Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Coverage

• 27-03-2022 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if I'm missing a trick. I was looking forward to lovely relaxing day of GAA football on the TV. Last round of the league. Places up for relegation and many permutations still open as to who will make the league final. Logged onto the net to see what m TV schedule would look like - to see what the line up of the games would be. I know the games are on at the same time in each league. But presumed they would be doing the deferred coverage, like every other week.

To my dismay (and maybe I have misunderstood something) - all I can see between RTE and TG4 is the Dublin/Monaghan game. And that's on TG4. I cannot see anything at all on RTE. How could that possibly happen. I haven't Sky. Can it be that sky have the rights to the other matches to stop RTE/TG4 showing them. Surely it cannot be the situation that the powers that be, when they were do their scheduling were thinking about it. "mmm, I wonder who we'll put on today. Mayo in with a shout of the final, Armagh in with a shout" etc. But then some brightspark decided "naahhh - lets show the match with the teams that did rubbish in the league".

But at least TG4 have something on. What are RTE at? The last day of the league. And someone decides - no, we won't show any matches today. Let's instead show a film that was made almost 70 years ago and another film about the Lough Ness monster, which nobody has any interest in.

Shocking, unless as I say I have misunderstood something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yes OP you are misunderstanding something.

TV broadcast rights.

TG4 own the rights to Sunday National League games.

RTE own the rights to Saturday night National League games.

Sky don't own any rights to any National League games so your conspiracy theory can stop there.

Because it's the last day with so much at stake all games start at the same time.

So TG4 can only show one.

Monaghan v Dublin is the only game that the result can create a clear cut outcome.

The loser is relegated.

All the others have various ifs and buts about them.

So because of that and because it's Dublin facing the prospect of relegation, it's as good as any to show.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

They are showing the Dublin game live.

They are showing the Hurling semi final live.

They are showing Offaly V Cork relegation game deferred.

As always, TG4 doing an outstanding job for showing GAA in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

GAA should be streaming any match on GAA Go not being shown on TV. But the coverage has generally been fair. Maybe the rights should be changed to give RTÉ a Sunday match but give TG4 the first pick of the matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Fair play to TG4, updates and clips from the other games. Can you imagine RTE bothering their arse doing soemthing like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Simple really,

RTÉ have the rights to Saturday games

TG4 have the rights to Sunday's games

RTÉ show 2 hours of highlights of the weekends games on a Sunday evening

Sky don't have any rights to Allianz League

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Is the picture on TG4 juddering like mad for everyone or just me?

Very positive reaction on social media to TG4's coverage today, hopefully The Sunday Game production team take note

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Brian017

Well there would have been a very negative reaction if they didn't have anything to keep people up to date with other scores and the "as it stands table"

I'd fault them though for not having the score from the other games in the top corner when they cut to those games to show a point or goal being scored.

My Irish is so so and I was not sure when they cut to the Kildare or Donegal games who was actually leading those games.

Also don't see how it translates to The Sunday Game.

Today was a rare day where so much was in play in all four games.

Such does not happen in the championship, so cutting away from Cork v Kerry in Munster to show a score from Monaghan v Tyrone in Ulster would be superfluous.

They had a graphic to show us that Jack McCarron looks at the goal before he shoots. Quality analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭amlinopta

TG4 made a reasonable fist of it overall but their graphic with the league table and points difference was incorrect nearing the end of the Dublin v Monaghan game; inexcusable really:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭amlinopta

When Dublin equalised, they put up a graphic of the table showing Dublin safe from relegation in sixth place which was incorrect. I think this was because they had the points difference for Kildare incorrect. Monaghan’s last point made no difference to Dublin, they needed to win to avoid relegation.

Yes I noticed that and I thought that the draw would save Dublin based on the table TG4 showed, but apparently not.

Also at one point they had Mayo with a scoring difference of +114, rather than the far more likely +14.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

This is moreso for their hurling coverage, but am I going blind in older age, or do they zoom out the camera an awful lot on the hurling coverage. I feel they are trying to show more of the field as people are so interested in the teams layout/formation/tactics - but this results in it being almost impossible to see the tussle for the ball between two players.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭AUDI20

NO I had the same problem all. day with that juddering effect on TG4. Same problem last night on the highlights on the Sunday game on RTE2

• Registered Users Posts: 25 challengerbell

TG4 had super slow motion replays for league and club games what seemed like years before RTE managed it for championship games.

They also brought in replays with the live game in the bottom corner where as I think RTE still show multiple replays and the game has already restarted.

