Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Picard 2x05 - 'Fly me to the Moon' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

• 31-03-2022 6:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

Picard 2x05 - 'Fly me to the Moon' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode. Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

My god could they not come up with a better title for this episode than that?

Out of curiosity has anyone ever seen the episode titles in the episode themselves or do they not do that anymore? I have never noticed them anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yeah well for some reason like Discovery they don't show the opening credit's till like a third of the way though - by which time you'll have already fallen asleep. That explains it.

Post edited by AllForIt on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

That bit at the end , are they 'borrowing' from Farscape now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

I thought it was ok - intriguing elements - probably the weakest episode thus far

Standards are high so i expect more as the season progresses - Q is fascinating this season

interested to see what everyone else thinks

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I dunno, I thought it was stronger than last weeks episode. I was braced for three episodes of filler before they ramped everything up in the last two episodes. I find this Soong more interesting than any of the others (to date, there's a million of them), and I think that there was a lot in that episode moving everything forward. I'll handwave away the convenient different characters, same actor stuff, though when Soji appeared I was thinking that this is the origin of the Borg. That card Q printed off on the printer was, unless I'm mistaken, very similar to the Borg emblem?

I'm more interested in why Q is sick. Did his fecking around with the timeline cause these problems, like Braxton in Voyager? He lays the blame on Picard so presumably it's all wrapped up together.

Jurati being assimilated (or halwfways at least) makes sense, and was predicted. I'm a bit confused why the cop wasn't assimilated though. It makes no sense considering what we know of the Borg, and presumably one drone ambling about 21st century Earth can cause a lot more trouble than a mildly confused Jurati....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I figured the cop was just bait, as the queen ultimately wanted to the more valuable and potentially even willing Jurati. A willing drone being more useful in establishing a new hive mind than the unwilling cop.

I presume this means the queen from the first episode is really the fully assimilated Jurati then.

There's still a few plot threads not expanded though. Namely, what's wrong with Q, since that apparently is the trigger for the entire thing, and what's the true nature of Laris and Tallinn. Tallin could've easily explained away her appearance as being copied from Picards mind, except she claims ignorance. Is Laris going to be retconned into being Tallin all along? After all, what better way to watch over Picard, except by running his household.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Nice nod to Worfs Foster parents ancestors.

Meh apart from that. Gary 7 buddy was a serious letdown apart from the orders scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

And those are great questions! Though I think that the crux of the season is going to hinge on Picard and Q's problems, which is interesting. The Laris thing I'm a bit unsure of, I hope they don't go along the lines of she always had to keep an eye on Picard, but what if she is Q, or another Q, that is keeping track of it all? Either way, the story has me hooked so far, and bar the usual nitpicking I felt that the episode was too short, because I wanted more of it.

I'm beginning to think that the queen from the first episode isn't Jurati though. I think it might be Soji. Q messing around with a Soong doing biological research with a terminally ill daughter, I have a hard time seeing them not having either Q giving some technological breakthrough, or Soong wandering across some broken Borg tech.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Jurati being setup as an obvious Queen candidate could easily be a fakeout. Soong turning to borg tech to save his daughter would be a lot more creative. Or Soong could just make another. I suspect, and I've also seen others suggest, that she's a clone, if the entire Soong line aren't also, given how he hesitates and then gives a twee non-answer when asked about her mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭eadrom

Still getting the panto vibes from this a bit. Enjoyable enough anyway though.

The show looks really nice too, though I'm starting to think the cast probably spent a day or two up in Canada using the Disco and SNW sets to film those 'future' scenes in the first episode. Now it's all LA sunshine and really, you mightn't think this episode is Star Trek at all from looking at or even watching most of it.

I hope there's something more to be said about Orla Brady's character [not] being Laris. Bit odd otherwise.

Frakes directed this episode, btw. And Lea Thompson, who directed the previous two, has a small guest spot.

• Advertisement

If you want obscure easter eggs, the two computer errors from the simulator run, reference two real errors that occurred on Apollo 11 and 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Finalllllyyy assimilation!!! 🙂

Enjoyed that episode. Things moved along just fine. Q losing his powers still a big huh in the room. Not the first time but still.

All that said though.. just FREAKIN WOW! .. well done Mr Frakes for that excellent nod to Worf and the Klingons and the Klingons and Soong all just put together in one well wrapped scene! Sooo many nods all at once. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Jurati is not the Borg queen.

