Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Hurling League 2022 Discussion

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It's weird how they haven't addressed the full back issue, and with The Rock in the management team....

Just pick somebody and stick with them, let them grow into the role

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

That little ticket with the cup is the best thing to happen to the GAA in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Agreed, well and truly found out tonight, it's all well and good beating the likes of kilkenny but Waterford are different gravy, they'll murder them in the championship.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Delighted for Waterford, they were a better team than the rewards they got since 2017.

Still dont think they have the stopping of championship Limerick however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭MfMan

Tipp and Clare managers should sleep a little easier tonight. Limerick and Waterford look nailed on to emerge from Munster but last year's beaten finalists would no longer seem to be third favourites. Cork could represent Ireland at the Olympics in the relay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭conor05

I think the exact opposite.

I think Limerick will find it hard to beat Waterford in the championship

Or is the gap between Waterford and the rest of the pack huge? And will the gap between Limerick and Waterford still be too big?

Limerick and Waterford just way out in front of everybody else? Unless Shefflin can band Galway together...

Cork might still whip Tipp and Clare - wouldn't be surprised, would you?

What are you basing that assumption on?

Surely odds are that limerick would be heavy favourites and Waterford would find it difficult to beat them?

Yeah, I just can't see that Cork back line holding up runners like Hegarty, Morrissey, Lynch, Gillane...

They set up to run at teams and keep running at them...that's great but... you need to set up to stop runners too... another full back line hung out to dry.

• Advertisement

Agree about Cork trimming Tipp and Clare.

Galway are gone for a while imo.

You've no business trying to stop Limerick when the spine of the team is over 30 like Galway's is.

Limerick and Waterford are setting the pace, but Waterford have yet to show they can cause Limerick problems in Championship.

On their 2 most recent finals' performances, I rather think I would. Cork's relentless running system masks deficiencies that become apparent when the system breaks down. Porous FB line, lightly-marking HB line and inconsistent forwards. It's not hard to consider Limerick, providing they recapture their form, and Waterford being clearly ahead of all others currently. Shefflin might knock a tune out of Galway but their forwards are just as inconsistent as Corks, plus he has yet to settle the team and address the lack of pace in the middle third.

I’m basing that assumption on current form and I think Waterford are showing the greatest form out of all the Munster teams albeit in the league.

But the time gap from league to championship this year is unprecedented and unless Waterford completely go off the boil in a few weeks I think they will be the hardest team to beat in Munster this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Great win for Waterford. The 6 pt differential flattered Cork.

Losing 2 major finals in 8 months is very bad for Cork psychologically. Tonight they look a long way from bridging the 17 year gap to the 2005 all ireland. A lot of work to do to get their heads right aswell as the hurling.

Waterford are the best Munster team in the league.

Championship is a different beast.

Limerick have the best team, and the best manager, id be confident they will peak again at the right time.

Not a Limerick fan BTW

On the basis of championship 2018-2021 Limerick have to be favourites.

But they can't afford any red cards against teams like Waterford. On any given day anything can happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Cork were lucky with the ref against Kilkenny. Not so tonight. Some analysts got carried away with the Cork win, choosing to ignore Cork's deficiencies in defence and their luck with the ref. One notable journalist getting totally carried away with the Cork win is John Fogarty Irish Examiner.

Have a read of his article, link attached. My message to him - much as you'd like, Sean Stack can't ref every Cork match.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40838906.html&ved=2ahUKEwjPwpjlk_b2AhVlmVwKHUagDlMQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2VajqfBSPpcSMeaWZGOjgg

Limerick had the best team and had the best manager in 2021.

This is 2022, so let’s see how it plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭davidx40

Cork beat a very poor kk team wouldn't read much into that ......without question now Waterford definitely have the best squad into country by along way too...... there blessed with pace everywhere ....I'll be amazed if they don't win the All Ireland

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

But didn't that poor Kilkenny team beat Waterford by 6 points 2 weeks ago?

