Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Apprentice 2022

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Agreed about Harpreet, didn't Jordan from series 9 get instantly dismissed for something similar at the interviews stage?

Regarding the second part of your post, last time I checked the viewing figures were about 7 million in the UK, which is pretty consistent with what it would be usually, so I'm not sure it's down to any perceived lack of standard or quality as to why its not on Sunday this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

That's fair. From Wikipedia it does seem that the numbers are relatively stable/consistent so maybe I'm in the wrong there that viewership is dropping. In one regard, its incredible that its pumping out consistent numbers after all this time, I never would have thought it!

But not having that premier Sunday evening slot/pedestal is certainly indicative that something is different. I'd certainly be one to keep tuning into it but it is evident more than ever that the contestant pool is becoming weaker year on year and the format is becoming very stale and repetitive week on week. So maybe viewing numbers are consistent but actual interest, intrigue or buy-in isn't as high?

On the format, its mad to think that the series has now been about the business plan investment (Series 7-16) far longer than being the "becoming an apprentice" (Series 1-6).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think the format needs to change given that the winner is seeking investment from Sugar, perhaps start out with 50 people and their business idea, cut them down to the 12 over 3 initial episodes purely on hard interviews and questioning on their business idea/plan, then continue with normal format, sort of Dragon's Den meets Apprentice.

It looked like this series that not a single person in the know had looked at the business plans for either of the contestants to see they were actually investable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Jordan was deceit though, in that he hadn't told them. And also he was only willing (or able) to give up 20% of the business for the €250K.

The crucial difference this time is I think that Harpreet was up-front about it and it had been known by Sugar and the advisors from the start.

So it was just a 'bombshell' for the viewers when it was belatedly revealed us in the interviews. Purely a device to create some dramatic tension as it was pretty much the only thing which cast some small doubt on Harpreet advancing to the final.

It was certainly a bit different alright. That said, was she upfront though? Claude (I think it was) took issue that she claimed all the work in the business plan was her doing and that it was mentioned in the fine print that she owned only 50% of the business. I don't think she in any way proved that she sad the driving force in her business.

Plus there were no mechanics to remove her sister just a comment that "oh we spoke about that, and she'll just give it up" which in itself sounds ludicrous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Absolutely. The whole I bought your domain thing was purely for the entertainment factor (most of his stuff was). Worrying about your domain being taken is old hat these days. Hardly an issue since the early 2010s.

I agree the format needs a major reworking. I sometimes wonder are they somehow tied to a format based on the original franchise (maybe the former POTUS has a tight grip on the format) or can they change it as they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

'Why I Fired Them' is on tomorrow night on BBC1 at 10.35pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I watched a few best of Claude Littner videos on YouTube this morning, few crackers 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I’d love an episode that runs through the past winners of the 250k investment and where the companies/contestants are now. Even an episode on former candidates who didn’t win that are doing well.. considering they all say “this won’t be the last you here from me” in the taxi after getting fired.

I'd love to know if any of the contestants have attempted to "keep in touch" with Sugar, as he's sometimes encouraged some of the ones he's fond of to do. Equally, I'd like to know if he's really open to contact or if he leaves the phone off the hook 😅

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭leath_dub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,932 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Wrong thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

I feel there is alot less 'hype' and media coverage in general. Maybe cause I am older now I identify less with the contestants and most of my friends aren't watching; when I was watching the first few series I was similar age to the contestants etc. Before if I missed an episode you'd only have to open the Daily Mail or Irish Independent to see who had been fired. Now its buried in the newspaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

In fairness the show is approaching 20 years on air and is never going to be able to maintain such cultural relevance over such a long period.

In the states it adapted somewhat by becoming primarily The Celebrity Apprentice. I think the UK version had an opportunity to do similar by doing a bit more with the likes of The Junior Apprentice.

Yeah, Lord Sugar had no interest in continuing the apprentice hiring format which was why they shifted to business investments to keep on board. I'd say given his increasing age, he has no interest in changing tact on that. If I remember correctly, he donates his fee to charity so he's really only interested in the entrepreneurial side despite how basic the contestants seem these days.

So it's keep going as is or replace him and I can't see anyone else doing it after so long and it working.

That said, I'd watch a series of Claude ripping apart business plans. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think reality shows do this over time, what the people want out of it changes over time. I think a lot just want a bit of exposure for whatever reason. It was like big brother which started with some what normal people doing something and became like a freak show over time as it attracted different people for different reasons. It became car crash tv which was successful in its own way but people lose interest over time in it.

