Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conor McGregor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,158 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah I struggle to stay under the limit in my 2L diesel there , I actually have watch the speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

I feel this man will pass away in his sixties, a legend in his own mind, remembered by many, but with poor health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

what will his legacy be, to be considered a legend?

He manifested his potential as a larger than life character in the public imagination, earned riches, became a historical character for better or worse, probably has children all over too

hes highly narcissistic, is that truly someone to look up to? hes clearly a typical narcissist, an absolute arsehole!

• Advertisement

Was napoleon narcissistic , this pocket sized chieftain, caused untold suffering and still admired by many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Never said he did but i have a feeling your understanding of my point has flown above your head. That's ok gmisk, i'm sure you'll find other 3 month old posts to find something to give out about.

The wages in the ufc are quite poor and he made 150m so that’s it really :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I also thought , Bentley very picky about their customer base, maintaining high standards , image etc.

Clearly I was mistaken 😏

Astonishes me this odious character is actually considered a role model 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

possibly, dont know much about the chap, so whats your point here, are people who cause suffering to others heros or something?

• Advertisement

whether is is the Dali lama or a cage fighter, some people have the potential to blossom , into heroes or monsters, for the rest of us we should admire at a distance, is my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Conor was never good

Best wins were his early ones over Dustin & Max, as they went on to have much better records than him.

Got his title shot after beating bum Denis Siver.

Struggled to beat an off the couch Chad Mendes who he massively outweighed.

Beat Aldo who was on the decline after a lengthy career and two back to back wars with Mendes, Conor also significantly outsized Aldo as this was pre-IV ban.

Lost to an off the couch Nate Diaz, who has one of the worst records of any active UFC fighter.

Struggled to split decision Nate in the rematch after a full camp preparing for him.

Beat journeyman turned accidental champion Eddie Alverez, who Conor himself repeatedly referred to as a journeyman and novice.

Demolished by Khabib.

"Comeback" fight against Cerrone was a farce, Cowboy is probably the only fighter who's record can rival Nate's

Finished by Dustin who actually grew as a fighter and who's resume is far far superior to Conor's

Was spared the indignity of being pieced up by Dustin again by breaking his leg.

I'll leave out his foray into boxing, as anyone who knows anything about the sport will recognise that he was toyed with and exposed as a novice.

But sure, he made loads of money so none of this matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They are totally different characters. It was an extremely weak and pointless comparison, one of them seems totally obsessed with fame and money...the other a lot less so.

McIlroy is not a scumbag.

Let's be honest McGregor is likely to keep doing crappy things for the rest of his life...a nasty piece of work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Made loads money off suckers, friends with shady & dodgy people including violent dictators. Not a role model but doubt if anyone cares about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

That’s my fear too, do you refer to natural causes? Or a character like that is probably using drugs into middle age

hes probably very prone to addictions, so......

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

I don't like McGregor, but I do love the reaction he creates among the sophisticated snobs on our Island.

Very much an uncultured scrote - and a thug - from a rough northside suburb, is one of Ireland's most famous exports to the world... which creates a problem for the people who are very careful to craft our image on the world stage.

The national shame and embarrassment is palpable! lol

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

Hopefully he has stayed away from needles anyway, I suppose a fighter like that will have little interest in opiates during his career, but once the lights and glory begins to fade probably he is dabbling, god knows he probably has injuries too. Do these lads take steroids or anything to bump their strength?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭thefallingman

unfortunately addiction is common enough in such situations, many of these sports are not as regulated as some sports, over drug use, so we ve no idea what some of these lads are taking, he could have been pumped with god knows what, throughout his career, wouldnt be surprised if he was, and still is... also wouldnt be surprised if he has long term injuries either, tough sport

if I had to guess, this guy will have done plenty of cocaine and amphetamines (pills mixed with metha, sulphate, paste before he became famous) then he dabbled with downers to deal with pain, if this is the case he is putting huge pressure on his heart and he is only mid thirties

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Or he might punch the wrong auld lad and end up getting shot. It's not an impossibility. He is known to hang around with some undesirables.

I see, so he hangs around with the homeless ;) does he, I don’t know his background, I try not to judge

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

Yeah, the problems arise when the undesirables clash with the untouchables... resulting in the unfathomable! 😆

He certainly seems on a path to the gutter. But it seems like he might have crawled out of one in the first place, so he might find that it's a nice fit for him. (unlike those suits he wears)

There is a myriad of things that could take him down.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

My suggestion is weak heart around age of 59. No one will shoot a boho like that for fear of the media interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he is, which was not on the north side of dublin the last time I checked. some people just like "owning the libs" even if it exposes their ignorance.

McGregor moved to the "mean streets" of Lucan as a young teenager it should be pointed out.

He's very much a scumbag by choice.

• Advertisement

based on your evidence that he "was never good" i gather he was actually quite good

Advertisement