Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which one of us is the D*ckhead?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,605 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Sorry, hard to determine if the mother is a milf. So inconclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

I had a similar incident to the OP at the weekend.

A truck driver decided it was a good idea to stop about 10 metres before a roundabout to let a dad and kids on bikes cross the road.

The truck driver beeped and gestured at me as I went past, because I didn't stop to let the family cross the road. He must think he's some kind of hero going around looking after vulnerable pedestrians and cyclists all day. In fact he actually created a really dangerous situation here and he expected me to stop on a roundabout to let people cross the road, making the situation even more dangerous. There wasn't even much traffic. If he didn't stop and cause a queue of cars behind him, the road would have been clear soon enough and the family would be on their way. It's scary that this braindead idiot is in control of an articulated truck.

People will cross the road when it's safe for them to do so. Kids are taught this in school. We don't need people like this idiot confusing things and even possibly putting pressure on people to cross when it's not particularly safe to do so.

Also, you can see 2 cars ahead doing the same as me - driving normally and not stopping in a stupid place because some truck driver thinks he controls the road. What a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

It's an interesting one. Over in the UK that's now the rule (to stop), as with many European countries.

Wonder if there is/will be similar rules introduced in Ireland.

Stopping tho (when it's not the rule) is still dangerous. It's unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

you had a lot of time to stop there and read the situation, i have to say i would have stopped personally it was very safe to do so

• Advertisement

You'd be wrong to do so.

Nobody is expecting a car exiting a roundabout to stop abruptly. There's a high chance that someone behind me would run into the back of me, possibly shunting me forward causing me to hit one of the cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

honestly i think you were oblivious to what was going on and didn't read the situation, if the roads were mad busy i'd agree with you, but not in the clip you have shown here, and you called the driver of the truck all sorts of names when he was trying to help a young family on bikes cross the road.

Yea because he created a dangerous situation.

What would happen if someone started to cross the road from the truck drivers left hand side? There's a good chance that he won't see them as his attention is on the cyclists. Cyclists could cross quickly compared to a pedestrian from his left, then he takes off and flattens a pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

I think people should park their " virtue signaling " + " good deed of the day " stuff for a moment and concentrate on the rules of the road / road conditions .

Road is obviously a dangerous stretch of road ( judging by the continuous white line prohibiting overtaking ) .

Small truck driver stops , causing obstruction opposite continuous white line . Small truck driver flashes main beam headlights into oncoming traffic ( another safety issue ) .

Responsibility on pedestrians to find safe crossing point on road + wait for break in traffic to cross road .

I'm sure you can work out who I think was at fault in this situation ? ( Hint , not the OP ) .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

It's happened me a few times when someone has stopped or slowed down to let me across.

I hate it. I've in the past just put my hand up politely and walked on without crossing. I've to think of my own safety first.

Got a filthy look from a driver once, he must've thought I was messing with him.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

You can clearly see that there actually is a crossing at each of the roads on that roundabout, and while it's not a black and white zebra crossing, the path is cut into the little island and lowered for pedestrians on both sides, so yes, it should be expected by any motorist that there could be people crossing at this point and that any car in front could stop abruptly. In any event, the rules require a following vehicle to maintain enough distance to the vehicle in front to be able to stop suddenly, at any time and for any reason. If you had stopped and were hit from behind, it would be that motorist's fault for following too closely and not paying enough attention to the conditions ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is no obligation to stop driving for people who are stood on the path in safety…

the is an obligation on the dîckhead in the van that they continue to make progress and not stop in the middle of the road obstructing traffic.

there is an obligation on the dîckhead in the van that they don’t make obscene gestures at oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭kirving

Is there a second camera angle from the rear of the OP's car that I'm missing? "Trying to help" is not a good enough reason to induce pressure onto the pedestrians, and cause the OP to come to a full stop with cars behind.

....suddenly, at any time and for any reason. If you had stopped and were hit from behind, it would be that motorist's fault for following too closely and not paying enough attention to the conditions ahead.

Very easy to quote the rules of the road online, less so when you're the vulnerable one waiting to be hit from behind, due to someone else's "helpfulness". Go and ride a bike on the road, and you'll very quickly get very annoyed at pedestrians stepping out in front of you in case they cause you to stop. No point being right if you're dead.

Yes people should drive with enough distance from the car in front to avoid collisions, but in reality this doesn't happen. Unnecessarily stopping at the exit of a roundabout, in my opinion, is dangerous and is likely to cause a collision. You'd fail your driving test if you did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

I wouldn't just be concerned about getting hit from behind, I'd be concerned about getting hit from behind and getting shunted into crossing pedestrians who could get injured. You're far too reliant on traffic behind you being on-the-ball to be stopping in this situation. Lets face it, many drivers are on autopilot a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The truck driver.