It's the league. I wouldn't be amazed to see you amazed.

True, but Waterford had already qualified.

Kingston looked shook tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

The GAA need to look at that stamp by O’Donoghoe. If Gleeson can get himself a ban for a harmless flick, then O’Donoghoe should be sanctioned for his shameful act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,139 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Delighted to get a League title in the bag but championship is a different beast

They've done everything correctly in terms of balancing the defence, getting smarter with when to foul, when to get back to track runners and when to slow to things down. As you outlined, their strength in debt now is very impressive. Waterford always had great forwards and players, but now they have a defensive system as a unit that is looking very tough to break down - that's a huge forward step.

They're also playing a style of hurling that suits Waterford. That bit of freedom in attack and bit of expression combined with solid defence.

Derek McGrath had them stifled a bit. It's a really thin line between getting the balance right between defence and attack. I haven't seen a team go for goal like tonight since Kilkenny in their pomp. Tipp 2010-19 also loved creating goal chances.

Personally I love that. Call me an old man shouting at a cloud but death by thousand long range points bores me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,445 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭threeball

Waterford, Limerick, Cork in that order right now imo.

Galway haven't a prayer this year I think and have actually gone backwards under Shefflin. His long ball, win it yourself style is the last game this Galway team should be playing but he seems to think it worked for KK for years so it should work for them.

KK the most likely winners in leinster but wexford will push them to the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Agree with what you say apart from the order. Limerick are still the team to beat in the championship and taking away my bias head I still think they have a better team then Waterford and will peak at the business end of the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Waterford still have a lot to work on.

While they are more clinical in front of goal, the service to the forwards was terrible for the most part , first half especially and some poor decision making in the middle third resulting in cork turnovers.

I dont think last nights performance would have troubled a championship Limerick . Still the team to beat.

Hopefully they can work on the above in coming weeks and bring it up a notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Do the GAA need to have a look at the league structure its the same teams being relegated and promoted it cant be good for these teams being like yo yos

Yes but not for that reason. We have tried some any different formats to help those teams out and nothing works because league formats don't make a bit of difference to development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,545 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Fresh from an embarassing defensive display in the All-Ireland final last year, it's great to see the hype around Cork remains when there are no signs that they have a) tightened up or b) unearthed any new top class defenders. Fur coat with no knickers.

Limerick will maul them in a few weeks.

Actually think Galway missed a trick not appointing Davey Fitz, he would have lit a fire up their hole which is exactly what they need. If Galway were the fittest team in Ireland they'd be there or thereabouts.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭terryrogers

It'll be interesting to see if the Sunday Game zones in on O'Donoghue's stamp. If it was a Limerick player you can be sure they'd give it a segment coupled with examples of "playing over the edge" dug up from previous matches.

Ya but he tends to leave the place a charred mess after. Although Wexford do seem to have adjusted ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

I wouldnt call it a stamp now.

not a stamp where to accelerate into the person, looked like he was on one foot and stepped on the player.

Yellow in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,139 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is the Division 1 trophy a new one ?

Crikey, Henry is hardly a wet week in the job with next to no chance yet of putting his own stamp on the team, and ye're already ousting him! Galway yet don't have much pace in the middle third so maybe have to stick with playing the ball longer. Cork are the corollary to that - a team of relay-runners all through with a decreasing amount of end product up front.

Lots of hype around Galway and Shefflin this year, maybe I'm wrong about the Davy snub, only time will tell.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,923 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I think that hype really died down once things flattened out for Galway after a good league start. Galway scored just 4 goals in the league, all happening in their opening match. That's fairly frightening.

• Advertisement

Teams getting written off left, right and centre. It's only the league.

So many teams have been setup for huge falls in hurling and football after winning the league.

Galway, Dublin, Limerick, Clare, Tipp etc are all well capable of springing surprises, working away in the background.

