Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picard 2x05 - 'Fly me to the Moon' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 31-03-2022 6:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Picard 2x05 - 'Fly me to the Moon' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode. Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

My god could they not come up with a better title for this episode than that?

Out of curiosity has anyone ever seen the episode titles in the episode themselves or do they not do that anymore? I have never noticed them anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yeah well for some reason like Discovery they don't show the opening credit's till like a third of the way though - by which time you'll have already fallen asleep. That explains it.

Post edited by AllForIt on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

That bit at the end , are they 'borrowing' from Farscape now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

I thought it was ok - intriguing elements - probably the weakest episode thus far

Standards are high so i expect more as the season progresses - Q is fascinating this season

interested to see what everyone else thinks

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I dunno, I thought it was stronger than last weeks episode. I was braced for three episodes of filler before they ramped everything up in the last two episodes. I find this Soong more interesting than any of the others (to date, there's a million of them), and I think that there was a lot in that episode moving everything forward. I'll handwave away the convenient different characters, same actor stuff, though when Soji appeared I was thinking that this is the origin of the Borg. That card Q printed off on the printer was, unless I'm mistaken, very similar to the Borg emblem?

I'm more interested in why Q is sick. Did his fecking around with the timeline cause these problems, like Braxton in Voyager? He lays the blame on Picard so presumably it's all wrapped up together.

Jurati being assimilated (or halwfways at least) makes sense, and was predicted. I'm a bit confused why the cop wasn't assimilated though. It makes no sense considering what we know of the Borg, and presumably one drone ambling about 21st century Earth can cause a lot more trouble than a mildly confused Jurati....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I figured the cop was just bait, as the queen ultimately wanted to the more valuable and potentially even willing Jurati. A willing drone being more useful in establishing a new hive mind than the unwilling cop.

I presume this means the queen from the first episode is really the fully assimilated Jurati then.

There's still a few plot threads not expanded though. Namely, what's wrong with Q, since that apparently is the trigger for the entire thing, and what's the true nature of Laris and Tallinn. Tallin could've easily explained away her appearance as being copied from Picards mind, except she claims ignorance. Is Laris going to be retconned into being Tallin all along? After all, what better way to watch over Picard, except by running his household.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

Nice nod to Worfs Foster parents ancestors.

Meh apart from that. Gary 7 buddy was a serious letdown apart from the orders scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

And those are great questions! Though I think that the crux of the season is going to hinge on Picard and Q's problems, which is interesting. The Laris thing I'm a bit unsure of, I hope they don't go along the lines of she always had to keep an eye on Picard, but what if she is Q, or another Q, that is keeping track of it all? Either way, the story has me hooked so far, and bar the usual nitpicking I felt that the episode was too short, because I wanted more of it.

I'm beginning to think that the queen from the first episode isn't Jurati though. I think it might be Soji. Q messing around with a Soong doing biological research with a terminally ill daughter, I have a hard time seeing them not having either Q giving some technological breakthrough, or Soong wandering across some broken Borg tech.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Jurati being setup as an obvious Queen candidate could easily be a fakeout. Soong turning to borg tech to save his daughter would be a lot more creative. Or Soong could just make another. I suspect, and I've also seen others suggest, that she's a clone, if the entire Soong line aren't also, given how he hesitates and then gives a twee non-answer when asked about her mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

Still getting the panto vibes from this a bit. Enjoyable enough anyway though.

The show looks really nice too, though I'm starting to think the cast probably spent a day or two up in Canada using the Disco and SNW sets to film those 'future' scenes in the first episode. Now it's all LA sunshine and really, you mightn't think this episode is Star Trek at all from looking at or even watching most of it.

I hope there's something more to be said about Orla Brady's character [not] being Laris. Bit odd otherwise.

Frakes directed this episode, btw. And Lea Thompson, who directed the previous two, has a small guest spot.

• Advertisement

If you want obscure easter eggs, the two computer errors from the simulator run, reference two real errors that occurred on Apollo 11 and 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Finalllllyyy assimilation!!! 🙂

Enjoyed that episode. Things moved along just fine. Q losing his powers still a big huh in the room. Not the first time but still.

All that said though.. just FREAKIN WOW! .. well done Mr Frakes for that excellent nod to Worf and the Klingons and the Klingons and Soong all just put together in one well wrapped scene! Sooo many nods all at once. Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

Jurati is not the Borg queen.

Crystal ball may be ⚽😂

Why not old flesh robot Picard? Nothing stopping him from being queen and coming back to fix mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that episode - lots going on, will rewatch over the weekend

Some interesting takes above about the Borg Queen - but I can't see this as being some precursor to future events...though Q did bring TNG to the Borg...so is he the one that kinda created them but weren't the borg in existence for thousands of years before the Enterprise meet up? I need to stop looking for connections here and just enjoy a great series

Isn't that like the perfect title for the episode??? Europa...Jupiter 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭sioda

Very Baltarish vibes from that last Jurati scene. His spleen is in a box over there 🤣

Good episode tbh and the story nicely tips along.