Crystal ball may be ⚽😂

Why not old flesh robot Picard? Nothing stopping him from being queen and coming back to fix mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well I thoroughly enjoyed that episode - lots going on, will rewatch over the weekend

Some interesting takes above about the Borg Queen - but I can't see this as being some precursor to future events...though Q did bring TNG to the Borg...so is he the one that kinda created them but weren't the borg in existence for thousands of years before the Enterprise meet up? I need to stop looking for connections here and just enjoy a great series

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Isn't that like the perfect title for the episode??? Europa...Jupiter 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

Very Baltarish vibes from that last Jurati scene. His spleen is in a box over there 🤣

Good episode tbh and the story nicely tips along.

Ms

That was an excellent episode. I really enjoyed it however I do think the Queen would have just assimilate the Policeman and then used him to assimilate Jurita.

Actually after watchingcepisodexI suppose it's not a bad title for it except its not Earth's moon they are preparing to go to but one of Jupiter's moons.

I liked the Soong in this too and always good to see Brent Spinner back acting he always gives it his all and Q and him together was brill.

I loved the ending where Picard goes to show the supervisor his crew lol and what they are doing. She must have been like what have I just got myself into lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

IMHO this one was a bit filler-ish but still somewhat better than last week.

Did anyone actually think that Agnes wasn't assimilated though? Plus that gendarme and his spleen too, most likely.

Rafi was quite funny when asking picard about the supervisors resemblance to Loris

And, its way past time time to give the Soongs a rest ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

I thought it was a bit meh.

The queen in the first few minutes reminded me of the way the Cylon Hybrids used to natter.

Q's feigning innocence in the second episode is kind of undermined because he's directly involved.

Harvey-Queen wasn't something I expected.

Does anyone else get the sense that episode and the last were just there to pad out the season? I can't see most of the screen time being relevant later on.

Lore:"Often-Wrong's got a broken heart. Can't even tell his boys apart."

Soong: I'll have you know Lore, the men in my family line have always been indistinguishable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Since the Queen had a tentacle to nab the police officer then why didn't she use it before, say on Jurati when they were alone together.

Anyway I hope Soji's prominent appearance in this episode was a one off. Don't want to be reminded of all that synth stuff from season 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭pah

I see the logic of the writing is back to season 1 levels of horseshít.

Can't beam Rios out of the bus because it might affect the timeline (sorry - how?) But we can leave a dozen lads free who were not supposed to be to butterfly effect their way around the place. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭Sparko

Didn't they beam Seven and Raffi out of the police car too, pretty much in full view of the cops chasing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thought it was way better than last week. Gave you a lot more to think about than The Fast & Furious with tacked on Trek bits.

I was thinking that at the time. One of those dozen could be space Hitler.

Oh lord that was terrible.

Soong again? Enterprise augments episode was enough, this is too many times to the well.

Picard is now a chosen one, just like Michael. His family are now core to the timeline. 7 seasons and 4 films and we never hear of this pioneer of space travel??? I'm sorry, Picard may have been closed off but there is no way we would not of heard of the first trip to the outer planets and the first sentient life...

Letting a dozen temporal butterflies just float on out of the bus?

Borg queen is an assimilation threat again? She has a several metre long tentacle, how has that not got assimilation tubules? She also now has control of the ship because she can mimic a voice? Bad enough that they did that, with Data, in TNG.

Ms

Because all of the illegal immigrants would have seen it and that many people seen it in one place means it could not be fake so must be true quiet how it would change the timeline and the police seeing it I do not know. Maybe they thought the policemen would not talk of it for fear of looking mad and maybe losing there job but the illegal immigrants had nothing to lose so they would talk about and who knows maybe become famous and even powerful because of it.

I think of the immigrants off the bus running away but it is not like they were bad people they were just illegal immigrants.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭pah

Would have been a much more poignant scene if Rios had to lock all the immigrants back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Firstly this series overall is more enjoyable than the first which was way too complicated. Plus seemed to change Picards character. Loving children and suddenly having heart ache over the loss of one crewman after how many losses.

I still think Stewart is too old for this.

It's good to see John de lancie again. Great actor who never really got a big part outside of trek.

Advertisement