Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Spotted a number of Aircoaches recently around Donaghmede and Kilbarrack road out of service. They are not normally down this neck of the woods. I wonder is it route training?

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Private hire work I believe. They didn't have any new licenses issued as of last week.

The latest rumour on the Dublin Airport bus market is that CityLink, will be looking at launching a semi-stopper, which is somewhere between the non stop service and their stop everywhere bus, so they'll have three routes between Dublin and Galway.

If true, that's clearly a defensive move against Aircoach, whose strategy was to go to a semi-stopper to give Maynooth, Athlone, Ballinasloe a faster service than the stop everywhere standard CityLink route. Personally I have my doubts whether they would get a license for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Looks like truck driver had a medical issue, could of been a lot worse.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Any sign of Aircoach returning to a pre pandemic service in the foreseeable?

Talk about a potential increase of services in Spring.

It's worth noting though that both Aircoach and Dublin Express have added extra services in the past couple of months or so to their routes, but of course they're not up to normal frequency yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

With the 703 going through town, and Airlink gone, there is now no express service from North Wall and the Point to the airport. The last stop for Dublin Express service before going through the port tunnel is at the hotel just after CHQ ...it's so strange that the new service doesn't stop anywhere further east.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Demand must still be low for the Aircoach, and still no Dublin Coach from Dundrum or Airport Hopper from Tallaght/Maynooth

Both the 702 and 703 stop at The Point as first stop from airport and first stop to airport

The schedule is a little irregular though right now.

Yeah saw that, I'm on the early parts of the 702 and no early morning service 2/3am is proving a bit of an annoyance for the early flights.

AIRCOACH SUBSTANTIAL SERVICE EXPANSION ON 700/704X FROM 3RD APRIL

Aircoach has now announced changes on the 700 and 704X which increase frequency of these services with effect of 3rd April

700 Dublin Airport - Leopardstown

• First bus to airport now 02.00am (was 03.30am)
    • Last bus from Airport now 01:25am (was 00:25am)
    • Frequency increased to every 15 minutes for much of the day with further extra services at weekends.

704X Dublin Airport - Dublin - Cork (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thurday)

• New 2am service from Cork to Dublin Airport (but number of daily departures stays the same)
    • 1 additional service from Dublin to Cork
    • General tweaks to timetable.

704X Dublin Airport - Dublin - Cork (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday)

• New 2am service from Cork to Dublin Airport
    • 3 additional services from Cork to Dublin/Airport
    • 3 additional service from Dublin/Airport to Cork
    • General tweaks to timetable.

Post edited by devnull on

• Advertisement

DUBLIN EXPRESS EXTEND OPERATING HOURS FROM AIRPORT ON ROUTE 782.

Dublin Express have also announced three additional departures with effect of this week

• 23:35 ex Dublin Airport
    • 00:05 ex Dublin Airprot
    • 00:35 ex Dublin Airport

Post edited by devnull on

Good to see.

Hoping to see the 702 get earlier operating hours in the summer for my own trips

NEW DUBLIN EXPRESS ROUTE 784 FROM FRIDAY 8TH APRIL 2022

The route will serve many of the stops that the Dublin Bus Airlink 757 used to serve.

• 3 Arena (East Wall Road)
    • North Wall Quay (Docklands)
    • Eden Quay (O'Connell Street)
    • Trinity College (Hawkins Street)
    • Pearse Station (Westland Row)
    • Merrion Square North
    • Charlotte Way (For Harcourt LUAS and Camden Street)

Further details expected to be released in the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Was doing some digging around and spotted this on bustimes.org:

If this is indicative of the final timetable, I hope it is improved upon in the near future - earliest arrival to the airport is 10:25!

I've had a look at the proposed timetable and it's very noticeable that between the 782 and the 784 services they will have a service leaving Dublin Airport every 15 minutes during the hours when both are operating.

It seems to be

• xx:05 / xx:35 ex T1 for the existing route 782
    • xx:20 / xx:50 ex T1 for the new route 784.

AIRCOACH ROUTE 703 - LATER SERVICE FROM AIPORT ADDED FROM 3RD APRIL

From 3rd April 2022, an extra departure ex Dublin Airport to Dalkey will operate at 23:35 (previously last service was 21:35)

This is in addition to the more comprehensive 700 and 704x expansion from the same date that is outlined above.

Not a great start for the expanded Dublin Express and Aircoach services this weekend.

Dublin Express

Dublin Express website only allows you to book tickets from the airport and not from the city centre and even then the booking page seems to hang when calculating the total price after selecting your journeys.

Their new route as well for a return booking seems to suggest that each leg is £4.66 each way, which is a bit of an odd amount. Even if you add it together it's still strange at £9.32 and looks suspiciously like a sterling price that has been converted.