Ms

That was an excellent episode. I really enjoyed it however I do think the Queen would have just assimilate the Policeman and then used him to assimilate Jurita.

Actually after watchingcepisodexI suppose it's not a bad title for it except its not Earth's moon they are preparing to go to but one of Jupiter's moons.

I liked the Soong in this too and always good to see Brent Spinner back acting he always gives it his all and Q and him together was brill.

I loved the ending where Picard goes to show the supervisor his crew lol and what they are doing. She must have been like what have I just got myself into lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

IMHO this one was a bit filler-ish but still somewhat better than last week.

Did anyone actually think that Agnes wasn't assimilated though? Plus that gendarme and his spleen too, most likely.

Rafi was quite funny when asking picard about the supervisors resemblance to Loris

And, its way past time time to give the Soongs a rest ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

I thought it was a bit meh.

The queen in the first few minutes reminded me of the way the Cylon Hybrids used to natter.

Q's feigning innocence in the second episode is kind of undermined because he's directly involved.

Harvey-Queen wasn't something I expected.

Does anyone else get the sense that episode and the last were just there to pad out the season? I can't see most of the screen time being relevant later on.

Lore:"Often-Wrong's got a broken heart. Can't even tell his boys apart."

Soong: I'll have you know Lore, the men in my family line have always been indistinguishable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Since the Queen had a tentacle to nab the police officer then why didn't she use it before, say on Jurati when they were alone together.

Anyway I hope Soji's prominent appearance in this episode was a one off. Don't want to be reminded of all that synth stuff from season 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭pah

I see the logic of the writing is back to season 1 levels of horseshít.

Can't beam Rios out of the bus because it might affect the timeline (sorry - how?) But we can leave a dozen lads free who were not supposed to be to butterfly effect their way around the place. 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Sparko

Didn't they beam Seven and Raffi out of the police car too, pretty much in full view of the cops chasing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,023 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thought it was way better than last week. Gave you a lot more to think about than The Fast & Furious with tacked on Trek bits.

I was thinking that at the time. One of those dozen could be space Hitler.

Oh lord that was terrible.

Soong again? Enterprise augments episode was enough, this is too many times to the well.

Picard is now a chosen one, just like Michael. His family are now core to the timeline. 7 seasons and 4 films and we never hear of this pioneer of space travel??? I'm sorry, Picard may have been closed off but there is no way we would not of heard of the first trip to the outer planets and the first sentient life...

Letting a dozen temporal butterflies just float on out of the bus?

Borg queen is an assimilation threat again? She has a several metre long tentacle, how has that not got assimilation tubules? She also now has control of the ship because she can mimic a voice? Bad enough that they did that, with Data, in TNG.

Ms

Because all of the illegal immigrants would have seen it and that many people seen it in one place means it could not be fake so must be true quiet how it would change the timeline and the police seeing it I do not know. Maybe they thought the policemen would not talk of it for fear of looking mad and maybe losing there job but the illegal immigrants had nothing to lose so they would talk about and who knows maybe become famous and even powerful because of it.

I think of the immigrants off the bus running away but it is not like they were bad people they were just illegal immigrants.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭pah

Would have been a much more poignant scene if Rios had to lock all the immigrants back in.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Firstly this series overall is more enjoyable than the first which was way too complicated. Plus seemed to change Picards character. Loving children and suddenly having heart ache over the loss of one crewman after how many losses.

I still think Stewart is too old for this.

It's good to see John de lancie again. Great actor who never really got a big part outside of trek.

This season in particular it's very obvious how much Stewart needs to be kept out of the action.

Picard and Data was always a thing though as was Picard and his nephew and Wesley so he is all for kids when he has a connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Picard adds to it with his experience as the captain. If they chose someone new then the series would not have the allure. My thinking is they will remove Picard at the end and maybe leave Seven in charge if Patrick Stewart gives up on the role. Loved the light hearted banter between Rafi and Seven, added a nice touch but the Borg queen getting shot ..I went fu*kin hell, I didnt see that coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭corkie

@Liberty_Bear You do know there is only 3 Seasons of which all have been filmed?

Last season it was just weird how much was made of Data's death affecting Picard but the dozens (hundreds?) of other officers he lost under his command, including his one time and possibly last best friend Jack Crusher, didn't faze him as much.

I actually didnt! But now I know! I was going along the lines of Enterprise where Michael worked herself up to team captain. And Picard makes reference to the Enterprise and Kirk so knowing his past experience he relayed his experience on to the 'Supervisor'. But thanks for that link, I'll have a read!

• Advertisement

He risked everything to save Data that one single officer in First Contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Michael? Enterprise? You meant Discovery right?

It's a little more complicated than that. If he didn't try rescue Data there was a chance he would be assimilated and prevent first contact like the fake out at the end.

