Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

We're driving to Disneyland in July. Well Val d'europe to be exact. Will be first time driving in or around Paris and bit nervous about it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 garrethr

Going to the Loire Valley this year, Saumur, staying at Domaine de la Breche.

Wondering has anyone stayed in this area and any recommendations for day trips for young kids, 3 and 5 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

You'll be grand. Put the satnav on the dash and keep moving forward. Foreign reg cars are (nearly) always given space for late lane changes. I find it much easier driving in Europe with the Irish reg car than a rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Doug Stamper

@BullBauld, we did a similar trip in 2019, where we brought our own car to Ivry Sur Seine. The familiarity of driving your own car will make life easier in busy traffic rather than driving a rental. Once you have a calm co-pilot and a good sat nav/ map app set up for all journeys, you'll be sorted. It was great to have the car for trips to Disneyland, Versailles and the zoo. Everywhere else we used the Metro. Make sure to get your Crit dAiron the windscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ftm2008

looking to do a trip short stay in Disney & then a campsite

anyone know of any good campsites withing say 3hrs or so of DLP.. all the ones i see so far dont look to have the quality of those around vendee or britttany

best i see so far are https://www.campinglacapricieuse.com/en/ or https://www.sandaya.co.uk/our-campsites/cote-de-nacre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

La Croix Du Vieux Pont is a great site

Available through Eurocamp, & others

Within a 90 minute drive of Paris & around an hour from Disneyland Paris & Parc Asterix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Anyone doing fly / drive book car hire yet? prices are insane, ford fiesta for 2 weeks is coming in at just under a grand. last time we travelled I paid 580!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Friends are doing fly/drive into Bordeaux. Paid €1,150 for 3 weeks in a larger hatchback type car. For July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

thats a lovely site so it is! it would be one of the first places chosen when family members head to france.

• Advertisement

yeah, its mental, I'd be half tempted to go on the spanish equivalent of donedeal and buy a banger!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I’m having the same problem from Nice. The best I’ve come up with so far is a company called Virtuo, basically all done on line so no check in etc. Much cheaper but don’t know if I’m brave enough as it’s a fairly new concept. Alternatively have you looked at getting a transfer or train from the airport then hiring from the campsite. Seems like the cheapest option but a bit of a faff!

I pulled the trigger the other night, €952 with a crowd called centauro for a 'C' class car - (fiat tipo or ford focus size). for the sake of €20 when I was booking, I opted for the express pickup, basically, no need to go to any desk, simply scan a QR code on your phone at an automated locker and it drops out the keys for you.

I have to upload my passport / licence etc beforehand, but I think it might be worth the convenience of getting on the road straight away without any faffing. I was also able to add the cross border insurance (im landing in barcelona and driving north to france) painlessly, which can't be done online with a lot of other rental crowds it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

I would second this post. Lovely site. We stayed there with Eurocamp. Kids loved it. Great location as already mentioned near DLP, Parc Asterix and Versailles.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

Anyone have any good recommendations where to rent a roof rack with bars in Ireland before getting the ferry to France ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Worth watching DD and adverts and buying a 2nd hand one for the same price as renting one for a week. Bought ours 2nd hand 8 yrs ago. Worth the investment. Even if u have to buy the bars in Halfords

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kfc1

Les Charmettes / Bonne Anse or Seqouia Park???

Decided to bite the bullet & head back to France. Narrowed down to these 3 sites and wondering does anyone know which has the better/bigger pools & slides?? Like that Seqouia has indoor pool... Travelling end July so wondering if best to opt for there of Bonne Anse as they seem to have less pitches so in turn pools may be quieter?? Was in Belle Italia 2 years ago and barely standing room in the pools😣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just a reminder here folks, having being in touch with Eurocamp re our upcoming trip to Des Ormes with the eldest grandchild, some campsites aren't letting kids through the gates of the sites unless the child of relevant age is vaccinated. Others appear to be letting children into the sites but denying them access then to cafés, restaurants, pools etc.

Lad in Cork told me that it appears to be down to the individual site which way they operate.

That's allowing for the fact if you can get on the ship or plane in the first place.

Post edited by Fann Linn on

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

I'd imagine by the summer this won't be a concern. For example they are already alerting that Djokovic will be able to compete by late May.

https://www.cbssports.com/tennis/news/novak-djokovic-will-likely-be-able-to-participate-in-french-open-as-france-lifts-vaccine-requirement/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭webpal

Has anyone used club class? Are the drinks and snacks unlimited? Does priority boarding mean first off? Is there a limit on numbers or could it be packed? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭kindalen

It can be busy, no free alcohol on France route. Some nice seats, lots of kids in the summer, quieter outside school holidays. Speedy exit is what you need to pay for if you want to be first off. I find it is handy for wifi and tea/coffee or soft drink and few little snacks. It is not like a fancy airport lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭webpal

Thanks, are the drinks (tea/coffee and soft drinks) unlimited? You have to extra for speedy exit with this? Is Wi-Fi free too? I see they only give you 20 mins elsewhere on the boat now and you have to buy more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭kindalen

Drinks are unlimited, speedy exit is extra(about a tenner or twenty euro each way). Wifi is free in the lounge,it is more for whatsapp, not really up to streaming movies/youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Hi,

Does anyone get breakdown insurance? Thinking about getting it.

if so what site do you use?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

I take the breakdown insurance option included with my annual VHI travel insurance policy, I find it to be a good value for money way of doing it. I can’t give any opinion on the quality of the cover as I’ve never yet had to actually use it but I’ve always found the VHI annual policy to provide very good cover in the areas I have had to call on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

it looks like France has removed the requirement for vaccine passes everywhere except health settings and masks are only required on public transport, effective from today.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/13/france-lift-most-covid-controls-macron-rides-high-polls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

P&O tying up their ships prior to major announcement. Will likely have knock on effects for people on here doing landbridge. Announcement on rte website.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

P&O pulling the same trick as Irish Ferries did a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Came home yesterday to a lovely speeding ticket from when we were in the South of France last October. Caught doing 97kph in a 90kph zone, with a €45 fine. Took them all this time to track me down probably because I was driving a rental. Fairly easy to pay online. Lesson learned...

Advertisement