Edit: on nationalexpress.com they are showing up as £4 each way so probably they have been set in Sterling. How many of their own staff do Dublin Express actually have in Ireland? Are the operational staff all contractors and most things ran from UK?

Aircoach

Meanwhile Aircoach have a shortage of drivers so have already cancelled a couple of services today and six already for tomorrow. With that being the case and them advertising for drivers, I can't see any increase in frequency on the 702/703 in the next few weeks like some were hoping for.

They've also rather incredibly decided to only open their customer services avenues on weekdays right now also, which for an airport service provider, is quite incredible and not really in line with quality customer services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Why the hell would Aircoach only have the customer service staff available on weekdays only. That is incredibly stupid carry on. With all of the news reporting about the lack of check-in & security staff being present at Dublin Airport for the last week or so; It does magnify the significant failures that are going on at the airport at the moment.

Was there a lot of people looking for Aircoach customer service during the weekend?

Aircoach had staff at the airport and at Cork and some Dublin stops.

By customer service I meant via phone and email as well as social media.

New airport service called "airport hare" seems to be in the works, going from Tallaght via Citywest & red cow, along with some other hotels. A higer coach with an Airport Hare livery has been photographed in Rosslare port over the past few days. Not sure who the operator is. Website is up but still a WIP:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I am surprised it has taken this long for Citywest to get its own Airport Service. As to why Dublin Coach didn't seize this opportunity given that they pass Citywest all the time is beyond me. In any case, I wish Airport Hare all the best with this new badly needed service.

Word is that Corduff Travel might have something to do with it.

Aircoach are due to make an announcement about their services next week. Not sure exactly what it is, but perhaps it is the announcement of acceptance of LEAP Cards on the service, as I know they've been working on it with Ticketer for a little while.

Unless there's another announcement being made later on this week, I'd take it this is the rumoured announcement for this week, no leap card news as of yet.

Yeah, I was thinking it might be the Leap announcement as the MD has recently spoken that they were hoping to go live with it for the summer, but it seems it was something else.

Latest on an expanded schedule of the 702/703 is they are hopeful to do so later in the summer. There's the belief that if they were to add any more runs to the current schedule, based on current staffing availability, they'd be risking the reliability of all routes operated by Dublin based staff.

Better to have a reliable airport service less often than a service that misses random trips. I know it's not good news for people on those routes, but there is only a finite amount of resources and it's better to have a less often dependable service than one that is in theory much more regular but is unreliable and making people miss flights.

All operators are seeing the effect of this situation due to shortages and COVID, Dublin Bus and Go-Ahead also, and it's a large part of why the BusConnects changes are being pushed back also as there simply isn't the driver availability to operate the extra services.

Some changes to Aircoach online bookings just confirmed.

• Tickets for the 700 service to/from the airport are now valid on a stand by basis for 12 hours either side of booked departure time without needing to purchase the flexible booking add-on.
    • Online tickets can now be booked up to an hour before departure on selected services (was 2 hours across the board).

CityLink Galway to Dublin Airport update.

• There is now a new 23:00 stopping service from Galway to Dublin Airport (arriving at 02:35 am) serving all of our commuter towns to allow extra travel time for passengers to get through security due to recent delays at Dublin Airport.

Confirmation that the service will be operated by Michael Corduff t/a Corduff Travel under service number 769.

No launch date as of yet.

Aircoach customer service is now open 7 days a week again as effect of this week, still fairly short hours from 8.30am to 5.30pm though.

In relation to service expansion from Aircoach and Dublin Express, it's believed that both operators have vehicles to do it, but they simply don't have the driving staff in order to be able to increase timetables without risking the reliability of the service.

Both operators are openly recruiting staff, with Aircoach now working with the Irish School of Motoring to train new drivers and also considering part time hours whereas before they were only looking for full-time qualified drivers.

Dublin Express service expansion - Additional Departures on Route 784

According to the Dublin Express booking engine, route 784 will have expanded operating hours from next week resulting in a further 5 services in each direction every day with services starting earlier and finishing later.

• Additional Monday to Sunday services departing Harcourt LUAS at 07:30, 08:45, 19:35, 20:05 and 20:30.
    • Additional Monday to Sunday services departing Dublin Airport T1 at 06:50, 07:50, 18:50, 19:20 and 19:50.

In addition they are still advertising for drivers to expand their service, so I wouldn't be surprised to see further increases.

Aircoach service expansion latest

Aircoach have confirmed that they are currently looking to expand services in the next month or so. They are still openly advertising for drivers and it's believed this is the hold-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Does anybody know what the rates of pay are at Dublin Express and what they are like to work for, if you could message me it would be appreciated

Advertisement