Great win for Waterford, but they knew as soon as the silverware was collected it means nothing in terms of the championship.

Calling Shefflin's tenure a failure without a championship game played is ridiculous beyond comprehension.

Beating Limerick was a big part of the hype at the time but that isn't looking so amazing in retrospect. Overall I think Limerick made a lot of teams look good this league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I'd love to believe galway are going to be useless because then kk will probably get a handy run through Leinster and just have to hope to avoid Waterford and limerick in the semi to have a very good shot of sneaking into a final.

But galway aren't going to be anything like as bad as the League. Shefflin had no time at all with those players before it kicked off, I don't he targeted it in the least. Add into that he missed a lot of it due to the tragic loss of his brother and you can read nothing into galway yet. They lack a bit of scoring up front but I really don't expect them to play one dimensional hurling in the championship (someone earlier saying he is just applying what worked on kilkenny, obviously never watched his ballyhale team play. Would be shocked if they went route one all summer tbh)

Post edited by Realt Dearg Sec on

If you think you need to sneak anywhere you probably are not good enough to win the All Ireland in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭farmerval

Waterford were incredible; Cork were a shambles; but only six points in it at the end?

Saturday night was a strange game. Full of mini patches of dominance for both teams. The third Waterford goal completely ended the game. Cork seemed to have no plan on how to create goal chances it was all either plan A. really slow passing s=around defence before finally a long ball into the corner for Hoggie or Connolly, this yielded 3-4 frees for Hoggie, that was the total return. Plan B. Carry forward and shoot from distance. Plans A or B didn't allow for goal scoring chances.

Mark Coleman won a great ball and stopped the ball going out for a 65, regained his feet and sent a super ball to Barrett crossing the Waterford 65, first early ball Cork got into their forwards, he ran forward and popped a point. If the same early ball was delivered to the Waterford forwards would they have settled for a point??? I don't think so.

Waterford are currently extremely fluid, Patrick Curran scoring from distance and popping a goal from 10m yards, Stephen Bennett scoring from close range and 90 yards, there is great fluidity within an extremely cohesive structure, in every situation they all seem to know what each other are doing, they're all on the same page. Cork look the opposite, when the version of hurling they want to play isn't working out, they look lost, like under 12's who can't understand why they're losing.

If I was a Waterford person I'd be very annoyed with Derek McGrath saying they're the team to beat.

Whatever you believe, in your own mind, you don't start putting pressure on your county in public. The Kerrys and Kilkennys play themselves down, stay out of the limelight and keep the heads down. At one stage I thought McGrath might have been jealous of Cahill and blowing Waterford up for a fall.

Certain counties are 'hype' counties, prone to getting carried away. My own county Laois, is one. When we won minor all irelands in football in 1996 and 1997 Sam arriving soon was only natural! The two biggest hype counties since the mid 1990s are Mayo and Waterford. Back in 2017 John Mullane was losing the run of himself going to ride naked in Waterford if they won. Fan were beyond hyper. Some of that effects teams. Players have to live in that environment. John Maughan or David Brady, without fail will announce Mayo are going to win before an AI final. Mayo and Waterford share that manic support. Now it's great craic etc but it only leads to a roller coaster. Too much energy ends up being invested in this side show.

• Advertisement

Wonder did Cahill let the lads out on the piss for a few days, hopefully he did they deserve it!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,933 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I know we're not goog enough to win the All Ireland, not sure how that contradicts what I said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The hurling league is completely unfair on the likes of Laois, Antrim, Offaly and Westmeath. These counties need to be competing in the old Division 1B. Whatever format is good enough for Division 2A should also be good enough for Division 1B.

Division 1B counties have previously won the All-Ireland. It was evidence that 1B was providing competitive hurling before the Championship.

I know that 1A managers were fighting tooth and nail to avoid 1B. That was their fault for not finding the right balance between competitiveness and development.

Advertisement