They keep it simple, commentator, co-commentator and 3 on the sideline for analysis but they are innovative in their production.

The Sunday Game in the evening is pathetic. Lucky to see 2 minutes of a game and they talk rubbish, and on the odd occasion when an interesting topic is touched on, once the allotted time is up, its move on regardless.

They also love to shove the hurling on to the end of the show if theres only a hand full of games played so you have to sit through it or try and time it where as it could have been 1st up and done and dusted early.

We would be better served with a 1 hours show on a Monday and another on a Tuesday where all games with cameras could get 10 or so minutes of proper highlights.

My Irish isnt great but I can still absorb 75% of the sideline talk and about 90% of the commentary.

One show I miss was TG4s 'Seo Spoirt'. That was a really good show, it made TSG look like amateur hour.

I was referencing The Sunday Game to encompass all RTE's coverage which in general i think is very lazy. tbh wasnt paying too close attention to TG4, had it on in corner while glued to Mid West, just think they have always been very innovative in their coverage as opposed to RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Had the exact same issue with TG4 on both Saturday and Sunday. I paused the live TV for a few seconds and then hit play again and it fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

I’ve often thought about how good it would be to have something like the NFL red zone for the leagues. It would have been super last Sunday with everything going on. It wouldn’t have to be for every score or decision just cut away from the main game for a few seconds, show the incident and back again. I know it’s apples and oranges in terms of resources but a man can dream😀

• Advertisement

Tailteann Cup could be a great competition but I wonder what is better. A dedicated weekend for knockout matches or hold them as curtain raisers to the senior knockout matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

The split screen live update will be useful for the last round of Leinster and munster hurling round robins. Only 3 teams to qualify and 4 top teams in leinster playing each other at the same time in the final round.

Also with the Media rights due to expire at the end of 2022 it would be great to see a new player enter the market to shake things up. Be that Virgin, or an online gaa go style player. The current rights probably restricted the amount of games that can be streamed live..

Will be interesting to see if sky keep the rights??

A mid week magazine show that did not include marty Morrisey could be great addition( sky did one last year) and splitting hurling and football Sunday game style review shows during the summer could be a positive. One of the shows could be on a Monday which would allow more times to analyse games at the weekend instead of squashing hurling into a half an hour at the end of the Sunday game..

Also I'd love to see off the ball get some of the gaa live commentary rights back from rte..

Good points especially about Off the Ball, their coverage and build up to their commentary games was excellent, especially for some of the lesser counties, they got great exposure

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

Best thing that could happen would be RTE losing all coverage. I doubt that will happen but they deserve to, their lack of coverage, poor analysis, promotion etc is holding back the sport now.

Virgin Media really should make a hard go at it, as it's guaranteed ratings for them if they give it a go.

I think Off the Ball will get radio coverage and while I don't agree with much of the political stuff on there, nobody can say their coverage of GAA isn't way above the rest and doesn't leave RTE in the dirt. If they had a TV channel they'd do well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

Tailteann Cup will flop, isn't been given the promotion or coverage it needed. Again that's the GAAs fault, the broadcaster will probably barely show the final.

Look at the Division 3/4 coverage and promotion this year for a clue how it will go. Division 3/4 finals Saturday will be in a virtually empty stadium with below 10k fans for a double header.

Best thing that could happen would be RTE losing all coverage.

What a stupid statement.

You are aware that it's not up to RTE or any broadcaster to show more coverage.

They buy rights to certain game packages or highlights from the GAA and can only show what they have bought.

So their "lack of coverage" as you call it is for the GAA to sort out not RTE.

And as for virgin getting rights, you can expect 2 mins slots of pregame/HT/FT analysis interspersed with 5 mins of ads between them.

RTEs coverage is as good if not better than any around.

But what promotion does the Tailteann Cup need or deserve ?

It's a competition for the 16 worst teams in the country.

Unless you are from those counties there is not that much to get excited about.

Do people really like watching the teams in the bottom half of the premiership play each other ?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I think it's all about how it's packaged.

Avoid scheduling clashes with the Sam Maguire games, for instance if Carlow were playing Leitrim on a Friday night knockout game I'd certainly stick it on the telly with zero skin in the game myself.

Your example is a poor one.

Anything other than a Saturday or Sunday is a bad time for GAA because of the amateur nature of it.

If the GAA scheduled Carlow v Leitrim for a Friday night they would be showing less respect for the Tailteann Cup than if they put it on on a Saturday or Sunday busy with other games.

• Advertisement

Don't know why Friday night games keep being proposed. It's not going to happen in an amatuer sport.

Advertisement