader who puts his country ahead of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What does Trudeau have to do with a European election, especially a fixed one, and what is WEF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...and who says 'democracy' doesnt work!

Fidez was a big enforcer of masks, green passes and pressurising the unvaccinated in general so don't see why Orban would be a favourite with covid conspiracy types.

Putin also very draconian with regard to vaccine passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Given Trudeau recently addressed the European parliament about 2 weeks ago... - and he is lauded continually by the European esp irish press and politics ( oddly little comment on his recent adventures into the realm of "emergency powers") - so more than you think or more that you are willing to consider cos I think your response is a lame attempt at derailment rather than any reasonable comment.

But I said "more trudeaus" as in his type of individual not particularly him - but you knew that .

As for not knowing what the WEF is .... educate yourself or ask better questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

When you pretty much stifle everything in a democracy - the media, courts etc...it's pretty hard to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

When that moron Trump got elected a few years ago, I was appalled but I thought "The American system is constructed primarily to inhibit the introduction of tyranny. It doesn't prevent the country from being badly wrong (there was majority support at various stages of the American republic for slavery, segregation, racial hierarchy, and all manner of other evils and their supposedly "freedom-loving" second amendment is something that the rest of the democratic world resolutely refuses to emulate) but it does greatly diminish the chances of an autocrat having carte blanche to impose his or her will on the public without inhibition. Let's put our faith in that."

Ditto for the EU and clowns like Orban. It can't invalidate the elections there. It can certainly point out the democratic deficits and insist, under pain of sanction, that they adhere to the minimum standards required of an EU member state. So fine: the people of Hungary voted for Orban. Good luck to them. They made their bed and they can lie on it. But if they want to stay in the EU they have to meet the minimum requirements of independent judiciaries; basic human rights; freedom of movement of people etc etc

That's what we can hold the Hungarians to account for and we should.

I'd take that over the Irish politicians who go: 1. Me, 2. the EU, somewhere well down the list: The actual citizens of Ireland

...so the Hungarian's are well looked after under this chap?

Would that be like McEntee appointing her own judges? Or Varadkars "investigation" into something he admitted in the Dail taking forever?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I'm taking a wild leap of presumption here and guessing that your name implies you have a strong admiration for the Fox "news" network (my parenthesis) which is after all a "mainstream media" outlet.

Your demonisation of other media organisations whose values you so fear is quite pathetic in this day and age. Traditional media has never been less powerful. With social media and the atomisation of fact gathering and opinion presentation the likes of Google, Facebook, TikTok and Instagram are far more influential than the staid old Irish Times and state media broadcasters such as RTE and BBC.

You want to make an argument? Then make an argument but whinging on about the Big Bad Wolf of the MMM is idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

yes he's learned well from his mate Putin about how to rig elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Thinking Orban is some kind of good guy is pretty much a textbook case of stupid binary "The enemy of my enemy must be my friend" thinking.

It's perfectly possible to be strongly critical of the EU and still recognise that he's a real scumbag.

Well he was voted in, in a landslide. So.............he must be doing something right for them.

every election the west (or the interests groups in the west) don't like are rigged.

but the ones they do like - Biden for example - are definitely fair.

Rigged votes happen for sure but it's it surprising the only one where the moaning gets much traction are the ones the usual suspects don't like.

wild presumption indeed.. my handle is a play on F*CK SAKE.

I can accept that criticism but it's misguided - I don't really pay huge heed to MMM but it does drive conversation or at least initially drive on the internet to a large degree and that is where I connect with it.

The MMM also gets a free pass from Google and other big Tech in terms of censorship controls.

also politicians who drive so much in our lives don't often interview on podcasts (for example of new tech ) they interview for BBC, Sky and in Ireland RTE and Virgin. MMM never has been less relevant (agreed!) but still has huge relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Who would have thought that anti immigration stance would be so popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Irish politics are in the sewer, but nowhere near half as bad as Hungary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Definition of false equivalence.

The difference is those small examples were called out by the media etc.....won't be happening in Hungary

Advertisement