I’d like to see Claude on Dragons Den.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Of the people who apply, I'd imagine a very small fraction have legitimate businesses s/plans and of those, only a smaller fraction would make for entertaining tv. This is why we get the likes of Akshey and Brittany

I'd say very few people who are seeking genuine investment would ever want to go near The Apprentice. I definitely wouldn't

Post edited by siblers on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,720 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Ironically enough the dragons would all be small fry compared to Alan sugar, he would probably worth as much as all the dragons combined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

These cakes look very dry. Where is the cream??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Always gets me how they haven’t a clue about a brand name or what their logo/branding may look like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Xander10

Why does the pharmacist were a pilot's jacket?

Catherine will do well in Dublin with all the huns who wear their parjarmars to the shops.

My cat is very annoyed and says he wants Harpreet to win.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I've never cared less who won an apprentice final. Nice enough ladies but very ordinary businesses really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Harpreet the obvious choice and deserving winner.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Brittany has a primary school teacher vibe

I presume Sugar gets paid more than the €250k he gives away?

Really poor line up this year and nothing original on offer.

I did a quick calculation and based on his current net worth he could give away 250k a week and wouldnt run out of money for 92 years - I doubt he is losing money though I doubt he really cares about that side of it, probably in it for profile/publicity reasons, he's getting something out of it for sure

Let's face it, if he wanted to set up a cake shop or a pyjama website he could do it much better than any of these contestants using all the experts he gets to judge the tasks - so I dont think he is in it to unearth some unicorn business idea either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I think I read that he donates his show fee to Great Ormand St.

The final is usually the first episode of the season. This year was no different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The final is usually the first episode of the season. This year was no different.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I turned over to the World Cup qualifier playoffs half way through tonight’s show, I just didn’t care which one of them won in the end.

Two massively underwhelming finalists.

The fact that Harpreet got to the final despite her venture being 50:50 owned with someone else would never have happened before and just shows how shallow the pool was.

Katherine hadn't a hope with her online pyjama business. She was drowning since the beginning but as soon as she mentioned the 250k partially going to influencers she was dead in the water.

As another poster said, I had utterly no interest in either candidate winning. Awful episode.

On another note, Nick really thinks he's the second coming of christ. 😂

Claude was badly missed from the weekly shows. I thought the new guy brought nothing from an entertainment perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Think if Naveem (the pharmacist contestant) was in anyway half decent he’d have lasted. None of the rest of them had a decent business proposition.

katherine didn’t accept that jungle print is no longer en vogue - that seemed to annoy L. Sugar.

I can’t imagine putting PJ’s on my dog - she’d go nuts !

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭al87987

Harpreet was a fantastic candidate, really investable no matter what her business was she was always going to win. Really driven, competent and you could tell how much her fellow candidates respected her, for instance when Akshay spoke up without being prompted.

Sugar never usually invests in the store owner who just wants to open another store but with her it was a no-brainer.

Good to have the show back but they really just need to mix up the tasks in future as far too many that we have seen over and over again at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"katherine didn’t accept that jungle print is no longer en vogue"

but at the presentation, she had already answered that criticism by saying that it was in the previous year's collection of Dolce & Gabbana or some such brand. Clearly, she had her finger on the pulse in that respect.

Wonder what the craic was with Aaron. He was there for a good chunk of the process, but his firing happened really abruptly and he wasn't in the final

I think Katherine's was a nonsense idea tbh. I know matching pj's are a bit of a novelty for Christmas eve (or for the toy show here), but apart from that I'm struggling to see when you would be bothered

When you break her 'business' down, you're spot on, its a nonsense idea. But more than that, how it actually made it onto the show seems bewildering as its more like a hobby she has on the side rather than an actual plan with merit. Whilst I think the idea of giving the deal to someone who co-shares a business is flawed and undermines the process, Katherine's business seemed entirely underdeveloped and not at all feasible. I do think that Harpreet wouldn't have stood a chance if there was any credible business plans in the final four.

• Advertisement

I feel like Aaron was remarkably average throughout the process, never good enough to get sustained acclaim and never bad enough to be at fault up until the episode where he was fired (where he was an awful PM; but fair to note that everyone was awful in that task).

Harpreets deserts looked totally over the top, too much for one person so maybe best to share, but 2 people buying 1 desert is not good for business. Plus at a time when we need to reduce obesity it’s probably not a good idea to spend your time in a desert shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

exactly my thinking too. Maybe ye might go once a month or so?

I reckon there will be no more of her shops and he will put her into a managerial role of something else, in which I have no doubt she will do very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Thursday 5th January 2023 for series 135 of this infuriating nonsense which drags me in every time.

(I'm already getting annoyed in anticipation of Suicre's blatant inconsistencies)

The Apprentice 2023 | Start date, cast and news | Radio Times

I can't wait for it to irritate the life out of me.

Advertisement