Virtue signaling gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Whocare

🤣 doing right thing. By almost causing a someone to get killed. They do say common Sense isn't Common

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

The vulnerable road users are the cyclists and pedestrians. I do cycle a bike, often, and get most annoyed at motorists cutting across me, overtaking dangerously, swerving deliberately at me, running through red lights, etc. Pedestrians pose far less danger to cyclists and certainly to motorists.

Would you fail your driving test for following dangerously close and not paying attention to vulnerable road users? Would you fail your test if you hit a pedestrian? My point was that if the car in front suddenly has to stop, for any reason, you should be in a position to stop too. If you're too close, or there's another car too close behind you, then there's possibly going to be a collision. If someone in front of you does something wrong, then you have to be in a position to react to that. If you're not, then it's possible that you are also doing something wrong.

In my opinion, driving too close to the car in front is dangerous and can lead to a collision. If enough space is maintained then you have time to react to whatever happens ahead and avoid a collision. If the car in front of you at that roundabout had been going straight instead of right, and had decided to stop, then looking at your speed and distance there I think you'd have had time to stop safely. If you had been travelling too close, or were speeding, then you may not be able to stop in time. In that case I maintain it would have been your fault for driving without enough care. Even if the car in front were completely wrong to stop, that doesn't absolve someone following of any fault.

The same timber van count will be the guy pulling out in front of you at a side-road junction

• Registered Users Posts: 19,975 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I've been walking a lot with the baby recently and people stop in strange places to let you cross the road with a buggy. I know they do it with the best of intentions, but they're more likely to cause an accident by stopping unexpectedly in a road without any obstructions, than if they just drove on and I waited for a safe time to cross.

I'd just drive on and let let the people crossing find a good time to cross.

• Advertisement

My concern is the car behind me. I can't control the distance between them and me. Unnecessarily stopping increases the chances of a collision. People tend to drive erratically on roundabouts. In my opinion, stopping at the exit of a roundabout is dangerous. They are designed to allow traffic to flow and people aren't expecting to have to stop suddenly at or before an exit.

Roundabouts with pedestrian pathways, but NOT pedestrian crossings, are a pet hate of mine for this very reason. I have a few near me and often, a car stops suddenly to let the pedestrian cross the road- you’re right, you don’t ordinarily expect to stop suddenly when exiting a roundabout. However more and more, I tend to slow right down in built up areas when exiting roundabouts as invariably some motorist will stop suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You can look behind before you brake though, and decide whether it is safe to stop or not.

You can. It's fair to say the bloke in the video above didn't mind there being cars behind him. Could have been a decent pile up with all those cars.

But, if you think about it, if there's no car behind you, then pedestrians have a good chance of crosing anyway, particularly in the roundabout scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Thats the thing in these situations.. you often realise that if you proceed as normal there is only one or two behind.

Alternatively if there are multiple people.. then why inconvenience the many to help the single person? I probably used to wave people on and flash all the time but I do it rarely now.

I know there is mixed opinion about Ashley Neal - but this shows the hidden danger - you see this happening all the time..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB9hIRUt6ZE

Great example. All done with the best intentions and the driver was to be helpful so I'm not having a pop at their intentions. Bit it's better to just drive on and only stop when other driver and pedestrians would expect you to stop like zebra crossings.

Not all pedestrians will get to cross the road within that short space of time. Older people, wheelchair users, parents pushing buggies all need extra time. Stopping safely and letting them cross gives vulnerable road users the time they need to cross safely.

That's true. Different people will take different time to cross the road. Im not aure how that really changes things though.

Those people will know how long it takes them to cross a road safely, so they can pick their moment better than any random motorist. It's also true that the busier the road is the harder it will be for them to pick a safe moment to cross. But the busier the road is, the more dangerous it is to other riad users to just stop in the road without any obvious obstruction.

I'd err on the side of just behaving normally as a motorist and allowing the pedestrians to find the right moment to cross safely.

They can’t pick their moment if there’s steady traffic. There’s often no moment that works for them. So a driver who can stop safely creates that moment, then traffic continues ahead after a short interruption.

• Advertisement

The problem with stopping to let people cross at random locations is that it causes confusion. Nobody is expecting a vehicle to just stop when traffic is flowing normally.

The person behind the stopped vehicle will most likely be able to ascertain why the vehicle has stopped. The rest of the cars behind have limited visibility of the situation.

Imagine this scenario. A van driver stops to let a dad with a buggy cross the road. As the dad and buggy are crossing in front of the van, a moped comes from behind the van. The moped driver can't see the dad and buggy and decides to overtake the van. Just as he gets to the front of the van, the buggy has cleared the van and the moped collides with the buggy. That child probably wouldn't survive. 

Do you still think it's safe to stop and let people cross the road at random locations?

Advertisement