Mea culpa yes..sorry! (is there an embarassment emoji!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I still can't help but see this as a TNG two parter or an Enterprise 3 parter. I get fans like a bit of crossover and nods/winks but this is taking the piss. Its also painful to watch Picard try to do anything, a great actor but reduced to this, could the writers not have written it better, leave him with the ship, leave him with the queen, watch him try to hold it together as an aging captain, trying to restrain his anger for the borg against the need to get home or fix the timeline. Lots of great avenues to go down. Also Brent Spiner is done to death, let it go, not everything has to be connected. It could have been a decent 3 part mini series, now its making Discovery look like high level art. Don't get me wrong, all of the actors are great, the choices of them were great and I love their acting (except the romulan kid but I blame the directors for that). But the waffle to make a 3 part story into a tolerable 10 part story, solely by fluffing historical fans is jsut rubbish.

Sadly I will still watch it but I really shouldn't.

On Spiner I was saying we had way too many fking Soongs about 3 Soongs back.

Ms

I Agree Eleanor was terrible. Did not look Romulan at all. Looked like he had just come off the set of Lord of The Rings.

No great loss. I hope he does not come back.

As for still watching it nothing wrong with that at all compared to Discovery which really is trash.

At least Picard the series has improved in season 2 unlike Discovery in any of its seasons.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Rawr

A bit weaker this time, but still thankfully a good watch. Jurati was less annoying this week, which was welcome, but the Borg Queen herself is now taking her spot as the most annoying character on this show. She's gone past the Cartoon Villianess stage on Voyager to this campy shadow of that.

Her failure to assimilate that Police Officer didn't make any sense. She had the nanoprobes for it, and having a working drone would have made it much easier for her to also take Jurati. Jurati's "assimilation" is also pretty annoying. Having the Borg Queen secretly hijack Jurati smacks of the annoying Tumor Ghosts they liked to write into Greys Anatomy episodes. I keep coming back to that hospital drama, because I fear that this is the standard for most of the new crop of screen writers. I fully expect the Borg Queen to be chumming up with Jurati as this annoying "Imaginary Friend" who she will have to talk to.

Picard's reasoning for Jurati to be their person at the NASA Gala also gave me flashbacks of how they used to inject contrived reasons for Micheal to be main crew member to be involved in a given Discovery mission. It did not feel natural and even in-script they sort of question this. It could be partly bad writing, or even some kind of screen-time guarantee since Alison Pill has second billing in the credits. I hope they improve there.

Despite all those rants, still watchable, and still hopefully able to stick the landing when we can get to the season end cliffhanger. I have fears, because I sense their bad habits are starting to break though an otherwise very solid beginning.

Why should it not be Jurati ?

Don't know where people get these notions about contracts and credit placing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Rawr

It's more a gut-feeling than anything concrete, and of course could easily be based on nothing at all. When I noticed that her name came right after Steward's it just made me wonder why. Typically in a Trek show that would usually be where the actor playing the First Officer would go, or more to the point the show's second lead. Jurati seemed to be more of a secondary side-kick in Season 1, and yet also got second billing for some reason. Higher position in the billing can be sometimes quite important to hollywood actors, I'm guessing because people's attention starts to glaze over after the first 2 or 3 names in the intro. Getting the higher billing without a role that matches, suggests the possibility of some form of deal.

I'll sometimes cart out this little example of how silly things can get:

This interesting arrangement of text was the result of arguments / negotiations between McQueen and Newman about who got "first" position on the billing for "The Towering Inferno". Eventually they settled on McQueen being the first on the left (because some people read that way) and Newman getting the higher position, because some people read that way. You'll even notice that Newman's picture is slightly higher than McQueens. It's not the worst poster in the world, but it's kind of all over the place for the sake of ego.

That's why I start getting a bit concerned when I think I detect this behavior in a Trek show, where an actor's ego might get in the way of the quality of the production itself. Hopefully this is not the case with Alison Pill and that Picard continues to be a good watch.

Apologies for my segway into this kind of stuff. For some reason in the later years of TNG-era (Specifically in DS9 & Voyager) I had started to get interested in how the cast contracts actually worked in Trek shows. I had started to learn how head-lining actors would somehow be guaranteed a line in any given episode. You wouldn't notice this in TNG, but I had started to pick up on them making up reasons for Quark or Neelix to turn up when the plot didn't really need them. Felt like a case of the plot serving the cast instead of the other way around. I guess my interest in this sort of thing followed me forward into the current batch of shows :P

Contracts dictating positions in credits/poster and relative screen time has been a thing in Hollywood since at least the 70's. If it's not alphabetical or order of appearance there's been some negotiation of who goes where. It's the also reason you sometimes see the last person billed as "and also starring" because it's seen as more prestigious than anything else after second billing.

Towering Inferno is the earliest case I can think of where Newmann and McQueen contractually had to have an equal number of lines and also resulted in the off set in the billing on the poster because about half of people will read top to bottom and the other half will read right to left.

The kicker is it's not necessarily the actor demanding these things but their agents/management because more prestigious clients means more money for them.

Snap @Rawr

Also weird thing I just noticed, the post time is UTC but the edit time is IST

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

why didn't he tell Guinan that they had, met before in a previous time travel encounter?

• Advertisement
Advertisement